Cymru North: Wins for Holywell, Ruthin, Guilsfield, Gresford, Airbus and Llandudno

Joy for Holywell manager Johnny Haseldin (dark jacket) as he celebrates his team’s first league win. Picture: LEE PAUL DOUGLAS


Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant 0
Holywell Town 4 (Andrews 16 & 81, Edwards 31, Cooke 72)

Report: Mr Steve Roberts

At the seventh attempt Holywell picked up their first league victory of the season with an impressive 4-0 triumph in Powys.

It was a fully-deserved result for Johnny Haseldin’s team, who have performed well in most games but often not had the rub of the green.

Saturday’s opponents Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant were also looking to chalk their first three points on the board.

The Wellmen started strongly, a low dangerous delivery into the box by Jake Cooke fumbled by home keeper Lee Andrew, but unfortunately for Town, the ball rolled just wide of the right hand post.

Fantastic camera work from LEE PAUL DOUGLAS as he captures a Holywell goal

With 16 minutes played, Cooke was brought down on the edge of the box. Danny Andrews’ free kick flew into the top corner giving the keeper no chance and the visitors were ahead.

Just past the half-hour, Town doubled their lead. A corner was only partially cleared, Ilan ap Gareth whipped in a cross and Zebb Edwards headed powerfully into the back of the net.

Shortly before the break, Holywell were reduced to 10 men after Edwards received a red card for a foul.

Half-time: 0-2

Despite having to play the whole second half a player short, the travellers continued to impress.

Andrews was denied by Andrew before the Wellmen made it 3-0 on 72 minutes.

Breaking well down the right, Dylan Allshorn’s cross was met by Cooke, whose rabona beat the keeper and the ball flew into the net.

Goal celebration time for the visitors. Picture: LEE PAUL DOUGLAS

Llan still pressed to get back into the game and glovesman Keighan Jones had to run out of his penalty area and head the ball away with the home side striker bearing down on him.

Town grabbed their fourth on 81 minutes,

A Llanrhaeadr clearance found Myles Hart and his quick ball back upfield released Andrews, who steered past the advancing keeper.

Holyhead Hotspur 0
Ruthin Town 1 (Cumming pen 87)

Jamie Cumming’s 87th minute penalty secured the points for Ruthin and left the hosts gutted they had nothing to show from the game.

Hotspur manager Darren Garmey said: “This was another game that got away from us following a performance that just about merited a win.

“We were guilty of poor decision-making in the final third throughout the game and some poor finishing as well.

“Their penalty, which by the way according to the rules should not have been awarded, was their only shot on target in the second half. But credit to them for always staying in the game and taking the 3 points.

“We will move on quickly from this knowing that it wasn’t the worst performance and look ahead to Conwy next week.”

The first half saw Liam Morris fail to take a one-on-one opportunity for the hosts, shooting wide.

Mel McGinness also missed the target after working himself into a good position.

Several chances came Hotspur’s way after the break, but not one was taken.

Dylan Summers Jones worked keeper Ryan Goldston on a few occasions, while a Morris effort was saved point blank from five yards out and then the rebound scuffed over the crossbar in what was the last kick of the game.

Guilsfield 2 (Hyne 2, Matthews pen 76)
Conwy Borough 1 (Williams 70)

Guilsfield remain top of the table and the only unbeaten side in the Cymru North following Saturday’s narrow 2-1 victory over Conwy at Clos Mytton.

Jamie Hyne put the Powys table-toppers ahead as early as the second minute and no further goals arrived before half time.

On 70 minutes, Nathan Williams headed in Conwy’s equaliser but a Iwan Matthews penalty won it for Guils.

Bangor City 0
Gresford Athletic 2 (Lloyd 80, Ellis 90)

Graphic from Gresford Athletic Twitter page

Eight-man Bangor City’s love affair with red cards this season saw them have three players sent off in a fiery clash at Nantporth.

To focus too much on the home side’s lack of discipline, though, would be detracting from a fine away performance from a very focused Gresford.

City’s problems began when Giacomo Mello was sent off in the 28th minute for violent conduct.

In the 75th minute, Citizens substitute Daniel Mullarkey received a second yellow card for disputing the referee’s arguably controversial decision not to award the hosts a penalty.

Gresford capitalised on this, finally scoring in the 79th minute through lively substitute Rhys Lloyd, who tapped in from a rebounded Joe Chaplin effort.

During the goal celebrations, City keeper Lewis Brass, the former Connah’s Quay Nomads and Caernarfon Town stopper, was shown Bangor’s third red card of the game for arguing with the referee.

Another Gresford substitute, Harvey Ellis, rounded off a successful performance with a goal in the 91st minute, blasting into the top corner first time from a Matthew Worrall cross.

Llanidloes Town 2 (Bird 56, Carruthers 88)
Airbus UK Broughton 6 (Cornish 10, Peers 16 & 64, Davies 33, 42 & 89)

Goal machine Adam Davies made it 11 league goals for the season with a cracking hat-trick in his team’s 6-2 triumph at Victoria Park.

A seventh win in eight league starts keeps the Wingmakers second in the Cymru North table, just a point behind leaders Guilsfield.

Airbus broke the deadlock soon after George Peers replaced unfortunate muscle-injury victim Jake Eyre.

Beau Cornish found space on the edge of the box and his deflected strike trickled into the net to give Steve O’Shaughnessy’s side a well-deserved 10th minute lead.

In the 16th minute, Peers made it two when he latched onto a loose ball in the box and fired into the top corner.

After 30 minutes of relentless pressure, the visitors’ defence was finally called into action. Gaz Edwards was on hand to clear a shot off the goal-line.

Soon after Davies tapped in a rebound for 3-0 after Peers saw his close range shot parried.

Davies bagged his second on the brink of half time after making the most of Cornish’s inch-perfect through ball.

A bit of complacency from the Broughton boys allowed Connor Bird to pull one back for the Daffs 11 minutes into the second half.

However, in the 64th minute, Davies set up Peers to tap into the empty net.

Dafydd Carruthers notched Llanidloes’ second, but Airbus fittingly had the last word when Cornish teed up Davies for his treble.

Penrhyncoch 2 (Kellaway 30, Burrel 54)
Llandudno 3 (Seager 2, Marc Williams 56, Owen 90+2)

A fifth straight league win for Llandudno was secured by an added-time penalty from Morgan Owen.

Dean Seager got the Seasiders off to a flyer with a second-minute opener, but Geoff Kellaway levelled on the half hour.

It was on the cards when Ifan Burrel made it 2-1 to Penrhyn nine minutes into the second half, but it was not long before Marc Williams equalised.

There was plenty of lively debate over the awarding of the late penalty, but when everything had calmed up stepped Owen to slot in the decider.

Friday results

Colwyn Bay 3 (Tom McCready 31 & 64 pen; Robbie Parry 88)
Prestatyn Town 2 (Jamie Reed 43 & 90)

Llangefni Town 2 (James Phillips 33, James Saxon 63)
Buckley Town 3 (Jake Roberts 27, Josh Allen 73, Connor Littler 90+)

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: