Cymru North: Rob Hughes scores all four as leaders Prestatyn move five points clear, Bay claim victory at Flint, Ruthin joy

Michael Parker (red) takes on Corwen during his team’s 4-1 victory. Picture: John Pickles

Prestatyn Town 4 (Hughes 4) Corwen 1 (Davies)

Rob Hughes grabbed all four goals as Prestatyn Town moved five points clear at the Cymru North summit with a 4-1 home victory against Corwen.

Hughes, who had not scored since early November, boosted his total to 17 league goals and 21 in all competitions with his quadruple strike, which included a remarkable 12th successful penalty of the campaign.

Corwen probably feared the worst when they saw Hughes’ name in the opposition line-up as the former Connah’s Quay Nomads attacker had bagged a hat-trick in the Seasiders’ 6-1 triumph at the War Memorial Park back in August.

A crowd of just 154 at the Motion Finance Stadium saw Town produce a lively start and it was no surprise when they grabbed a 17th minute lead.

Jordan Davies was brought down in the box by the visiting keeper and Hughes converted from the spot.

Corwen were under the cosh for the most part, but home keeper Jon Rushton was forced into one fine fingertip save before the break.

Two minutes into the second half Prestatyn notched a crucial second when Hughes outfoxed the opposition defence with a brilliant run before doubling the lead.

On the hour it was 3-0 when Hughes finished clinically following superb line-up play with Danny Davies.

And it became four in the 66th minute when that man Hughes found the bottom corner via a free kick from the edge of the D.

Dale Davies pulled one back for the visitors, but 4-1 was how it ended.

Flint Town United 1 (Bratley) Colwyn Bay 2 (Williams, Bell)

Unlikely match-winner Will Bell secured a great result for the Bay at Cae-y-Castell.

The win at Flint will give the Seagulls a nice psychological advantage ahead of when they visit the Silkmen again in the Welsh Cup next month.

Niall McGuinness’ home side, who knocked Cymru Premier high-flyers Bala Town put of the national knockout last weekend, started the afternoon well, Callum Bratley putting them in front after four minutes from close range following a corner.

Danny Andrews went close to a second for the hosts against his former club before the Bay won a 37th minute penalty, but Tom McCready’s kick was saved by John Danby.

Colwyn would not be discouraged, and six minutes into the second half Julian Williams scored from a rebound after Mitch Bryant’s shot was parried by away glovesman Andy Coughlin.

And in the 66th minute it was 2-1 to the visitors when defender Bell fired in following a free kick into the box.

Bryant was clean through on goal in the 78th minute, but blasted over the bar when looking a dead cert to make it 3-1.

Bay had Darren Thornton sent off in the 90th minute for a second yellow, but the travellers held on to end Flint’s seven-match winning league run.

Ruthin Town 3 (Evans, Morris 2) Penrhyncoch 1 (Davies)

The prolific Llyr Morris struck twice in the second half to secure a home win for Ruthin.

Steffan Davies gave Penrhyncoch an early lead, only for Kevin Evans to make it level again on 35 minutes.

In the second half, Morris netted on 50 and 79 minutes to seal the spoils..

Postponed: Gresford Athletic v Llandudno, Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant v Guilsfield.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: