Match of the Day: Llandudno 6 Llanfair United 1 – FAW Women’s Cup round two

Sioned Bohana (left) had a magnificent game for Llandudno today. Picture: Sian Armstrong

FAW Women’s Welsh Cup round two
Llandudno 6 (Davies 2, Bohana, Tradewell 2, Greenough) Llanfair United 1 (N Ellis)

Five second-half goals ensured Llandudno became the first North Wales team to reach the quarter-finals of the 2019-20 FAW Women’s Welsh Cup this afternoon.

With the Denbigh Town v Connah’s Quay Nomads and Rhyl v Bethel second round ties both postponed due to the weather, Tudno were the sole northerners in action in the competition today when they welcomed Llanfair to Maesdu Park.

The Powys visitors, top of North Wales League Division One with a 100% record, were expected to give their Welsh Premier hosts a tough battle – and so it proved.

There was little between the sides up until just past the hour mark when it stood at 1-1, but then Llandudno upped a gear and ran away with the tie.

It was a good all-round team effort from Sarah Colville’s hosts, but stand-out performer was undoubtedly defender Sioned Bohana, who also netted her first goal for the side.

Llandudno took a 21st minute lead when Kelsey Davies was through on keeper Tracey Godsell and applied a very composed finish.

Nia Ellis equalised seven minutes later for Llanfair, who travelled with the bare 11 players.

Half time came with honours even, but after the break the hosts began to impose themselves more on the contest, passing the ball around more efficiently.

Tudno edged back in front in the 62nd minute when Bohana attacked the ball from a corner and headed home powerfully for 2-1.

Davies added number three with a tremendous finish on 66 minutes and Tudno all but sealed the game when midfielder Stacey Tradewell netted with a screamer after 74.

Jordanne Greenough tapped in after Davies drilled the ball across the goalmouth to make it 5-1 in the 80th minute.

And there was one more to come from the WPWL side, Tradewell missing an attempted volley from a Greenough delivery but connecting second time around to beat the keeper.

Tudno keeper Rebecca Elliott was unable to continue in the second half due to injury, so Cat Jones took over between the sticks and Claire Colville came on to assist the defence.

Winning manager Sarah Colville said: “In the first half the game could have gone either way, both teams were fighting for everything and Llanfair were a very strong team.

“At half-time Mark (Jones – assistant) and myself told the players we needed to start passing the ball around and work for each other, and we will then get a result.

“In the second half the ladies did as we asked and we started dominating the game and scored goals.”

Times have been tough of late for Llandudno, last weekend bringing a 17-0 league defeat at Cardiff Met with the North Walians having to travel south with a depleted squad.

Colville added: “The situation we’ve been in recently has been difficult, but today we looked good to watch in the second half and even the players enjoyed playing.

“We were the fitter side second half, plus with us passing the ball around a lot more it was harder for them to break us down.

“I’m happy with the result. Hopefully we can take this win on to next week’s game against Cyncoed.”

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: