Flashback – 10 years ago: Late goal from Garside clinches Bangor vital win

Craig Garside had a knack of grabbing vital goals for Bangor City

Newtown 0
Bangor City 1 (Garside 89)
Welsh Premier League – Jan 15, 2011

Bangor bagged a first away win of 2011 but left it late at Latham Park where Craig Garside was the last gasp hero.

With Peter Hoy suspended, Clive Williams continued at right back, while captain James Brewerton slotted in alongside the outstanding Michael Johnston.

In fairness the whole defence played well as Newtown aimed to strike on the break and had the pace of Jamie Breese to unsettle the blues rearguard.

But with leading goalscorer Craig Whitfield on the bench and Marc Lloyd Williams at Stamford Bridge with S4C, they seemed unlikely to score and rarely threatened City keeper Paul Smith.

The best move of the first half began with Brewerton’s cleanly struck diagonal ball from the left, gathered on the right by Nicky Ward who fed Clive Williams, but his shot flashed wide.

Alan Bull found Les Davies on the left edge of the box and his right-footer forced a high save from Dave Roberts to yield City’s second corner.

From this Bull turned and fired low from the left but again Roberts did well to deny him one-handed.

Newtown won a couple of corners as the first half was played out and one saw Shane Sutton head wide but generally they did little to threaten the calm figure of Johnston ably supported by Brewerton.

Half-time: 0-0

With no changes at the interval it was as before, Bangor attacking and Newtown looking to break at speed.

The first chance of the second period saw Dave Morley shoot wide from outside the box after a period of away pressure.

A third Bangor corner ran out to Chris Roberts on the right, and his inswinging left footed cross dropped for Brewerton, who shot wide at the near post.

Chris Jones pulled out to the right and immediately ran at the outstanding Adam Worton whose block earned a yellow card. A red was possible given that Jones would have been clear on goal but referee Brian James decided otherwise.

On 61 minutes a double substitution for Bangor as Sion Edwards and Michael Jukes came on for Jones and Bull. This certainly gave City fresh impetus on the slithery Latham Park surface.

In the 68th minnute Eddie Jebb replaced Morley and Newtown introduced top scorer Whitfield for Jamie Price.

The Robins went close to taking the lead as Smith had to be alert to deny Dylan Blain’s clean header.

Bangor responded as Garside fired over after good approach play from Williams and debutant Jukes.

With 10 minutes left the pacey Breese raced down the left and fired a low shot into the side-netting to the relief of blues fans.

On 82 minutes a second yellow and then red card was shown to Newtown’s Michael Jackson.

Johnston ventured upfield but sent his long range effort well wide before City won a sixth corner on the right.

Edwards crossed and Brewerton cursed his luck as Paul Keddle cleared, but only to Garside who netted from close range. Practically the whole Bangor contingent of more than 100 had gathered behind Roberts’ goal and celebrated as one. The goal was timed at 89 minutes.

The win made it 55 points out of a possible 63 for City, who stayed bang on course for the title with 18 victories in 21 starts, plus a draw and two losses.

Newtown: Dave Roberts, Dave Swanick, Paul Keddle, Shane Sutton, Michael Jackson, Matthew Cook, Jamie Price (Craig Whitfield 68), Dylan Blain (Lee Hartshorne 79), Gareth Partridge, Jamie Breese (Robbie Millington 89), Adam Worton.

Bangor City: Paul Smith, Clive Williams, Chris Roberts, Dave Morley (Eddie Jebb 68), James Brewerton, Craig Garside, Chris Jones (Sion Edwards 61), Michael Johnston, Les Davies, Nicky Ward, Alan Bull (Michael Jukes 61).
Attendance: 262.

Huge thanks to Mike Smith of the Citizens Choice website for another great report

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: