Flashback – five years ago: Smyth double helps Flint collect the points

Flint (stripes) and Porthmadog battle for possession. Picture: Flint Town United FC website

Flint Town United 3 (Kyle Smyth 19 & 44, Paul McManus 37)
Porthmadog 2 (Eilir Edwards 61 & 68)
Cymru Alliance – November 14, 2015

On Friday we featured a match between these two sides from 10 years ago which Porthmadog won, so today it’s the turn of Flint to celebrate a victory from back in 2015.

Five years ago this weekend at Cae-y-Castell saw a game very much of two halves with the Silkmen in charge of the first and Port coming back strongly in the second.

On a slippery surface mistakes looked likely to play a part in the game as both sides had early chances to score.

Three minutes in, Flint’s Mark McGregor grazed the crossbar from close range.

Port responded when three players burst in onto Julian Williams’ excellent free kick but somehow failed to apply a finishing touch.

Flint came close again when a Paul McManus snapshot was only inches over the bar.

The hosts got on top and it was hardly surprising when Kyle Smyth turned well in the box to rifle into the net on 19 minutes.

Smyth was now looking an increasing threat for Flint and Richard Harvey needed to pull off an excellent save after the striker burst into the danger area.

Harvey was soon in action again going down at the feet of Russ Courtney.

Despite this Port were still looking dangerous going forward and when Josh Banks crossed to the far post Asa Hamilton’s clean header flew wide of the angle. 

But the strong, experienced Flint side were putting the Port defence under pressure and when McManus received from John Davies he was not closed down and made it 2-0 with a low shot from 16 yards.

Two goals down, Port now needed to stabilise and keep themselves in the game but almost on the stroke of half-time a long ball from the back put Smyth up against a suddenly under-manned defence.

Smyth broke quickly holding off Steve Bratt and netting coolly from the edge of the box.

Half time: Flint 3 Porthmadog 0

Visiting manager Craig Papirnyk introduced Stuart Rogers and Eilir Edwards after the break and the latter went on to give one of his best performances in a Port shirt.

Edwards was a constant threat with his dangerous runs, crosses and in particular accurate shooting. Home supporters were panicky every time he received the ball.

From the start of the second half Port were a transformed team as they controlled the middle of the park with Iwan Lewis getting through a huge amount of work as the Traeth men drove forward.

On 59 minutes keeper Ross Dalton kept out Edwards’ goal bound shot with a fine touch over the bar. Moments later Dalton had to turn Edwards’ low skidding shot round the post.

Nippy winger Edwards was getting ever closer and two minutes later he found the net with a blistering 25 yard effort after a Rogers corner was cleared straight to him.

Now with a foothold in the game, Port piled on more pressure and from a narrow angle Edwards fired across the keeper to find the net just inside the far post to make it 3-2.

Not long after Cai Jones produced what looked to be the Port equaliser, but was ruled offside.

Iwan Lewis and Iddon Price threatened late on, but the leveller would not come.

FLINT: Ross Dalton, John Davies, Paul Doran, Mark McGregor, Ross Courtney (Aden Shannon 67), Craig Jones, John Hill, Stewart Carroll, Simon Thelwell, Paul McManus, Kyle Smith (Abe Dobson 62). Unused subs: Phil Dejun, Alex Groundly.

PORTHMADOG: Richard Harvey, Luke Jones (Stuart Rogers 46), Josh Banks, Ceri James (Eilir Edwards 46), Steve Bratt, Iddon Price, Iwan Lewis, Gruff J Williams, Asa Hamilton, Josh Davies (Cai Jones 65), Julian Williams. Unused sub: Craig Papirnyk. 

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: