Ardal North West – Rhyl 1879 stay top, fine wins for Llanrwst and Llay, Conwy hit eight

Felinheli (red) and Rhyl 1879 do battle at Cae Seilo. Picture: PATRICK CAIN


CPD Y Felinheli 0 CPD Y Rhyl 1879 2

Felinheli (red) test the Rhyl defence. Picture: PATRICK CAIN

Leaders Rhyl needed a 96th minute clincher from Ollie Staveley to finally kill off the determined challenge of hosts Felinheli at Cae Seilo.

The Lilywhites broke the deadlock in the 22nd minute when Oliver Buckley provided the assist for Alex Jones to bury his fourth goal in two matches.

Felin did all they could to battle back, but could not grab that elusive equaliser and deep into added time late substitute Staveley drilled a low shot into the left-hand corner to secure maximum spoils and a fifth straight win for Rhyl in all competitions.

Nantlle Vale 2 Llay Welfare 3

Rhys Lloyd was Llay’s match-winner

This was expected to be one of the matches of the day and it lived up to its billing.

Nantlle Vale suffered their first league defeat of the season and are the last team in the ANW to lose an undefeated record as third-placed Llay snatched the points at Maes Dulyn.

In a cracking first half, Max Peate and Scott Swords netted inside the first six minutes for the Welly before and Ashley Owen penalty and Cai Parry strike pulled the Penygroes hosts level by the interval.

It was anyone’s game in the second half and Rhys Lloyd grabbed the winner for the Wrexham side on 80 minutes.

Llay joint-manager Steven Halliwell said: “What a brilliant game of football! We were two-nil up within 5 1/2 minutes through goals from Max Peate and Scott Swords, Nantlle Vale then reacted really well and dominated the last 20 minutes of the first half, although their keeper Oliver Jones, who was MoM, made a great save from a Max header to prevent it going to 3-0. Vale scored a penalty and with a brilliant left footed strike made it 2-2.

“The second half I felt we were well worth the 3 points and were rewarded when Rhys Lloyd smashed the ball home after a goalmouth scramble, We had other chances but again were thwarted by the keeper,

“They hit the bar with a shot/cross in the last minute but we were well happy to take away their unbeaten status and the 3 points back to the Welfare.”

Conwy Borough 8 CPD Llannefydd 3

Anthony Marshall was on target for Conwy Borough

A best result of the season for Conwy so far with Stevie Jones pocketing a hat-trick for Anthony Weaver’s side.

Jack Williams struck first for Boro on seven minutes, Sam Jones levelled after 12, but Stevie Jones soon made it 2-1 from an Issac Carey assist.

Toby Jones added a third before Stevie Jones netted twice for the hosts on 35 and 41 minutes to complete a first-halt treble and make it 5-1 at the turnaround.

Early in the second half, Anthony Marshall brought up Boro’s half-dozen. then Elgan Roberts missed a penalty for Llannefydd before the visitors did respond with a Morgan Jones goal.

Carey made it 7-2, sub Llion Morris bagged another consolation for the visitors, but Tomas Cardias-Williams fittingly ensured Conwy had the final word with goal number eight.

Flint Mountain 4 Holyhead Hotspur 1

Calyn Spencer (left) was on the scoresheet for Flint Mountain

Tom Ruffer, Calyn Spencer, Mike Hayes and Rowan Brooks shared the goals in an emphatic home win for Mountain over visitors Hotspur.

It was 1-1 at half time, Dylan Summers-Jones equalising for the visitors on 32 minutes after Ruffer scored first for the hosts on 27, but Aden Shannon’s side took control in the second period.

Llanrwst United 4 Hawarden Rangers 1

Leighton Griffiths opened the scoring for Llanrwst

In their first match since the departure of manager Barry Owen, second-place Llanrwst maintained that winning habit with a well-deserved beating of Hawarden.

Veteran former player-manager Leighton Griffiths put the Rwsters in front on 24 minutes when he beat a couple of opponents and fired into the bottom-left corner from the edge of the box.

Bottom side Rangers equalised through Paul Lindfield three minutes before the break.

A solid second half performance saw United home, with substitutes playing a key role.

Will Owen-Ford, who came on after 56 minutes, put Llanrwst ahead on 71 with a low drive from the edge of the area.

Another sub, Seydou Bamba, was fouled in the area a minute later and Callum Parry scored from the spot for his 21st goal of the campaign.

Bamba himself cut inside from out wide and powered in the fourth at the front post to clinch the points in added time.

CPD Pwllheli 0 Brickfield Rangers 3

Great win on the road for Bricky, all their goals coming in the second half.

Aaron Jones broke the deadlock on 51 minutes, Aiden Fox doubled the lead after 70 and substitute Cameron Thomas added a decisive third in overtime.

St Asaph City 5 Saltney Town 1

St Asaph (yellow and black) take on Saltney. Picture: MATT JOHNSON

New boys St Asaph are up to seventh after a nap-hand success in a game transferred to their home ground due to the unplayable state of the Saltney pitch.

Ryan Potts and Tyler Joyce delivered a double apiece for Saints, Jake Walker adding a single, while Lewis Bevan produced an added time consolation for the Bordermen.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.