Caernarfon Town on verge of top six finish after seeing off the students

Mike Hayes was man of the match for Caernarfon, scoring a goal and providing an assist. Picture: Paul Evans, chairman Caernarfon Town FC

Caernarfon Town 3 (Jack Kenny 12, Mike Hayes 55 pen, Jake Bickerstaff 81)
Cardiff Met University 2 (Harry Owen 61, Eliot Evans 90+4 pen)

Despite stretching their unbeaten record to eight matches Caernarfon still have work to do to clinch a third successive top six finish in the Cymru Premier.

Town know a point at The New Saints next weekend will clinch a Championship Conference berth, but they could still end up in the upper half even if they lose at Park Hall, depending what happens in the Penybont v Haverfordwest County tussle.

If fifth-place Penybont win or draw, Caernarfon will definitely seal top six status, but a victory for seventh-placed Haverfordwest could mean it goes to goal difference – and that will likely to be to the Canaries detriment. Huw Griffiths’ side’s GD is currently inferior to Penybont and Haver.

Caernarfon’s fantastic run continued today with a hard-fought 3-2 success over Cardiff Met, who in complete contrast to Town were without a win in seven starts.

The hosts started well, Telor Williams heading over at the back post before the same player picked out Jack Kenny with a lovely pass, but Met defender Bradley Woolridge’s intervention was enough to thwart the home striker.

The lead was gained by the Cofis in the 12th minute. Noah Edwards’ pass released Kenny who encountered keeper Alex Lang advancing way out of his goal.

Kenny smartly slipped past Lang before slotting into an empty net.

Town were comfortable for the first half-hour, but the rest of the half saw Met get on top.

Kyle McCarthy’s fine ball released Lewis Rees, who raced into the box but Josh Tibbetts blocked well at his feet.

Dylan Rees then saw a shot kept out by Tibbetts at his near post, and from the rebound the same man drilled across the face of goal.

A Dylan Rees free kick did not miss by much, then Eliot Evans had an effort blocked by Gareth Edwards before in injury time Emlyn Lewis miss-kicked from a great position.

Half-time: Caernarfon 1 Met 0

The students could consider themselves unlucky to be behind at the break and Caernarfon certainly needed the security of a second goal after the restart.

Sion Bradley blasted over the bar from close range before that second home goal did arrive on 54 minutes.

Woolridge was adjudged to have wrestled Michael Parker to the ground from a Williams corner, referee Nick Pratt pointed to the spot and Michael Hayes lashed home to make it 2-0.

Kenny’s lob missed the target before a Hayes volley went close.

The home side looked well on course for the win until Met hit back in the 61st minute. Great work on the right by Lewis Rees saw him find substitute Harry Owen in space. A lovely Owen finish made it 2-1 – game on!

Things looked grim for the Canaries when skipper Gareth Edwards was sent off for a second yellow on 66 minutes when he fouled Owen on the edge of the box.

The free kick came to nothing and Town steadied themselves before grabbing a killer third goal in the 81st minute.

Bradley cleared from the back to Hayes, who went on a powerful run down the left before crossing into the six-yard box, where substitute Jacob Bickerstaff found the empty net.

A late penalty from Eliot Evans was nothing more than a consolation for the visitors.

Caernarfon Town: Joshua Tibbetts, Gareth Edwards, Sion Bradley, Paulo Mendes, Michael Hayes, Noah Edwards, Ryan Williams, Telor Williams, Michael Parker, Jack Kenny (Jacob Bickerstaff 70), Max Cleworth
Subs not used: 13 Tyler French (gk), 10 Darren Thomas, 12 Sam Jones, 20 Cai Jones, 27 Cian Evans

Cardiff Met University: Alex Lang, Dylan Rees (Joseph Evans 67), Kyle McCarthy, Bradley Woolridge, Emlyn Lewis, Eliot Evans, Chris Baker, Josh Thomas (Harry Owen 57), Charles Corsby, Matthew Blake, Lewis Rees (Liam Warman 85)

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: