Flashback – 10 years ago: All’s well that ended well for Bangor City

Sion Edwards (red) gave Bangor a flying start – but it all went wrong 10 years ago today at Farrar Road. Picture: Dai Sinclair

Bangor City 2 (Edwards 2, Davies 79)
Llanelli 5 (Moses 37, K Thomas 47, Bowen 61, Griffiths 66 & 71)
Welsh Premier League – April 16, 2011

Bangor fans can now read this report with a smile on their face as they will know that after losing to Llanelli, they won their next three games to secure the league title.

It was a different story at about 4.30 pm on this date 10 years ago, though.

The widespread feeling around Farrar Road at the final whistle was that City had blown it.

Neville Powell’s side had won their first 15 league games and by the end of phase one in this inaugural “Super 12” season were top of the table with a record of 18 victories, two draws and just two losses – total 56 points.

Phase two saw City go right off the boil – one win, two draws and four losses, the last of which came at home to Llanelli.

Bangor started brightly, scored early on, but fell apart in the second half against a purposeful visiting team.

After just 70 seconds, Nicky Ward’s deep free kick found recalled left winger Sion Edwards, who clipped the ball past Ashley Morris from close range.

On 13 minutes a half cleared corner was crossed by Chris Roberts but Les Davies’ headed wide at the near post.

Llanelli settled and became a real threat, Craig Moses forcing a good low save from Paul Smith with Chris Venables flashing the rebound wide.

At the other end, Dave Morley picked out Alan Bull, who rushed into the box from the left but Morris saved well for a corner.

In the 37th minute Llanelli drew level. Moses raced round Michael Johnston on the left to fire home past Smith from 12 yards.

Visiting midfielder Antonio Corbisiero watched in disbelief as his powerful strike hit the woodwork and Moses was denied by a fine low stop from Smith.

Half-time: 1-1

Whatever plans were laid by the hosts at half time disintegrated within minutes of the restart.

With two minutes played Morley lost possession due to a blatant handball by Corbisiero.

Referee Lee Evans waved play on, Jason Bowen squared for Kris Thomas to run through and beat Smith with a clean low strike. Seconds later Craig Williams missed a far better chance.

Next up Rhys Griffiths smashed goalwards but Smith again pulled off a great stop.

City appeared to be getting back into contention as Morley shot wide, but on 61 minutes it was 3-1 as Bowen collected a reverse pass from Moses to run through the midfield and finish confidently.

Bangor responded by sending substitute Michael Jukes on for Ward, but it had little immediate benefit as on 66 minutes Griffiths jumped into James Brewerton before firing a low shot into the near post which cannoned off Johnston and in off keeper Smith.

If it could get worse it did on 71 minutes as Griffiths was on hand to slot home a low cross with no hope for Smith.

The Farrar End supporters found their voice and tried to sing the blues into action.

And on 79 minutes they had something to cheer as Eddie Jebb delivered and Les Davies headed home Bangor’s sixth corner to make it 5-2.

City managed a brief period of pressure but it was never going to seriously threaten the visitors’ success.

At the final whistle the ground emptied in virtual silence.

It looked like a grim tale was in prospect, but there was to be a fairy tale end to the season.

Bangor: Paul Smith, Darren Moss, Chris Roberts, Dave Morley, James Brewerton, Michael Johnston, Chris Jones, Alan Bull (Eddie Jebb 72), Les Davies, Nicky Ward (Michael Jukes 64), Sion Edwards (Mark Smyth 72).

Llanelli: Ashley Morris, Kris Thomas (Andy Legg 90), Antonio Corbisiero, Chris Venables, Stuart Jones, Wyn Thomas, Jason Bowen (Jordan Follows 72), Ashley Evans, Rhys Griffiths, Craig Moses, Craig Williams.

Attendance: 623

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: