Cymru Premier League weekend round-up: March 6 – Nomads close gap on Saints

Max Cleworth and Jacob Bickerstaff with Caernarfon manager Huw Griffiths. Both subs had impressive debuts for the Canaries. Picture: Paul Evans, CTFC

Caernarfon Town 2 (Jake Bickerstaff 85, Sion Bradley 87)
Aberystwyth Town 2 (Jon Owen 39, Jamie Veale 90 + 5)

A 94th minute equaliser from Jamie Veale salvaged a point for Aberystwyth after two late goals from Caernarfon had turned a deficit into a potential winning situation.
In a less than inspiring first half, Aber looked likeliest to score with Harry Franklin firing wide before new signing Jamie Reed was denied by a superb Josh Tibbetts save.
The Cofis’ number one was beaten in the 39th minute when Veale crossed into the box and John Owen volleyed powerfully home from 10 yards.
Caernarfon’s vice-captain, Joe Williams, was forced out of the action in the final minute of the first half after being on the receiving end of a poor lunge from Marc Williams.
This resulted in the introduction of Max Cleworth, making his debut on loan from Wrexham.
The second half saw Caernarfon on the front foot throughout.
Paulo Mendes was disappointed in the 57th minute when Cleworth cleverly found him in the six-yard area but the midfielder could not manage to guide his headed attempt past Connor Roberts.
Mike Parker had a goal ruled out for offside before Roberts came to Aber’s rescue in the 75th minute when he got down sharply to a low Darren Thomas effort.
In an effort to save at least a point, Huw Griffiths introduced Cai Jones, Sam Jones and another Wrexham loanee, Jake Bickerstaff, to add fresh legs up front and his decision instantly paid off.
With just five minutes remaining Cleworth found Bickerstaff, who showed strength to shrug off his marker and power the ball past Roberts.
Sion Bradley put Caernarfon ahead two minutes later when he picked the ball up on the right side of the penalty area and cut inside his marker before finishing past Roberts from an acute angle.
Abersytwyth looked downhearted but were given a lifeline in the 94th minute when the referee awarded them a free kick on the edge of the area.
Veale placed his effort over Caernarfon’s defensive wall and beyond the diving Tibbetts to secure a last-ditch point.

Caernarfon Town: Joshua Tibbetts, Joe Williams, Gareth Edwards, Sion Bradley, Paulo Mendes, Michael Hayes (Cai Jones 76), Darren Thomas (Sam Jones 76), Ryan Williams (Max Cleworth 45+2), Telor Williams, Michael Parker, Jack Kenny (Jacob Bickerstaff 68)

Aberystwyth Town: Connor Roberts, Louis Bradford, Lee Thomas Jenkins, Harry Franklin, Mathew Jones, Jamie Veale, John Owen, Marc Williams, Jack Thorn, Jamie Reed, Jack Rimmer

Cefn Druids 0
Barry Town United 1 (David Cotterill 43 pen)

David Cotterrill’s penalty just before the break was enough to secure Barry the points at The Rock.
Both sides were full of energy and excitement with the league campaign finally restarting after 11 long weeks without football.
The first half was very even with mainly half-chances until in the 43rd minute Druids defender Aaron Simpson bundled over Nat Jarvis in the box.
Midfielder Cotterill comfortably converted the penalty.
Chances were at a premium again after the break before on 75 minutes, Druids winger Joe Faux blasted inches over the bar.
As Cefn began to commit more bodies forward in search of an equaliser, leaving themselves somewhat exposed at the back, Barry threatened with late counters, but Phil Mooney, Simpson and keeper Dawid Szczepaniak produced some important blocks.
In the dying seconds, Druids substitute Jacob Wise’s flicked header missed by a fraction.

Cefn Druids: Dawid Szczepaniak, Naim Arsan (Jacob Wise 90+1), Josh Green, Phillip Mooney, Aaron Simpson, Ethan Cartwright, Harry Brazel, Niall Flint (Christoph Aziamale 85),Josef Faux, Ryan Kershaw (Stefan Edwards 85), Charley Edge.

Barry Town United: Michael Lewis, Luke Cooper, Nat Jarvis, Jordan Cotterill (Jamie Bird 90), David Cotterill, Theo Wharton (Robbie Patten 85), Curtis McDonald, Rhys Abbruzzese, Rhys Kavanagh (Curtis Hutson 72), Clayton Green, Evan Press.

Connah’s Quay Nomads 2 (George Horan 28, Mike Wilde 58)
Newtown AFC 1 (Alex Fletcher 18)

Ten-man Nomads came back from a goal down to run out 2-1 winners at Deeside Stadium.
Despite playing a man short for over 70 minutes, the reigning league champions persevered to extend their winning run to eight consecutive games.
In the 18th minute, the visitors went ahead when Alex Fletcher struck from the edge of the area.
Quay quickly tried to respond but things got worse for them in the 24th minute, when Jamie Insall was shown a straight red card for a challenge on George Hughes.
However, in the 28th minute, George Horan hit back to equalise.
Sameron Dool hit a free kick and Michael Wilde stopped Newtown keeper David Jones collecting the ball which fell to Horan and he made no mistake at close range.
At half time, home manager Andy Morrison made his only change, handing a debut to former Football League Championship regular Neil Danns, who replaced Dool.
Danns would soon get involved, helping Nomads press the Newtown final third with surging runs from the midfield.
In the 59th minute a throw from Danny Holmes found Wilde, who headed home from inside the six-yard box.
Nomads now had a significant challenge ahead of them as they defended with 10 men against a Newtown side who remained well in the game.
The task only grew bigger in the 65th minute, when the Robins introduced four substitutions at once in line with the new five-sub rule introduced for the remainder of the JD Cymru Premier season.
But Nomads defended superbly, with Horan as ever inspirational.

Connah’s Quay Nomads: Oliver Byrne, George Horan, Daniel Harrison, Callum Morris, Michael Wilde, Jamie Insall, Declan Poole, Daniel Holmes,John Disney, Sameron Singh-Dool (Neil Danns 46), Daniel Davies.

Newtown AFC: Dave Jones, Jack Kelly, Kieran Mills-Evans, James O’Neill (Sean McAllister 65), Nick Rushton (Jordan Evans 65), Jamie Breese (Tyrone Ofori 65), James Davies (Lifumpa Mwandwe 76), Craig Williams, George Hughes (Jon Letford 76), Shane Sutton, Alex Fletcher.

Flint Town United 0
Penybont 1 (Nathan Wood 14)

In a game of limited chances, Penybont’s solitary goal was enough to secure the points as Flint’s new-look team struggled to gel.
The visitors, having benefited from their midweek competitive game, looked the more accomplished side during the first 25 minutes or so, as Flint were unable to find any sort of rhythm.
During this period the South Walians struck the all important goal. Nathan Wood swept home on 12 minutes when he met Mael Davies’ cut back on the half volley.
In their first incisive attack, Flint thought they had a strong shout for a penalty, when Mark Cadwallader ran into the box and appeared to be clipped from behind as he bore down on keeper Ashley Morris, but the referee remained unmoved by the home side’s pleas.
Penybont’s Kostya Georgievsky had a one on one with Rushton, who distinguished himself with a good blocking save to avert the danger.
Rob Hughes looked Flint’s most likely outlet as an attacking force, his free kick from 22 yards only finding the roof of the net.
In the second half, Bont successfully closed the game down, and chances for both sides were few and far between.

Flint Town United: Jonathan Rushton, Edmond Clarke, Kai Edwards, Robert Hughes, Mark Cadwallader (Joshua Amis 63), Callum Bratley, Evan Gumbs, Mitchell Duggan, Jordan Buckley, Ben Maher, Thomas Kemp (Richard Foulkes 71)

Penybont: Ashley Morris, Kane Owen, Ashley Evans (Liam Walsh 51), Daniel Jefferies, Mael Davies, Kostya Georgievsky, Nathan Wood, Oliver Dalton, Samuel Snaith (Benjamin Ahmun 67), Billy Borge, Connor Davies.

Haverfordwest County 1 (Daniel Williams 43)
Cardiff Met University 0

Haverfordwest County: Wojciech Gajda, Daniel Summerfield, Alaric Jones, Scott Tancock, Ricky Watts, Corey Shephard, Ben Fawcett (Marcus Griffiths 74), Cameron Keetch (Sean Pemberton 87), Kurtis Rees, Elliot Scotcher (Trystan Jones 82), Daniel Williams.

Cardiff Met University: William Fuller, Kyle McCarthy (Charles Corsby 46), Bradley Woolridge, Emlyn Lewis, Guto Williams (Chris Baker 46), Eliot Evans (Matthew Chubb 77), Harry Owen (Liam Warman 66), Rhydian Morgan, Thomas Price (Oliver Hulbert 62), Matthew Blake, Lewis Rees.

The New Saints 0
Bala Town 0

Leaders TNS were held at home by fellow high-flyers Bala, who looked unlucky not to earn a late penalty when defender Ryan Astles appeared to commit a handball offence.
The result leaves Saints a point ahead of second-place Connah’s Quay Nomads, who have a game in hand.
Alex Ramsay in the Town goal has to produce good stops to deny Leo Smith and Danny Redmond in the opening quarter.
Simon Spender thought he had given TNS the lead with 24 minutes played when he fired home a close-range rebound, but was adjudged offside.
Bala’s Raul Correia stung the palms of Paul Harrison five minutes before the break.
Ramsay impressed again throughout the second period, pulling off a good, low-down save to deny Spender at the back post.
For all the TNS chances, it was the Lakesiders who came closest to breaking the deadlock with 13 minutes remaining. A free-kick from the right found an unmarked Chris Venables inside the penalty area, and the 15-goal top scorer’s header almost sneaked in at the far post.
Ramsay made one final stop in stoppage time, turning a point-blank header from Adrian Cieslewicz over the crossbar.

The New Saints: Paul Harrison, Simon Spender, Chris Marriott, Jon Routledge, Daniel Redmond (Dean Ebbe 89), Adrian Cieslewicz, Blaine Hudson, Ryan Astles, Louis Robles (Jamie Mullan 66), Adam Roscrow (Greg Draper 66), Leo Smith (Ben Clark 78).

Bala Town: Alex Ramsay, Sean Paul Smith, Nathan Peate, Jonathan Spittle, William Evans, Raul Correia, Antony Kay, Kieran Smith, Ryan Pryce, Chris Venables, Oliver Shannon.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: