Skip to toolbar

Flashback: Four trophies in 14 days for CPD Glantraeth !

Glantraeth (blue) and Bro Goronwy share one of many great battles from the 2010-11 season

Glantraeth 3 (C Evans 5, J Saxon 48, G Jones 92)
Beaumaris Town 2 (A Clarke 27, Monument 90)
Cwpan Gwynedd Final 2010-11
(after extra time)

Well and truly back with a bang!

Quadruple kings Glantraeth made it four trophy wins in 14 glorious days with a thrilling Cwpan Gwynedd final victory over fellow islanders Beaumaris at Holyhead.

Kev O’Neill and Chris Roberts’ side completed the final leg of a four-timer following triumphs in the Gwynedd Shield, Bob Owen Memorial Shield and NWCFA Intermediate Cup finals.

And even though Glan were pipped to the Gwynedd League title by Bro Goronwy, the champions were refused promotion to the Welsh Alliance and the Bodorgan club went up instead.

All this fourth-tier success was a far cry from the end of the 2008/09 season when a player-strapped Glantraeth disbanded after finishing next bottom of a Cymru Alliance League they had won as recently as 2005/06.

The club took a season out but returned revitalised this term in the Gwynedd League and the glory days were restored at Cae Trefdraeth.

Glantraeth completed an incredible two weeks as they added the Cwpan Gwynedd to their season’s honours.

It was a final played in diabolical conditions at the New Stadium with the gale force wind dominating the proceedings.

Glantraeth grabbed the lead after just five minutes as Craig Evans forced the ball home for his 26th goal of the season following a long delivery in from Chris Saxon.

Beaumaris fought back well and after a series of errors in the Glan defence, Andy Clarke put the Beach Road side level on 27 minutes as he converted a cross from Gareth Davies.

Level at the interval and with the wind behind them to follow Beau must have thought the game was theirs to win, but were shocked as Glan came out charged up after the break.

The Bodorgan outfit quickly went back in front as good work by Ian Pleming ended with James Saxon slamming home from 15 yards.

A minute later it took a full length save from Dave Clarke to keep out another effort from James Saxon.

With the game in the second minute of added time and Glantraeth looking home and dry they were shocked as a corner was not properly cleared and Shaun Monument headed home to force an added half-hour.

The deciding goal came two minutes into the extended period as a great through ball from Huw Allan Jones put Gary Jones clear and his superbly struck match-winner gave Clarke no chance.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: