Flashback: NWCFA Challenge Cup Final – Llandudno v Gap Connah’s Quay (2008-09)

Danny Hughes notched the winner for Llandudno in the 2009 NWCFA Challenge Cup Final. Picture: Neil Sheldon

Next season the North Wales Coast FA Challenge Cup competition is due to return after a six-year absence.

Grassroots North Wales is running a mini-series recollecting past finals.

Today we look back at a great day for Llandudno FC as they made it two Challenge Cup successes on the bounce.

Llandudno 1 (D Hughes 29)

Gap Connah’s Quay 0

NWCFA Challenge Cup Final – May 16, 2009

Danny Hughes’ first-half back-heeled effort clinched back-to-back Challenge Cup successes for Llandudno.

Winners over Flint Town United 12 months earlier, Grant Montgomery and James Cornish’s side upset the odds by toppling Welsh Premier outfit Gap Connah’s Quay in the 2009 final at Cae-y-Castell.

It was the fourth time the Seasiders had lifted the prestigious trophy in their history and brought the curtain down gloriously on a season where Tudno did not realise their full potential in the Cymru Alliance.

The final was a dour affair spoiled by the wind, but Llandudno dug in for a victory they just about deserved.

“We always seem to raise our game against the better sides and I felt we deserved to win on the day,” said joint manager Montgomery.

“It’s nice to finish the season by winning this cup for a second year on the bounce and it will give us a good platform to build on for next season.”

Nomads manager Steve O’Shaughnessy was understandably disappointed at his team’s inability to perform at Flint.

“We just never got going, although the blustery conditions didn’t help either side,” he said.

“What killed us was the three-week break since we last played. I also felt the referee didn’t have the best of games which didn’t help us.”

Llandudno broke through close to the half hour when during a goalmouth scramble Hughes back-heeled home from six yards.

The Cymru Alliance side had two other good chances in the half, both falling to Ben Dews.

The midfielder was through with just the keeper to beat eight yards out but fired wide, then he was in on goal again but Nomads custodian Terry McCormick saved well at his feet.

After the break the Welsh Premier side upped the ante, especially for the first quarter hour, but Tudno defended staunchly.

As the half wore on, other chances came the way of the Seasiders with young substitute Toby Jones going close and Lee Thomas foiled by McCormick.

Nomads’ cause was not helped when substitute Aden Shannon received a red card 15 minutes from time for raising his hands to an opponent during a scuffle.

The final did turn rather physical in the closing stages but Llandudno held themselves together to register a memorable win.

Quay were Tudno’s second Welsh Premier scalp in that season’s Challenge Cup, Prestatyn Town having fallen by the wayside in an earlier round.

Connah’s Quay: McCormick, Clarke (Dixon), B Alston, A Alston, Phil Doran, Cronshaw, Quinn, Peter Doran, Jones, Addo (Shannon), Loughlin.

Llandudno: Sean Pearson, Paul Roberts, Sean Eardley, Craig Hogg (c), Neil Coverley, Danny Hughes, Gaz Evans, Ben Dews (Toby Jones), Lee Thomas, Gwyn Peters (Joe Morgan), Arran Pritchard. Subs not used: Darren Jones, Alan Roberts, Luke O’Mahoney.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: