Welsh Cup round two: Bangor 1876 dreams are over, Mold hit eight, Bay squeeze past Nantlle Vale

Greenfield and Flint Town United (stripes) battle it out in the Welsh Cup. Picture: Lee Douglas

Welsh Cup round two reports – November 9, 2019

Bangor 1876 0 Ruthin Town 2

Gwynedd League 1876’s success stories in national cup competitions are over for this season, but what a ride it has been.

A week after their 13-match winning run ended with a 4-1 loss at Llanrwst United in the FAW Trophy, the fan-owned club went down 2-0 at home to Cymru North favourites Ruthin Town in the Welsh Cup second round today.

Despite there being three levels between the teams, it was a pretty evenly-fought tie with the Treborth hosts giving as good as they got in a fine encounter watched by a crowd of 407.

A Kevin Evans header on the half-hour was all that separated the sides at the break, then the prolific Llyr Morris added a second for the visitors four minutes into the second period.

Bangor 1876 can now concentrate on defending their 100% record in the Gwynedd League, as well as targeting glory in the NWCFA Junior Cup and domestic knockout competitions.

Bangor City 0 Prestatyn Town 3

Yalany Baio sees red for Bangor City (right – in blue). Pic: Damon Mead

Cymru North leaders Town outclassed a City side which ended this second round tussle with nine men.

Earlier this season, the Citizens had three sent off in a 7-0 league defeat at Prestatyn and they almost matched that number of dismissals at Nantporth.

The visitors took an 11th minute lead when Robbie Hughes went on a run and neatly set up Jack Kenny to break the deadlock.

Jon Rushton produced a fine point blank save to keep the Seasiders ahead, then two minutes before the interval City’s task got much harder when they had Yalany Baio sent to the dressing room for a second caution.

Jack Higgins (red) loops one in for Prestatyn. Pic: Damon Mead

Ten minutes into the second half, Town put one foot firmly into the last 32 when Jack Higgins applied a fine finish for 2-0.

Kenny headed against the bar before City were reduced to nine men when Pavel Vieira was shown a second yellow.

Ten minutes from time, Dan Roberts’ long delivery was headed in by skipper Alex Jones to seal it.

Greenfield 1 Flint Town United 3

All the goals in this Welsh Alliance versus Cymru North derby came inside the first 23 minutes.

A pair of rapid strikes from Callum Bratley and Nathan Brown put the Silkmen in command.

Brown made it 3-0 on 20 minutes, but soon after Sam Jones pulled one back for the underdogs.

Greenfield can feel proud of denying their illustrious visitors any more goals in the 70-plus minutes after Flint got a third.

Holyhead Hotspur 0 Buckley Town 3

A somewhat flattering final score in the Cymru North side’s favour, but it is goals that count and Buckley netted more than enough to clinch this tie.

Aron Williams, Jake Roberts and Phil Molyneux produced the strikes that sank the Welsh Alliance Division One hosts.

Rob Jones went closest for the home team when his second-half effort flew inches over the bar from a great position.

Hotspur created a few other decent opportunities but were unable to take them.

Llandudno 4 Llanfair United 1

Four second-half goals sent Tudno through in this all-Cymru North battle at Maesdu Park.

Underdogs Llanfair led 1-0 at half time through a Paul Griffiths penalty, but the hosts got on top after the turnaround.

Danny Hughes rattled the crossbar before a quickfire Aron Jones double put the Seasiders in front.

Hughes made it 3-1 from a rebound before Dan Stephens added a late fourth.

Llannefydd 1 Guilsfield 5

A huge effort from Welsh Alliance Division Two outsiders Llannefydd proved not enough as Guilsfield of Cymru North took command in the last half-hour.

Chris Cathrall put the Powys side ahead on 24 minutes, but Brad Jones’ leveller before the interval raised hopes of a major upset.

Llannefydd were more than matching their visitors from two standards higher before George Clifton made it 2-1 to Guils in the 56th minute.

After that Cathrall claimed centre stage with another three goals to secure the win.

Mold Alexandra 8 Llanrug United 1

This tie at Alyn Park stood 0-0 at half time, but it was a totally different story in the second stanza as Mold piled on the goals.

Although a final score of 8-1 was perhaps a little harsh on Llanrug, this was still a mighty performance from the Alex.

Danny Warren (3), Matty Pierce, Kev Day, Dan Lloyd, Henry Carver and Conner Kendrick shared the home tally, Jon Sadler with a late consolation for Rug.

Nantlle Vale 0 Colwyn Bay 1

A goal from Julian Williams on 76 minutes put Colwyn Bay into the third round of the Welsh Cup with a hard fought 1-0 victory at Nantlle Vale.

Williams ensured the Seagulls maintained their impressive winning run by firing in the decider with a curling shot from 25 yards.

Tom McCready had earlier struck the post for the Cymru North visitors, while Matt Russell had to head off the line when Vale threatened from a corner.

Porthmadog 4 Gresford Athletic 1

A great second half performance secured Port their place in the hat for round three.

An early effort from Ilan ap Gareth drew a good Jon Hill-Dunt save but the ensuing corner provided Port with a bizarre opening goal.

Ifan Emlyn’s flag-kick seemingly made everyone in the area freeze momentarily, allowing the ball to find its way through the crowded box into the far corner of the net.

The hosts missed further chances before keeper Paul Pritchard brilliantly saved a 34th minute penalty from Gresford’s Jake Eyre.

Just three minutes on and the visitors were back on level terms. Initially, Pritchard pulled off a save, but Jack Chaloner was on to the rebound to chip over a despairing keeper.

Port made a great start to the second half and took the lead on 48 minutes when Hill-Dunt parried away an angled shot from John Owen and Ilan ap Gareth netted from 10 yards.

In the 73rd minute Owen turned well to place his shot perfectly inside the near post for 3-1.

Sub Sion Parry put the icing on the cake with the fourth from a narrow angle.

Rhyl 3 FC Queen’s Park 0

Sam Molyneux (No10) puts Rhyl in front. Picture: Thomas Davies

A comfortable passage to the last 32 for a Rhyl side facing determined opponents from the Welsh National League Premier.

In the lively opening, the Lilywhites’ James Murphy saw his cross hit the bar before the hosts struck the woodwork again five minutes later as Arek Piskorski headed against the post from a very tight angle.

Rhyl took the lead in the 19th minute when Murphy, Tom Creamer and assist-supplier Cai Owen combined for Sam Molyneux to fire first time past Joseph Jones in the Queen’s Park goal.

The Park were reduced to 10 men on the 29-minute mark when Sean Dodd was dismissed for a challenge on Rhyl midfielder Ross Stephens.

Early in the second half the hosts went two-up when a Stephens corner was headed in by Ben Nash.

A third goal saw Creamer run past two defenders before finishing well, his strike finding the bottom left hand corner.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: