Cymru North match reports from weekend July 23-24: stunning win for Buckley

Great action from Buckley (red and white) versus Bangor. Picture: TREVOR JONES, BUCKLEY TOWN FC


Buckley Town 1 Bangor City 0

What a night it was at The Globe as Buckley Town began the season with a shock win over Bangor.

In three previous meetings between the sides in the Cymru North, the Citizens had won comfortably on each occasion, but on Friday it was Bucks’ turn to celebrate.

Phil Molyneux netted the only goal two minutes from time to send home supporters wild. Veteran striker Molyneux produced a great strike after yet another marauding run down the wing by Aled Bellis.

Home side Buckley threatened first after three minutes with a deflected shot that came back off the crossbar.

Giacomo Mello put City’s Alex Boss through on goal in the 12th minute, but the Anglesey striker fired straight at keeper Joe Makaruk.

Makaruk did well to keep out a Dante Isla header from a Boss cross just before the half hour.

Isla then set up Agustin Zicarelli, whose effort was miraculously cleared off the line.

In a second half of few clear chances, Mello blasted a free kick just over, while Citizens keeper Scott Reed produced a fantastic stop at the other end.

Then came that late Molyneux strike which bagged all three points for Bucks.

Winning manager Dan Moore said: “I think we deserved to win, I don’t remember our goalkeeper having much to do or us conceding many, if any, clear chances.

“We were good out of possession, we worked very hard and delivered on the key points we had worked on in preparation for the game. We also had one cleared off the line, and we hit the bar.

“Our message at half time to the players was to continue to do their work out of possession and tidy things up in the final third. We knew we would have possession high up the pitch and when we needed it most we have produced moments of quality for the goal.

“To add an element of balance after quite an emotional night, that result is just one game and one win, and that’s all it is.”

Gresford Athletic 0 Colwyn Bay 3

Goals from new signings Sam Jones and Robbie Parry, plus a match-clincher by Cai Owen, made it a good opening night for the Bay.

A recent capture from Caernarfon Town, Jones’ first half header set Bay on track.

Captain Tom McCready recovered from a back injury to start and he twice went close with early efforts.

A lapse in concentration by the Bay defence let in Mike Pritchard, but with only keeper Andy Coughlin to beat he dragged his effort wide of the post before Daniel Holland fired over the crossbar.

It was Bay who went ahead on 22 minutes through Jones’ powerful header from Owen’s cross.

Jones turned provider for Bay’s second goal after 68 minutes, his cross finding debutant Parry, recruited from Bangor City and who had only minutes earlier come off the bench, firing into the top corner of the net.

Owen wrapped up an impressive win with a stunning strike 10 minutes before the end from Parry’s pass.

Airbus UK Broughton 1 Holyhead Hotspur 0

Oliver Lanceley’s 27th minute goal was enough to seal the points for the Wingmakers.

Airbus started on the front foot and in the sixth minute the ball was in the back of the net after a flurry of corners, but Gaz Edwards’ header was ruled out for a foul in the build-up.

The deadlock was broken from a quickly-taken corner, Joe Palmer finding a free Lanceley in the box who towered above everyone and headed home.

Lanceley’s shot went just wide soon after before Jay Crowther’s header was deemed not to have crossed the line.

The second half began in a similar fashion to the first, with the Wingmakers dominating the possession in the middle of the park, but Hotspur dangerous on the counter.

In the 74th minute, a through ball by Steve Tomassen released Lanceley who appeared to be brought down in the box, but referee Cheryl Foster waved away penalty claims.

Hotspur manager Darren Garmey said: “We can never be happy going home after a loss but the players deserve a lot of credit for their attitude and work rate today.

“With only one goal the difference we were always in the game and on another day and a bit more luck we could have come away with something but not today.

“We will now recover and look ahead to Colwyn Bay on Tuesday in what should be a great game and welcome back to our fans.”

Conwy Borough 1 Llangefni Town 0

Corrig McGonigle’s added time penalty pinched the points for Conwy at Y Morfa.

The Tangerines were indebted to keeper Rory Crowther in the first half as he produced great stops to deny Leon Buckland and James Saxon.

Cefni could have snatched it late themselves, Steffan Jones’ header hitting the keeper’s back and going out for corner from which Will Hughes went agonisingly close.

Then came that McGonigle spot-kick which broke Town hearts.

Guilsfield 3 Llandudno 0

Clinical Guilsfield got off to a flyer by defeating Llandudno.

Jamie Hyne, new signing from The New Saints, Greg Draper, and Iwan Matthews (pen) made the score sheet.

Holywell Town 2 Llanidloes Town 2

Lee Douglas’ amazing action shot of Holywell (red and white) attacking the Llanidloes goal

The Wellmen were unable to hold onto a two-goal lead and had to settle for a draw at Halkyn Road.

Jake Cooke handed Johnny Haseldin’s team a third-minute advantage when he was played through on goal and coolly slotted past the keeper.

In the 18th minute it was 2-0, Danny Sullivan with a powerful header from a corner.

Had efforts from Danny Andrews and Luke Edwards gone in, the hosts would have been out of sight, but both hit the crossbar.

Just before the break Elliot Jones nodded in from a corner to give the Daffs hope.

In a less exciting second half, Llanidloes levelled on 78 minutes through Connor Bird, and 2-2 is how it finished.

Penrhyncoch 1 Ruthin Town 1

Honours even at Cae Baker.

Ruthin led at half time after Matty Hill took advantage of some slack home defending to make it 1-0 on 23 minutes.

Penrhyncoch were much sharper in the second half and Taylor Watts goal earned them a point.

Prestatyn Town 3 Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant 1

New-look 2019-20 champions Prestatyn kicked off the campaign in winning style.

Visiting keeper Lee Andrew saved a 17th minute penalty, then Ian Kearney had an effort cleared off the line before Prestatyn finally took the lead through Ryan Kehoe after 34.

Home keeper Niki-Lee Bulmer performed marvels to push a Llanrhaeadr free kick onto the bar early in the second half.

The hosts needed a second goal for breathing space and it came when substitute Patrick Hamid lashed home a stunner from the edge of the box following a Mason Blackwell-Jones corner. Hamid had replaced Charlie Mann just two minutes earlier.

Ashley Ruane added a third before Zack Davies provided a late reply for the visitors.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: