Wednesday football: Moore scores four as Hotspur hit eight, Holywell triumph through late own goal

Craig Moore (pictured last season playing for Bryngwran Bulls) scored four for Holyhead Hotspur in the Welsh Trophy. Picture: Wynne Evans

Craig Moore was a four-goal hero as Holyhead Hotspur stormed to an 8-1 win over Penrhyndeudraeth in tonight’s replayed FAW Trophy tie at the New Stadium.

Despite originally being scheduled for Maes-y-Parc, two postponements meant the game was switched to Holyhead and Darren Garmey’s side certainly made the most of it.

Moore, who is usually a reserve player but has past fine form in the third-tier Welsh Alliance, was in deadly touch with his quadruple, while Sam Ashworth, Robert Jones, Corey Jones and Deian Parry also found the net.

Penrhyn were always second best in this all-Welsh Alliance Division One third round battle.

Hotspur will now travel to Bodedern in the next stage.

Round four updated draw

FAW Amateur Trophy round four draw – North/Mid

Bodedern Athletic v Holyhead Hotspur

Carno v Llandudno Albion/Mynydd Isa Spartans

Cefn Mawr Rangers v Welshpool Town

Lex XI v Berriew

Llay Welfare v Llanrwst United

Llanuwchllyn/Llanrug United v Brymbo

Nantlle Vale v Barmouth and Dyffryn

Nefyn United/Llannefydd v Denbigh Town

Radnor Valley v Mold Alexandra

Rhos Aelwyd v Gaerwen

(to be played Saturday, November 23)

Welsh National League

Holywell Town were relieved after a Paul Johnson own goal four minutes from time secured them a 1-0 victory over Saltney Town in a Welsh National League Premier Division battle at Halkyn Road.

The Wellmen had created more than enough chances to seal the game before that late winner, beginning in the opening minutes when a penalty was awarded to the hosts for a foul on Shaun Tuck, but James Graham blasted the spot-kick over the bar.

After facing a storm in the first quarter-hour, Saltney started to settle and Jake Gibbons saw an effort palmed onto the crossbar by home keeper Mike Platt.

Tuck rattled the post for the Wellmen before a back-pedalling Platt managed to prevent the Bordermen taking the lead.

Platt was the hero again when he denied Jake Johnson in a one-on-one situation soon after the restart.

At the other end, Luke Edwards lashed one just wide before Tuck went close again.

Holywell kept missing chances before in the 86th minute an Edwards cross was turned into his own net by Johnson.

The Wellmen are now up to fifth in the Premier with games in hand on all above them.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: