Nathaniel MG Cup – wins for Holywell, Gresford, Caersws, Llandudno, Buckley and Ruthin

Danny Andrews (captain’s armband) celebrates his winning goal with Holywell team-mate Kai Wallis. Picture: LEE PAUL DOUGLAS


Caersws 1 Prestatyn Town 1 (Caersws won 5-3 on pens)

Tier 3 beat Tier 2 in this enthralling cup tie at the Recreation Ground in Powys.
Daniel Atkins finished well for Prestatyn following a neat through pass from Tom Hilditch, but before the break a lovely delivery from Neil Mitchell enabled Craig Harris to equalise from close range.
No further goals in the second half so penalties it was and the Bluebirds prevailed 5-3, debutant keeper Jack Perry produced a magnificent shoot-out save for the hosts.

Denbigh Town 0 Gresford Athletic 1

Denbigh (red) and Gresford battle for the ball. Picture: ROY GUNTHER

Dominic Deacon scored the decisive 54th minute winner as Gresford progressed to the next round at Central Park.
It was a satisfying night for Colliers boss Eddie Maurice-Jones against the team he once played for and managed.
New signings Josh Cooke, George Macready, Sam Spridgeon, Greg Evans and Tom Weir all made their competitive debuts for Athletic.
The first half was an even contest, tier 2 Gresford’s Alex Buxton firing just over the bar before third-tier Town had a penalty claim in the 15th minute through a potential handball in the box, but referee James Walker waved away the appeals.
The Lock Stock Ardal North West outfit soon went close when Jake Walker’s strike hit the crossbar.
Walker was inches off target before the break, while home keeper Aaron Jones saved well from Weir.
Gresford came out to try to dominate the second half and their effort was rewarded nine minutes in when Deacon’s shot was deflected into the net.
Dan Parry Jones threatened for Town as his low hard shot moved in the air as it approached substitute keeper Rhys Williams.
The movement caused Williams to have to use his knees to save and it bounced away to Gresford’s defence.

Holyhead Hotspur 1 Llandudno 2

First-half goals from new signing Telor Williams and experienced front man Marc Williams proved enough to see Llandudno into round two.
The deadlock was broken in the 23rd minute courtesy of a composed finish from ex-Caernarfon Town man Telor Williams.
And just before the interval, Telor’s pass found Marc Williams who looped the ball nicely into the top corner.
Hotspur were right back in it early in the second half when Jay Gibbs made it 2-1 with a back-post header.
The hosts pressed hard for the equaliser, but the Seasiders defended well with James Roberts making a fantastic save from a free kick and producing several other vital pieces of work between the posts.

Mold Alexandra 2 Holywell Town 3

Danny Andrews’ late decider clinched Holywell victory in this hard-fought derby at Alyn Park.
Newly-promoted to the Cymru North, Mold started strongly but the only early save of note saw Alex stopper Elliot Quinlan gather low to his left from a thumping long range effort by Tom Bibby.
At the other end, a deflected shot from Haci Ozlu had Keighan Jones scrambling to cover his near post as the ball passed narrowly wide.
Mold’s Danny Warren had a goal disallowed for offside, while the Wellmen went close on a couple of occasions before the visitors nabbed a 33rd minute lead.
Brady McGilloway, making his return competitive debut for the club whipped in a delicious right wing cross for Dave Forbes to convert at the near post.
Matthew Lewis fluffed a chance to equalise before the turnaround.
Mold piled forward at the beginning of the second period and turned the match on its head with a quick double.
A mistake at the back saw Rhys Nash score on the hour, and Steve Watkins made it 2-1 to the home side from close range after 64.
The immediate introduction of Morgan Murray for his debut soon enabled the Wellmen to get back on terms. Murray’s fine run and cross on the right saw Damian Ketley head back across goal for Forbes to rifle home his second.
The winner came on 80 minutes when Andrews’ neat lob over Quinlan punished a short back header from Mold defender Watkins to put the Wellmen 3-2 up.

Penrhyncoch 0 Buckley Town 2

Sam McCormick handed Buckley the lead just before half time and Max Moore sealed victory with an 80th minute second.
The visitors had assistant-manager Alan Edwards sent off late in the second half for a second yellow card.

Ruthin Town 4 Porthmadog 1

After trailing 1-0 at half time, Ruthin scored four unanswered goals in the second stanza to progress to the next round.
An established Cymru North side welcomed newcomers to tier 2 for this one, and it was Port who led at the break with a goal from new signing Callum Parry.
In the second half, debutant Jamie Nash scored twice for Town, while a Sam Rickett header and Joe Sullivan strike made up the rest.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: