Flashback – 15 years ago: Bangor lose fifth home league game in row

Bangor City 1 (Linnecar 80)
Airbus UK 2 (Jones 6, O’Neill OG 15)
League of Wales – March 14, 2006

Craig Jones in action for Bury. Back in 2006 he scored Airbus’ opener at Bangor City. Picture: Jamie McDonald/Getty Images

On this date 15 years ago Bangor crashed to a fifth successive home league defeat in 2006 as Airbus not only took the spoils at Farrar Road but also completed the double over the Citizens.

While City had knocked the visiting Wingmakers out of the Welsh Cup four months earlier, the Flintshire outfit were more than compensated by taking six points out of six against Clayton Blackmore’s hopefuls.

Player-manager Blackmore opted to watch from the sidelines with young Kyle Jones filling in at right back. Martin Beattie returned alongside Paul O’Neill but his bad luck continued with a knee ligament injury which saw him replaced on 57 minutes – as Jones had been 10 minutes earlier.

Things could not have got off to a worse start for the reshuffled defence as they saw the visitors take a sixth minute lead. Danger man Craig Jones opened the scoring when he turned in a cross from one-time Bangor target Dave Hughes.

It became more dire for the hosts on the quarter-hour mark when former Bangor striker Chris Moores crossed from the right and O’Neill could only guide the ball past Andrew Price into his own net.

Teenage winger Craig Jones, whose father Brynley played for City, gave left-back Tommy Harrison a torrid evening and unsettled the Bangor defence with his pace and dangerous crosses.

Bangor gradually improved but scarcely threatened the Airbus goal.

Half-time: 0-0

Young Kyle Jones did not re-appear for the second period following an injury and his place at right back was taken by Blackmore.

Close to the hour, Beattie suffered a knee injury which saw him replaced by Ben Ogilvy who slotted in alongside O’Neill.

With 20 minutes to go City sent on Mike Burke for the tiring Adam Docker with James Hussaney replacing visiting striker Moores minutes later.

City’s best moments came from Mike Linnecar, again operating on the left wing, whose long range efforts gave the home fans some cause for optimism.

Ten minutes from time Bangor finally closed the gap.

Paul Roberts sent a fierce drive on target which goalkeeper Adam McGee could only parry to Linnecar who scored from close range.

But it was too little too late and the visitors left with the spoils – to the delight of their small band of fans.

Bangor: Andrew Price, Kyle Jones (Clayton Blackmore 46), Tommy Harrison, Kieran Killackey, Martin Beattie (Ben Ogilvy 57), Paul O’Neill, Kenny Burgess, Chris Priest, Paul Roberts, Adam Docker (Mike Burke 70), Mike Linnecar.

Airbus: Adam McGee, Leigh Williams, Steve Hopkins, Richard Dorman, John Davies, Paul Connolly, Craig Jones, Gareth Owen, Chris Moores (James Hussaney 75), Stewart White, Dave Hughes.

Attendance: 195

Many thanks to Mike Smith of the Citizens Choice for a great report

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: