Flashback: Glantraeth rally from 5-3 down to win epic tie deep into extra time (2010)

Craig Evans (furthest right in Llangefni Town colours) scored twice for Glantraeth in a thrilling 2010-11 NWCFA Intermediate Cup 6-5 victory at Llandudno

Llandudno 5 (Evans 21 & 40, Seager 55, Davies 96, Williams 100)
Glantraeth 6 (G Jones 2, 10 & 120, S Jones 114, C Evans 90 & 120 pen)
(after extra time, 90 mins 3-3)
NWCFA Intermediate Cup quarter-final – December 2010

A quite incredible NWCFA Intermediate Cup tie saw Glantraeth look dead and buried at 5-3 down with six minutes of extra time left only for the Anglesey side to produce the most dramatic of recoveries to scramble into the semi-finals.

If Kev O’Neill and Chris Roberts’ side’s 8-5 win over Bro Goronwy in the previous round was an epic this perhaps beat even that as Glan snatched victory in the 123rd minute of a cliffhanger at Maesdu Park.

In front after just 90 seconds through a superb strike from Gary Jones, the Bodorgan outfit went further ahead in the 10th minute with another fine finish from the same player.

At this stage the Gwynedd League visitors were well in control and it was against the run of play when Tudno pulled a goal back on 21 minutes as Zac Evans sneaked in at the far post to head home a cross from the left.

Glan had lost some of their early impetus and the home side pulled level with Evans again the scorer five minutes before the break.

The islanders should have had the chance to go back in front on the stroke of half-time as James Saxon was clearly tripped as he surged into the area but inexplicably referee Tony Hill failed to blow his whistle and pointed for a goal-kick.

Half-time: 2-2

Llandudno took the lead 10 minutes into the second period as Dean Seager broke clear from what looked an offside position and was left with an easy finish.

On the hour mark the visitors were awarded a penalty but this time Gary Jones’ powerful spot-kick brought out a tremendous save from keeper Danny Adams.

With the tie entering added time it looked all over for Glan as Daron Wyn Jones had a shot saved from point blank range, but Craig Evans proved the saviour as he got behind the home defence to level in the 93rd minute and necessitate an added half hour.

Tudno began the stronger side in the extra period and went back in front six minutes in as Allan Davies side-footed home a right wing cross and Glan were caught short at the back four minutes later as Alun Williams cut in to score and put the home side 5-3 ahead.

With all subs used and Chris Roberts hobbling things were not looking too good for the village side but the best was yet to come.

Six minutes remained when Steve Jones jinked in from the right and his low shot found the bottom corner, then Gary Jones missed a great chance to complete his hat-trick.

With time up there was more drama as holding in the area resulted in another penalty to Glantraeth and this time Craig Evans made no mistake to make it 5-5 and set up a shoot-out – or so everyone thought.

This amazing game had yet one more drama to unfold as with three minutes of added time played Glan won it with virtually the last kick as Gary Jones’ drive in from the left found Adams out of position and he could only watch in despair as the ball entered the net via a post.

It was Jones’ third hat-trick in four games and triggered off wild scenes of celebration.

Eleven goals but there could have been more. A clear cut penalty denied and a penalty miss for the Anglesey side and a quite brilliant man of the match display from keeper Kyle Williams.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: