Mynydd Llandegai up next for 1876 – plus full report on Menai derby

Dean Redmond scored for Menai Bridge Tigers in their 3-1 defeat at Bangor 1876 on Wednesday

Bangor 1876 will travel the short distance to Mynydd Llandegai on Saturday for what will be the first competitive fixture between the clubs.

Fan-owned 1876 made it eight straight wins in the North Wales Coast West Premier Division on Wednesday when they triumphed 3-1 in a tough battle with Menai Bridge Tigers.

Llandegai are 10th in the 15-team division with two wins, a draw and four defeats so far, but can be very tricky opposition to overcome.

Wednesday’s derby with the Tigers proved quite a test for 1876. Here is Dr Jonathan Ervine’s full match report.……

Bangor 1876 3 Menai Bridge Tigers 1

Less than 40 yards separate the grounds where Bangor 1876 and Menai Bridge Tigers play their home games, and there was little between them in the opening period of a league match under the floodlights at Treborth.

Jamie Petrie had the first chance of the game in the fifth minute but shot into the side net after breaking into the right side of the visitors’ penalty area. It was one of relatively few opportunities in the opening period.

Bangor 1876 captain Michael Johnston had a shot at goal that took two deflections on the way through to the visiting goalkeeper. Shortly before half-time Les Davies’ header from a Joe Culshaw corner was well saved by visiting goalkeeper Gethin Hughes.

HALF-TIME: Bangor 1876 0-0 Menai Bridge Tigers

The deadlock was broken within the opening minutes of the second period.

Davies pressed an opposing defender high up the pitch before playing in a cross from the left-hand side that was finished well at the back post by Chris Jones.

After the opening goal, the game opened up. Jones found space on the right and played an inviting ball across the Menai penalty area but it just eluded the onrushing Luke Steele. Moments later, Davies fired just wide from 20 yards.

At the other end, Bridge remained a threat and had a chance when Callum Davidson broke into the right side of the 1876 penalty area but the ball was cleared for a corner.

Shortly after the midway point, a powerful shot by Steele from the edge of the area was palmed away well by Hughes.

Tom Clarke missed narrowly before Davies’ strike was saved.

With 13 minutes remaining, it looked like Bangor would pay for these missed opportunities when visiting striker Dean Redmond broke through and beat Ben Heald with a calm finish.

However, the visitors only remained on level terms for five minutes. Jamie Petrie latched onto a neat pass with eight minutes left before rounding the visiting keeper and finishing well.

Ben Owen had an opportunity to extend the advantage but his shot hit the post about good lead-up play by substitute Harry Galeotti.

With five minutes remaining another goal did arrive and it was much to the pleasure of the home fans.

Petrie turned provider as his cross from the left was side-footed in at the back post by Corey Jones.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: