Welsh National League: Brymbo edge thriller, holders Albion through, Park triumph in Welsh Cup

Penycae and Brymbo in league combat at the Riverside. Picture: Chas Rowland

Welsh National League Premier Division
Penycae 3 Brymbo 4

A seven-goal thriller at the Soccer Million Riverside Arena ended in a narrow victory for title hopefuls Brymbo.

Both sides missed a penalty while the scoresheet was blank, the Steelmen hitting the bar with their effort, while Cae’s Ant Dunleavy had one saved by Declan Morgan.

However, Brymbo led 1-0 at half time courtesy of a wonderful solo goal, an absolute screamer from Ryan Clarke.

After the break it was thrills and goals galore.

Declan Morgan saves a penalty for Brymbo. Picture: Chas Rowland

Andrew Swarbrick netted from close range to make it one-each before the visitors regained the lead on the hour through Jake Clark, who applied a lovely finish following a swift one-two with Andy Noonan.

Tom Spearitt of Penycae was shown a red card, but this did not discourage the hosts, who levelled through a superb Calyn Spencer header from a corner.

Brymbo struck again thanks to Clarke, only for Ruben Monteiro to make it 3-3 with seven minutes left.

Perhaps a draw would have been a fair result, but the Steelmen went for it and nabbed the winner via Jamie Cumming three minutes from time.

Premier Division Cup

Warren Duckett struck twice and Tom Douglas added another for Rhostyllen in a 3-2 extra time victory at Brickfield Rangers.

This tie saw rock bottom of the Premier host the leaders, but it ended up a very close contest.

Holders Cefn Albion went through by the same score at Rhydymwyn.

Callum Mannion, Nathan Williams and Tom Miller were the Albion marksmen, Matty Hill and Adam Davies replying for the hosts.

New signing Conner Kendrick scored two goals and provided a couple of assists on his debut for Mold Alex in a 7-0 hammering of Castell Alun Colts.

Kendrick, who recently left Penycae, stood out on his first outing for the Alex, whose other goals came via Henry Carver (2), Danny Wynne, Lewis George and Kev Day.

Adam Colley, Matthew Worrall and Tom Wells all found the net as Llay Welfare progressed comfortably 3-0 at Rhos Aelwyd.

Saltney Town edged past Llanuwchllyn 4-3 in extra time.

Rabeh Jumaa put the Bordermen ahead on two minutes, a Ben Barratt own goal levelled the tie midway through the first half, but Adrian Callaghan netted for the hosts to make it 2-1 at half time.

When Jake Johnson extended the lead to 3-1 on 78 minutes it looked all over, but before the 90 was up Joe Evans and Iolo Jones brought it back all-square to force an added half-hour.

And it was Danny Burgess who delivered the decider in the 94th minute.

Welsh Cup second qualifying round
Cefn Mawr Rangers 1 FC Queen’s Park 4

Park hero Barry Torrence

FC Queen’s Park booked a tie at Prestatyn Sports in the first round proper of the Welsh Cup after a comfortable 4-1 win at Cefn Mawr Rangers.

Saturday’s re-arranged second qualifying round trip to Welsh National League Division One opponents saw the Park captain Barry Torrence deliver the perfect hat-trick for the Premier Division visitors.

The first two were all about Tristan Wagner, a delightful free kick put the first one on a plate for Torrence to head home from six yards and then the second followed an outrageous piece of skill inside the Cefn Mawr box leading to a left-foot finish.

The young Cefn Mawr Rangers side always looked dangerous on the break, but come the interval the Park were 2-0 up.

After the interval the visitors had lots of the ball and again good movement and passing saw them create a number of chances.

Nath Buckley then lit the place up with a great jinking run into the box before squaring the ball for James Gregory to tap home.

As the game entered the final stages Cefn were awarded a penalty which was calmly slotted home by Chris Roberts, but before the end Torrence managed to seal his impeccable treble as he netted with his right foot.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: