North Wales Coast East – Rhyl 1879 hit seven and are now league’s only unbeaten team

CPD Y Rhyl 1879’s Carl Lamb (10) heads for goal. Picture: RAY HIBBS



CPD Rhyl 1879 7
Llandudno Junction 1

Rhyl are now the only unbeaten team in the North Wales Coast East Premier after Saturday’s demolition of the Junction.

Gareth Thomas’ side are six points off top spot, but have three games in hand on both the leading two.

Rhyl exploded into life after only three minutes when the pacey Macauley Taylor ran through on goal and fired home.

Six minutes later 1879 doubled their lead when Zac Tyler-Holland applied a lovely composed finish.

In no time, Tyler-Holland again pounced in the box for his second goal and Rhyl’s third on 15 minutes.

Leading goal-scorer Carl Lamb got in on the action with another nice low finish before Taylor registered number five with a brave header.

Just before the half time whistle, Tyler-Holland made it an impressive 6-0 for the hosts with his first hat-trick for the team.

The second half was a very different affair and credit must go to the visitors who looked a different outfit after their interval team talk.

They got their only goal almost immediately from kick off, catching the home team cold with a nice headed finish by Jack Williams.

There was one more goal for the home fans to applaud, a deflected shot from 1879’s Elliot Evans making it a 7-1 win.

Meliden 3
Llandyrnog United 0

Match report by Ron Squire

Meliden lie an impressive fifth in the Premier after making it six wins in seven outings.

In a tempo not seen in the last couple of matches, the hosts started slowly and did not get into the game until it was 20 minutes old.

Home keeper Chris Wright was called into action on more than one occasion to deny the visitors any goals.

As the first half progressed, Meliden started to pick up the pace and the home supporters were rewarded with a goal on 33 minutes when Sam Haddon drove in a free kick from the right wing, which the unmarked Paul Welburn reacted fastest to with a left-footed volley to make it 1-0.

The Miners started the better in the second half, and on 48 minutes, Sam Duffy’s goalbound shot was blocked, but Luke Elden was on hand to turn the ball into the net.

Manager Gareth Jones made a bunch of substitutions which included the introduction of Lucas Edwards to give the Miners a new injection of pace which paid off on 82 minutes.

Edwards rolled the ball from the right, playing in Duffy who turned his marker. His first shot was cleared off the line, but Duffy had a second bite of the cherry and made it 3-0.

Glan Conwy 3
Bro Cernyw 1

Liam Griffiths, Adam Jones and new signing Adam Coburn made the scoresheet for Glan in this impressive win achieved despite the absence of several regulars.

After a goalless first half, Griffiths broke the deadlock on 52 minutes with a cultured first-time finish.

Jones rounded off a good move to make it 2-0 before Rhidian Williams quickly replied for Cernyw.

The hosts sealed it on 86 minutes when Coburn broke forward and fired home in style.

Rhuddlan Town 5
Kinmel Bay 3

Rhuddlan’s Joel Poh (red) is surrounded by Kinmel Bay defenders. Picture: BARRY GRIFFITHS

An eight-goal cracker ended in triumph for Rhuddlan.

Town struck first in the 16th minute when Ray Knight turned and fired home after taking on a good pass from Mathew Beach.

Kinmel levelled in the 30th minute with a well-directed header into the top corner from Dan Wickerson.

The hosts came flying out the blocks for the second half, Joel Poh assisting Josh Brown to make it 2-1 on 53 minutes.

Two minutes later Poh laid on another, this time for Knight.

Probably the goal of the game saw Beach lob the keeper from distance for 4-1.

Kinmel rallied, Kieran Ellis netting in the 82nd minute, then Paul Brady made it 4-3 with 89 on the clock.
Rhuddlan settled it when Brown scored his second with a lovely finish in the 90th.

Connor Bucknall had a fine game as stand-in keeper for the hosts.

Kinmel Bay team manager Frank Woods reflected on recent transfers of some players, but noted also the team played vigorous co-ordinated football, newer players blended well and with commitment.

Mochdre Sports 1
Llanfairfechan Town 0

Nic Bould saved a penalty for Mochdre Sports

Up to third after a fourth league win in a row, Mochdre had to work hard to defeat a competitive Llanfairfechan side.

The first half saw Mochdre create numerous half chances but could not find that killer pass in the final third.

The second half was a much more even contest and Llanfairfechan earned a penalty in the 52nd minute, Mochdre keeper Nic Bould dived low to his left and kept the ball out – a real let off for Sports.

In the 76th minute, Mochdre substitute Niall Owen found himself free in the penalty box and calmly slotted the ball past the Llanfairfechan keeper to clinch the points.

Llannefydd 2
Prestatyn Sports 1

Second-place Llannefydd became the first team to beat Sports in the league this season.

As a result, Gwyndaf Pritchard’s side moved level with the Prestatyn-based table-toppers on 25 points.

In a tight, close first half, Llion Morris gave Llannefydd the lead in the 36th minute.

Two great blocks from the home defence denied Sports a goal and the visitors’ striker Ian Griffiths had one ruled out for offside.

James Witherspoon levelled for the away side on 66 minutes, but Elgan Roberts struck the winner after 83.

Llansannan 2
Penmaenmawr Phoenix 1

Former Burnley and Rhyl striker Leon Gierke’s double clinched three great points for Llansannan.

Gierke, also an ex-Denbigh Town goal poacher, netted on 55 and 87 minutes to seal the win, Daniel Williams replying.


Cerrigydrudion maintained their four-point lead at the summit after a narrow 2-1 win at Rhyl All Stars.

Usual suspects Tirion Griffiths and Tomos Tryfan Jones put the visitors two-up before Joe Smith responded.

Cerrig have still lost just once in 16 league outings.

Abergele pipped NFA 2-1, Dom Holland and Ant Zoezee with the home goals, Paul Vinall for the visitors.

Rhyl Dragons romped to an 11-0 victory at Betws-y-Coed, Adam Cassidy and Nathan Griffiths notching four apiece, Danny Williams (2) and Dale Lewis the rest.

Llanelwy Athletic are second, four points behind Cerrig with four games in hand, after a 7-0 breeze at Henllan.

Joel Rowlands hit four, Daniel Porter two and Jack James a single.

Llandudno Amateurs earned a 5-2 success over a very useful Rhos United side who have not lost many this term.

Mike Chapman (2), Chris Smyth, Sean Sharp and Joe Jones shared the home haul, Adam Noble and Ben Wheeler for the visitors.

Connor Morris and Dan Batey both delivered doubles for Llysfaen in an impressive 7-1 caning of Penrhyn Bay Dragons.

Alec Jones, Craig Bond and Nathan Russell added singles, Jake Reynolds with three assists, while Jamie Ricketts was on target for the Dragons.

Y Glannau overcame Caer Clwyd 3-1, Chris Rogers, Chris McQuillen and Gerard O’Malley the home hitmen, Kieran Kendrick for the losing side for whom Craig Lavery missed a penalty.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: