Ellie Williams grabs goal which secures a brilliant victory for Llanystumdwy

Llanystumdwy match-winner Ellie Williams


TABLE UP TO AND INCLUDING APRIL 17 – http://www.allwalessport.co.uk

Llanystumdwy 1 (Ellie Williams 78)
Welshpool Town 0

Ellie Williams grabbed the vital goal which secured Llanystumdwy their first win in six league matches.

Having lost just 3-2 at Welshpool earlier in the season, the return match at Dwyfor Park on Sunday was expected to be just as close – and so it proved.

Before kick off a minute’s silence was observed in honour of Evie and the uncle of Welshpool’s coach, who sadly lost his life in the Hillsborough disaster, on the weekend of its 33rd anniversary.

Llanystumdwy started off strongly, keeping the pressure high up the pitch and not allowing Welshpool out of their own half.

Although no chances were created by either side, Welshpool started to get into the game midway through the first half.

Both defences were on top until a mistake late in the half allowed the visitors a big chance, but Sara Lacey produced a fine save,

Half time was welcomed by both teams as the heat was starting to affect everyone.

At the start of the second half, Llan knew they had a lot of work to do. Welshpool started the better team, but Llan’s defence were on top throughout. A couple of half-chances started to fall Welshpool’s way, but keeper Lacey kept her team in it.

Midway through, Llan were finding joy down both wings. Alaw Wood won the ball by the touchline in her own half and played a well-timed pass to Ellie Williams, who had plenty of time to lob the Welshpool keeper and put Llanystumdwy ahead 1-0.

The goal gave Llan a burst of confidence with more chances now falling their way. With players tiring, Llan had a lead to hold onto, but apart from a couple of corners, Welshpool were finding it tough to break through the home defence.

Now with Welshpool needing a goal, Llan were finding space in behind and won a succession of corners which were well dealt with by the visiting keeper.

In the closing stages, Llan won a free kick down the right hand side, and Tash Matthews’ effort went over the keeper’s head but bounced out off the crossbar.

Llanystumdwy managed to see the game out despite Welshpool’s continuous attacking efforts in what was a hard fought 1-0 win.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: