Flashback: Flint Town United fought back to win well 5 years ago today

Flint (stripes) take on Caersws in 2015. Picture: Flint Town United FC

Flint Town United 3 (Carroll 60, Thelwell 72, McManus 91)
Caersws 1 (D Griffiths 32)
Cymru Alliance League – Oct 17, 2015

Flint recovered from a goal down at half time to record a deserved victory over Caersws at Cae-y-Castell five years ago this weekend.

Despite dominating possession in the first period, the Silkmen found themselves trailing at the interval as they were unable to convert a string of chances.

All too often their approach play was rather ponderous, allowing the visitors time to regroup and reform their rearguard.

Although they came into this game on the back of a series of defeats, Caersws showed a grit and resilience in defence that Flint were unable to overcome.

On the 12-minute mark, Phil Doran played in Simon Thelwell on the left of the six-yard box. However, Thelwell passed up the opportunity to shoot, instead squaring across the face of goal, but was unable to find a team-mate.

Five minutes later, Doran fired a fiercely hit free kick that went straight into the midriff of keeper David Jones.

Good strength from Lee Healey won possession, and his quick ball released Thelwell, who was forced slightly wide before shooting, but Jones saved.

Healey looked particularly dangerous with his pace, but the role he was being asked to play, wide on the left, meant he didn’t see as much of the ball as he should have.

Then on 32 minutes, Flint were hit by a sucker punch, courtesy of some poor defending.

Joleon Harris went on a run from the halfway line straight down the middle, waltzed around a couple of non-challenges from centre back pairing Mark McGregor and Russ Courtney, before he was eventually blocked just inside the 18 yard box.

The ball was hacked clear but fell to the feet of Dane Griffiths, who from some 25 yards curled a sublime shot into the Flint net.

Half-time: Flint 0 Caersws 1

Caersws had the first chance of the second half when Dale Evans was allowed the luxury of a free header, but fortunately for the hosts, he put it just wide.

Flint then reasserted control in terms of possession, and on 54 minutes they struck the woodwork. Following a corner which had been half-cleared, the ball eventually found Paul McManus, whose 16 yarder came back off the bar.

Healey, now in a more central attacking role, missed by inches soon after.

Flint managed to get the equaliser their approach play deserved on the hour.

Kyle Smyth broke into the six-yard box and got away a shot that Jones pushed onto the post, but the rebound fell invitingly to Stewart Carroll who slotted home.

Twelve minutes later, the Silkmen went ahead. Smyth powered into the box and picked out Thelwell, who swept the ball home convincingly.

In stoppage time the hosts made absolutely sure of the win as McManus broke through and beat the offside trap, rounded keeper Jones and tapped the ball over the line.

Flint Town United: R Dalton, J Davies, P Doran, M McGregor, R Courtney, C Jones (c), L Healey (J Hill 85), S Carroll, S Thelwell, P McManus, K Smyth (B Brierley 88).

Caersws: D Jones, J Parr, I Edwards, J Bermingham, D Evans, Graham Jones, G Evans (J Hartrick 75), S Williams, D Griffiths, E Jones, J Harris.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: