Wednesday catch-up: wins for Chirk AAA, Saltney, Queen’s Park, Penrhyndeudraeth, New Brighton and Talysarn

Llannerchymedd defender Tomos Jones (green) rises for a header against Talysarn Celts. Picture: JOHN ELFRYN OWEN, CPD LLANNERCHYMEDD



New Brighton Villa 4 (Leigh Griffiths 8, Lewis Jones 25, Matty Robinson 55, Jared Jones 59)
Hawarden Rangers 0

New Brighton Villa recorded an emphatic 4-0 win over the last Welsh National League Division One champions Hawarden Rangers at the Estadio de Mark Lopez on Wednesday night.

The home side made a rampant start to this North East Wales League Premier Division derby and opened the scoring in the eighth minute as Leigh Griffiths met Lewis Jones’ low driven corner.

The Yellers ramped up the pressure and doubled their advantage on 25 minutes as Matty Robinson got on the end of a through ball before the onrushing keeper, allowing Lewis Jones to finish emphatically into the empty net from 25 yards out.

Just after the restart the best move of the match sealed the game as Aaron Davies slipped in man of the match Robinson who calmly dinked the ball over the goalkeeper to make it 3-0.

Minutes later NBV put the icing on the cake with a fourth goal after great work from Kris Turner found Jared Jones in the box. Jones capped off another sweeping move when he curled the ball into the top corner.

Tempers flared later into the second half as Hawarden’s Tom Swinburne received his marching orders for a second yellow card and was joined by goalscorer Jones with minutes to spare.

A well deserved win for the Yellers, who move into second place.


Llay Welfare 0
Chirk AAA 2 (Dale Davies 27 & 75 pen)

Report: Nigel Roberts

Two-goal star Dale Davies. Picture: Chirk AAA FC

A comfortable win for Chirk against Ardal North West side Llay.

Two goals for in-form striker Dale Davies put The Colliers through to the next round.

There were quite a few changes in the line up for Chirk, with Tom Roberts, Tom Faithfull, Will Evans, Nath Lavender, Jake Ellison, Davies and Alistair Gibson all coming into the starting 11.

Davies put Chirk ahead on 20 minutes and was a threat all night to the Llay defence.

Llay’s Johnny Taylor was sent off for violent conduct on 65 minutes before Davies wrapped up the win with a 75th minute penalty.

Llay’s manager Mike Gadie was shown yellow on 85 minutes before defender Kevin Hope also received a red for making a brilliant “save” to deny a Jake Ellison header.

From the resulting spot kick Davies failed to complete his hat-trick when his effort was brilliantly saved by Kyle Flower in the Llay goal.

FC Queen’s Park 2 (Danny Trow 21, James Gregory 39)
Rhostyllen 1 (Drew Wickens 85)

What a performance from tier 4 Queen’s Park as they knocked tier 3 outfit Rhostyllen out of the Challenge Cup.

The Park set off at a blistering pace and played some of the best football The Tip has witnessed during a great first 45 minutes.

From the back both Curtis Neary and Charlie Rowley were dictating play by constantly dropping deep to receive the ball off Joey Jones.

Danny Trow, making his first start for the side, was on great form as he constantly made himself available for the out ball. This set up a number of phases of play that allowed the Park to dominate.

Jake Harper thrived in his new number 10 role, while fellow 17-year-old Jon Roberts was finding time and space to prove a real handful.

It was these two that joined forces down the right, allowing Harper to whip in a delightful ball for Trow to score with a bullet header on 21 minutes.

Rhostyllen tried to push forward but Park kept pressing high and Trow managed to turn over the ball to release James Gregory, who jinked his way forward and buried home for 2-0.

After the break, Neary and Barry Torrence in centre midfield continued to prove different class.

However, the second half was a much tighter affair as tired legs and the inevitable Rhostyllen pressure started to come.

It was not until the 85th minute, though, that Drew Wickens pulled one back for the visitors and the Park held on for a magnificent win.

Brickfield Rangers 0
Saltney Town 4 (Addie Callaghan 22, 62 & 77, Steve Chiocchi pen 32)

Four days after knocking Brickfield out of the Welsh Cup, the Bordermen repeated the dose in the NEWFA Challenge Cup on Wednesday.

Progression this time was secured courtesy of a Ste Chiocchi penalty, plus a hat-trick from the impressive Addie Callaghan.

An excellent performance all round from the Saltney side.



Glantraeth 1 (Scott Hughes 36)
Penrhyndeudraeth 3 (Cai Henshaw 6 & 21, Tomos Smith 35)

Penrhyndeudraeth (yellow) in action at Glantraeth. Picture: WYNNE EVANS

Victory came at a price for Penrhyndeudraeth with fresh injuries picked up at Glantraeth leaving manager Iwan Williams with a number of potential absentees for Saturday’s home meeting with Gwalchmai.

Cai Henshaw, Iddon Price, Steve Jones and Iwan Thomas are all doubts for the weekend North Wales Coast West Premier Division battle at Maes-y-Parc.

On the plus side, other squad players may get a chance to shine against Anglesey’s Gwalchmai.

Henshaw netted twice in Wednesday’s success at Cae Glantraeth, with Tomos Smith also on the mark before Scott Hughes replied.

Manager Williams said: ”I thought we again started brightly and went 3-0 up deservedly with some well-worked creative goals.

To then concede a sloppy goal from basic mistakes was a bit disappointing but I can’t be too critical of the lads as that’s the first goal we’ve conceded in open play in 5 competitive games.

“We again saw the game out professionally and showed that we can win ugly. But the disappointing thing is we are now carrying several knocks. Deegan (John) shouldn’t have played last night but powered through and played well.

“We now have Cai, Iddon, Steve and Iw Tom as huge doubts for Saturday on top of the disappointing injury to Huw Quaeck against Dolgellau.

“We will be looking to add to the squad but it’s also an opportunity for those who play Saturday to keep their shirt and give me a welcome headache going into the huge FAW Trophy game against Nefyn the following week.”


CPD Llannerchymedd 1 (James Burgess 18)
Talysarn Celts 3 (Glyn Hughes-Thomas 5 & 90, Jac Jones 76)

Llannerchymedd suffered their first defeat of the season at the hands of a Talysarn side who have produced some impressive performances of late, including superb wins over Pwllheli and Bontnewydd.

Glyn Hughes-Thomas handed the visitors an early lead, but James Burgess levelled to make it all-square at half time.

In a competitive second half, Celts sealed the points with late goals from Jac Jones and Hughes-Thomas.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: