Top 10 club matches of the decade: Caernarfon Town

Caernarfon celebrate one of their seven goals at Druids. Picture: Paul Evans

1 Cefn Druids 0 Caernarfon Town 7 (Cymru Alliance – 2015/16)

Caernarfon were crowned league champions in the most dynamic style imaginable with a 7-0 away thrashing of promotion hopefuls Cefn Druids.
The Canaries, unable to go up to the Welsh Premier League after failing to gain a domestic licence, destroyed Druids through a Jamie Breese hat-trick, plus two goals apiece from Clive Williams and Nathan Craig.
That treble put Breese on 26 goals for the season.
More than 200 Caernarfon supporters were there to witness their team clinch the championship in ruthless fashion.
Although Town won the title by nine points, second-place Druids were promoted as they met the licence criteria.

2 Caernarfon Town 4 Caernarfon Wanderers 2 (Barritt Cup – 2010/11)

The poster which publicised the 2010-11 Caernarfon cup derby. Image: Alex Philp

A crowd of just under 2,000 crammed into The Oval for a thrilling first derby clash between the illustrious Town and newcomers Wanderers back in the 2010-11 season.
No less than 1,927 spectators ensured Town’s famous ground attracted the second highest gate of any football match in Wales that weekend.
Town were coping with a difficult stage in their history, having dropped down to level-three Welsh Alliance Division One after being relegated from the Welsh Premier League two seasons previously.
Ambitious Wanderers had won the Caernarfon and District League Division Two and Division One titles back-to-back before gaining promotion from the Gwynedd League in 2009/10, rising to Welsh Alliance Division Two, of which they were also to finish champions at the end of 2010-11.
Wanderers grabbed two goals in the first 10 minutes of this Barritt Cup encounter through Jonathan Sadler and Dylan Peters.
As the first half wore on, the Canaries’ brand of passing football started to gain a foothold, and they were rewarded with goals in quick succession from Geraint Mitchell and Craig Green.
Town forged into the lead with a Kevin Lloyd strike, and just on the stroke of half time Gareth Roberts netted the fourth.
The second half was a calmer affair and no further goals were scored.

3 Caernarfon Town 2 Barry Town United 0 (Welsh Cup third round – 2017/18)

Nathan Craig (second left) scored a magical free kick against Barry

A tie remembered best for its magnificent free-kick goal from Nathan Craig, but also the fact it was a great cup giant-killing by the Huws Gray Alliance hosts in just Sean Eardley’s third game in charge.
Barry looked unlucky not to win an early penalty before Jamie Breese showed great persistence to drive home Caernarfon’s first, taking advantage of slick build-up play.
Craig made it two before half time with a stunning free kick from all of 35 yards.
Goalkeepers Alex Ramsay of Caernarfon and Barry’s Mike Lewis also produced some stupendous saves in the game.

4 The New Saints 0 Caernarfon Town 1 (Welsh Premier League – 2018/19)

Before this game, champions TNS were undefeated at home in the league and had recorded the following scores: 5-1, 6-0, 6-0, 0-0, 6-1 and 3-0.
They had also won 3-0 at Caernarfon two months earlier, so few gave the Canaries a prayer when they travelled to Park Hall – especially as Sean Eardley’s men had not won in six.
However, Town defended magnificently, and sealed the points plus a first win over Saints with a late penalty from Nathan Craig.

5 Caernarfon Town 3 Carmarthen Town 1 (Welsh Cup 2016/17)

Jamie Breese struck twice in a cup giant-killing over Carmarthen

Joy for the Canaries at The Oval as the Huws Gray Alliance hosts knocked out Welsh Premier opposition.
Chances fell at both ends before the deadlock was finally broken in the 54th minute, Darren Thomas’ shot crashing back off the post and Jamie Breese converting the rebound.
Lewis Harling levelled for the Old Gold on 62, but in the 69th minute Thomas set up Breese to chip in his and the Cofis’ second.
Thomas then made it 3-1 with a sublime finish from the edge of the area.

6 Caernarfon Town 2 The New Saints 3 (Welsh Cup 2014/15)

Darren Thomas (yellow) produced the Goal of the Decade against TNS in 2014-15

Then Huws Gray Alliance side Caernarfon met mighty Welsh Premier champions TNS in the third round of the Welsh Cup on November 30, 2014.
The Canaries were already one-up through Nathan Craig’s free kick before Darren Thomas brought the house down – literally.
In the 25th minute, Thomas turned sharply close to the halfway line before leaving a trail of defenders in his wake and lashing home a beauty from the edge of the D.
Unfortunately, a wall behind the goal Thomas had just fired into gave way, causing a large group of supporters to fall in a heap.
Thankfully, no-one was badly injured, but the game had to be delayed at a crucial stage.
On resumption, TNS settled much the better, and three goals in seven minutes put them ahead by half time.
Despite a fantastic second half display from the Cofis, there was no further score and Saints went through, but one will always wonder how Town might have fared had they not been disrupted in their prime.
Thomas’ wonder effort was named Goal of the Decade by Sgorio viewers this week.

7 Caernarfon Town 2 Bangor City 2 (Caernarfon won 5-4 on pens – 2013/14 NWCFA Challenge Cup final)

Caernarfon celebrate their Challenge Cup success

The last NWCFA Challenge Cup final played before the competition was indefinitely suspended was won by Caernarfon Town.
It was 1-1 at half time, Jamie McDaid putting Bangor ahead before the Citizens had Gerwyn Jones sent off for committing the foul which led to a penalty for the Canaries.
Young City keeper Nic Bould saved the spot-kick, but the Cofis equalised before the break through Grahame Austin.
Ten-man Bangor more than held their own in the second half, but it looked like Caernarfon had won it when Dion Donohue netted in the 88th minute only to be ruled offside.
Extra time was needed and Jay Colbeck put City in front on 98 minutes before Jordan Barrow levelled from the spot after 105.
This led to a shoot-out and it stood 4-4 before Barrow put away the decisive kick of a final marred by crowd trouble.

8 Caernarfon Town 2 Nefyn United 1 (Barritt Cup final – 2010/11)

After a turbulent period which had threatened the club’s existence Caernarfon’s fortunes took an upturn with a memorable cup success.
Two goals from Gareth Roberts clinched the Barritt Cup for a Canaries side managed by Steve Smith.
A difficult season for a Town team which had been relegated to the third-tier Welsh Alliance ended on a high note at Y Morfa, Conwy.
In an all-WAL final, the Cofis were worthy winners over a spirited Nefyn outfit.
On 44 minutes Caernarfon got the breakthrough following a cross to the far post where Roberts was able to squeeze the ball in between keeper Ian Aikman and the upright.
Then on the hour, following a kick out of defence, the ball came to Roberts whose shot went in off Penwaig defender John Pugh to make it 2-0.
In the 80th minute Nefyn replied when Rhodri Scott hit a screamer befitting any final, but that was the end of the scoring..

9 Airbus 3 Caernarfon Town 3 (Huws Gray Alliance – 2017/18)

Sean Eardley’s first match in charge of Caernarfon was a pretty dramatic affair

Having replaced Iwan Williams as manager, Sean Eardley’s first match in charge of Caernarfon on November 11, 2017, was a tough test at Airbus.
Three goals down at half time, the signs were not good for the new boss, yet the Canaries stormed out for the second period, pulled level through Gareth Edwards, Danny Brookwell and Jay Gibbs and could so easily have won it in the end.
This laid down a marker for Eardley’s leadership. The Canaries did not lose a league game for the rest of the season and lifted the HGA title.

10 Bala Town 1 Caernarfon Town 3 (Welsh Premier – 2018/19)

Caernarfon were different class in the second half of this thrilling live TV tussle at Maes Tegid.
Bala should have been out of sight by half time.
Henry Jones capitalised on a defensive error to hand the Lakesiders an early lead.
Steven Tames and Chris Venables then missed chances which had to be seen to be believed, while Jamie Breese did the same at the other end.
Desperate Cofis defending and some Alex Ramsay heroics ensured it somehow remained 1-0 up to half time.
Trailing up to the hour, Darren Thomas headed in an equaliser from a Nathan Craig corner and from there the visitors were unstoppable.
Danny Brookwell made it 2-1 with a magnificent volley in off the bar following another flag-kick.
Then Gareth Evans was fouled in the box and Craig clinched the spoils with a late penalty.

And a Christmas bonus………

Caernarfon Town 6 Kilvey Fords 0 (FAW Trophy final 2012/13)

It was a day to remember for the Cofi Army at Latham Park, Newtown as Lee Dixon’s heroes recorded the biggest ever victory in an FAW Trophy Final.
Swansea Senior League outfit Kilvey were swept aside by goals from Darren Thomas (2), Lee McArdle (2), Dion Donohue and Darren Gowans.
This success was part of a treble for the Canaries that season, with the Welsh Alliance League title and Cookson Cup also won.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: