Flashback – 15 years ago: Druids and Bangor share spoils on frosty night

Ian Andrews had a cracking game for Druids

Cefn Druids 2 (Ian Andrews 10, Mark Hobson 18)
Bangor City 2 (Carl Lamb 6, Paul Roberts 23)
Welsh Premier – November 19, 2005

All four goals in this Friday night encounter at Plaskynaston came within the first 23 minutes.

With the playing surface like a glistening white iced bun the big decision for referee Mark Petch came at 6.45 pm.

He ruled that the game should go ahead – which most wanted – but perhaps the majority of Bangor fans regretted by the final whistle two and a half hours later.

With the pitch feeling a touch softer than it looked, Bangor roared into an early lead and looked set to run away with the match.

A ball on the right to Alex Hay was played back to Carl Lamb who looked up and side-footed into the roof of the net from 12 yards out.

On 10 minutes former Penycae striker Ian Andrews levelled the scores with a clean header from in front of goal to the delight of the Ancients supporters. Andrews posed a threat all evening and delighted the home fans keen to see local players represent the village.

In the 18th minute things got worse for Bangor. A third Cefn corner found Mark Hobson 10 yards out, largely because of an obvious push on keeper Andrew Price. The centre-back bundled the ball home along the ground to put Druids ahead.

Nevertheless City fought back and Clayton Blackmore saw the lanky Peter Pahulyi punch his effort clear before the equaliser arrived on 23 minutes.

A goal-bound effort by Paul Roberts was blocked by the keeper but the former Wrexham striker steadied himself to crash the rebound home from a tight angle on the left.

Ironically with both sets of fans hoping for a goal fest that was the end of the scoring!

However, it was not the end of the chances, saves and near misses, with both sides enjoying an equal share.

Lamb’s header was cleared off his line by Osian Jones, and then the towering Pahulyi clutched the follow up attempt.

Into injury time Blackmore ran down the right to cross low for Roberts, but he swept the first time effort over the bar.

Half-time: 2-2

Bangor should have regained the lead soon after the restart but Roberts again blasted over on the half-volley after a promising run on the right from Lamb.

The visitors forced a couple more corners but Roberts again missed the target after good approach play from the wily Blackmore.

Lee Martin nodded over, then Cefn retaliated with a Matthew Cook shot blocked and then a long range looping header from Hobson landed on top of the net.

By now the pitch was firming up and the ball bouncing around madly.

On 66 minutes Kyle Jones made way for Mike Burke and his first touch again caught the eye, a 30 yard special which brought an athletic stop from Pahulyi.

Layton Maxwell would have preferred a better surface but his clever pass to Alex Hay gave the former Rushden striker a long range strike which Pahulyi held.

A breathtaking turn and run from ex-Citizen Alun Evans, inside the Bangor box, caused chaos but his shot sped narrowly wide.

In the closing stages Andrews went close for Dixie McNeil’s side and Roberts for Peter Davenport’s men, but it was Bangor who were perhaps the more relieved and probably disappointed with the final whistle on what was by now a frosty Plaskynaston pitch.

Druids: Peter Pahulyi, Rhys Robbins, Osian Jones, Mark Hobson, Aled Rowlands, Paul Mazzarella, Matthew Cook, Andrew Edgar, Ian Andrews. Liam Sweeney (Alun Evans), Paul McDonnell (Ian Williams)

Bangor City: Andrew Price, Clayton Blackmore, Lee Martin, Kyle Jones, Paul O’Neill, Martin Beattie, Layton Maxwell, Chris Priest, Paul Roberts, Alex Hay, Carl Lamb (Mike Burke).

Many thanks to Mike Smith of the Citizens Choice website for his poetic words

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: