Flashback – 10 years ago: Last gasp equaliser by Flint hits Porthmadog hard

Flint Town United 3 (Jack Abraham 39, Danny Sullivan 67, Lewis Dennan 90 + 7)
CPD Porthmadog 3 (Darren Gowans 6, Carl Owen 16, Paul Roberts 80)
Huws Gray Alliance – March 5, 2011

On this date 10 years ago Porthmadog saw victory snatched away from them deep into injury time with what was virtually the last kick of the game.

Few travelling supporters could believe what was happening in a match Port had dominated in the opening half, going two up in 16 minutes and creating enough chances to be well out of sight before the halfway mark was reached.

A goal before the interval, however, gave the home side a lifeline and, despite being down to 10 men after 51 minutes, their vastly improved second half display earned them a share of the points.

Even though Flint drew level midway through the second period Port should still have won by virtue of an 80th minute goal, but failure to close the game down in the closing stages cost them dearly.  

From the start at Cae-y-Castell, Port’s Dan Pyrs and Gareth Jones Evans were running the midfield and both in their turn were influential creating openings for two early goals.

Pyrs, after only six minutes, broke from centre field and lifted the ball over the defence for Darren Gowans to race on to, control well and fire low past the advancing Andy Metcalfe to open the scoring.

Rhys Roberts twice rose at the back post to meet set piece crosses but was unlucky to see his headers drift narrowly wide.

However, Port soon deservedly increased their lead. Jones Evans won the ball in midfield before crossing superbly to the back post where Carl Owen rose between two defenders to score with an emphatic header.  

Twice Metcalfe needed to be at his best to touch goal bound efforts from Owen over the bar before denying Marcus Orlik.
With half time nearing Flint gave themselves a chance.

Jason Renshaw struck his free kick from wide on the right to the near post where Richard Harvey had to push it away as it was deflected goalwards.

It only went as far as Jack Abraham who drove a low angled shot from 8 yards back past the keeper to reduce the deficit, making it 2-1 to Port at the break.

Half-time: Flint 1-2 Porthmadog

The second half started frantically with a few bruising tackles made.

Two fierce tackles in quick succession by Flint defender Mike Banks saw him shown yellow then red, but being reduced to 10 men did not appear to adversely affect the home side.

The challenges continued to fly in and referee Aled Jones soon handed out three more yellow cards – two to Port and another for Flint.

Though neither side was able to create many scoring opportunities Flint did put the Port defence under considerable pressure from free kicks.

One of these, from Stefan Halewood, reached leading scorer Shaun Beck whose shot was well saved by Harvey.

With 67 minutes gone the Port defence was undone by another free kick. Abraham drove with power into the box and Danny Sullivan managed to get enough on it to divert the ball just inside Harvey’s right hand post.

After surviving another dangerous Abraham free kick, Port struck back.

Orlik cut across from the right and lifted an angled ball for McDaid to chase down. He controlled well just inside the byline before picking out Paul Roberts with a low cross into the 6 yard box and the experienced striker made no mistake from close range.

Unfortunately Port failed to close the game down and maintain possession.

With a lengthy period of added time, after Flint defender John Davies dislocated a shoulder, the hosts scored the equaliser following a counter attack which saw sub Lewis Dennan nip in to score from 12 yards.

Flint: Andy Metcalfe, Mike Banks, Graham Dyment (Luke Tyson 83), Jason Renshaw, John Davies (Lewis Dennan 90), Stefan Halewood, Jack Abraham, Jon Kenworthy (Ben Jones 46), Shaun Beck, Danny Sullivan, Stuart Hughes.

Port:  Richard Harvey, Euron Roberts, Mike Foster, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Gareth Jones Evans, Dan Pyrs, Marcus Orlik (Cai Jones 90), Paul Roberts (Craig Roberts 81), Carl Owen, Darren Gowans (Jamie McDaid 67).

Many thanks to Gareth Williams for match report

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: