Flashback – 5 years ago: Cefn Druids defeat Holywell in NEWFA Challenge Cup final

Tremendous action shot from the 2016 final between Holywell (stripes) and Druids

Cefn Druids 2 (Arsan, Platt OG)
Holywell Town 0
NEWFA Challenge Cup Final – May 24, 2016

Having already secured promotion back to the Welsh Premier, Druids lifted the NEWFA Challenge Cup for the fifth time in their history by defeating Holywell 2-0 at Airbus’ Hollingsworth Group Stadium five years ago this week.

Cefn started well and Town keeper Mike Platt was forced to punch clear a good Naim Arsan cross to safety as early as the third minute.

Town’s first effort on goal came from a free kick. Steve Thomas’ inswinging cross missed everyone and fell inches wide of Louis Mackin’s right post.

Druids looked dangerous and on 12 minutes, Mike Pritchard shot over from a good position.

Holywell’s Graeme Williams then watched as his free kick from the edge of the area flew beyond Mackin’s crossbar.

Next the Ancients broke clear and the ball was switched wide left to Arsan, whose shot took a wicked deflection over Platt to give Druids the lead.

A few minutes later, Town’s Ryan Davidson had a shot fly inches wide, then Brady McGilloway’s free kick went over the bar.

Druids were still threatening on the counter, Matty Holt’s curling effort sailing inches over Platt’s crossbar.

Half-time: Druids 1 Holywell 0

The Wellmen pressed for a leveller after the break.

Paul D Williams had a shot deflected wide and from the resulting corner, Davidson’s attempt came back off the post. .

Johnny Haseldin’s men again hit the woodwork when Connor Littler rattled the crossbar.

A few moments later, Phil Lloyd broke clear down the left and his cross was dropped by Mackin. The ball fell to Paul D Williams but his fierce shot was blocked on the line.

As the game entered the final 10 minutes, Lloyd had the ball in the back of the net, but a linesmen deemed him to be in an offside position and the goal was disallowed.

With time running out, Druids won a free kick in a dangerous position.

Ryan Kershaw’s strike was pushed onto the bar by Platt, but unfortunately the ball rebounded back off the post and hit the keeper’s back before falling into the goal to make it 2-0 for the Ancients.

There was still time for McGilloway to get a shot in on goal which was blocked, and another Kershaw free kick was tipped over by Platt before the referee blew his whistle to end the game.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: