Welsh Cup classics No 13: Caersws v Llangefni Town (2005-06)

Llangefni Town’s manager back in 2005-06 Bryan Owen. Picture: Mike Smith, Citizens Choice website

Caersws 1 (Venables)
Llangefni Town 3 (G Jones, Hogg, Thomas)
Welsh Cup round four – February 4, 2006

Llangefni reached the Welsh Cup quarter-finals for the one and only time in their history to date after pulling off a shock 3-1 victory at Welsh Premier League hosts Caersws.

Bryan Owen’s side, who finished fifth in the Cymru Alliance that 2005/06 season, were not expected by many to progress at the Recreation Ground.

But just as they did in the 1991/92 Welsh Intermediate Cup Final, they caused a big shock by beating the Bluebirds.

On that famous occasion, Cefni became the first and only Anglesey side to win what is now known as the FAW Trophy after overcoming Caersws 2-1 in a replay, the first match ending 1-1.

Fourteen years later the match had to be decided on the day and it was ‘Sws who struck first through a young Chris Venables on 35 minutes.

However, midfield battler Gerallt Jones pulled the visitors level before late goals from defender Craig Hogg and front man Darren Thomas, then aged just 19, sealed a memorable away win.

Cefni boss Owen felt his side were full value for their 3-1 success.

“I thought we fully deserved to win on chances created, their keeper had more to do than ours,” he said.

“We went into the game trying not to give the ball away, keep things tight and see how things went. When they scored I felt it was against the run of play.

“But the more the game went on I felt we had half a chance, although we never expected to score three goals. I thought it would be more backs to the wall, but credit has to be given to the way we played.

“This is the biggest win in my time with the club.”

Owen, who returned to the helm at Lon Talwrn that season, believed his side’s preparations had helped contribute to the victory.

“I’m quite friendly with a few Welsh Premier managers and they gave me some information while we also worked on set pieces,” he said.

“We didn’t score from any in training, so it was nice that one came off on Saturday when Craig Hogg scored.”

Owen, however, admitted his side’s efforts were not rewarded in the draw after being paired away to South Wales WPL side Port Talbot in the quarter-finals.

“We were not happy with the draw, we would have much preferred to have played either Bangor or Caernarfon,” he added.

Cefni lost 3-0 at Port Talbot, ending their hopes of becoming the first team from the island ever to reach the Welsh Cup semis.

In 1960-61, Holyhead Town made the last eight, losing 5-0 to Swansea City, then the following season were beaten 4-0 by Wrexham at the same stage, but having knocked out Chester 2-1 in the previous round.

No Ynys Môn team reached the quarter-finals again until 2003/04 when Glantraeth achieved the feat, going out 4-1 to The New Saints.

In 2005/06, as reported here, Llangefni appeared in the quarters, and the last time a team Môn made the final eight was in 2006/07, Holyhead Hotspur suffering a 5-1 defeat to then WPL club Welshpool.

Llangefni Town squad 2005-06 (I don’t have the Llangefni team line-up that won at Caersws, but I do have their squad from that season):
Phil Owen, Andy Wagstaffe, Caerwyn Roberts, Craig Hogg, Sion Parry, Marcus Orlik, Danny Hughes, Dan Pyrs, Adrian Jones, Gerallt Jones, Gareth Griffiths, James Saxon, Matthew Webber, Darren Thomas, Darren Pritchard, Ian Pleming, Grahame Austin, David Alan Jones, Daron Wyn Jones, Chris Boulton, John Rowley, Iwan Jones.

All Welsh Cup round four results – Feb 4, 2006

Bangor City 2-1 Newtown
Caernarfon Town 4-0 Bala Town
Caersws 1-3 Llangefni Town
Cwmbran Town 1-3 Port Talbot Town
Llanelli 1-0 TNS
NEWI Cefn Druids 3-5 Rhyl FC
Pontypridd Town 0-5 Goytre United
Prestatyn Town 1-2 Carmarthen Town

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: