North Wales Coast West League – great wins for Bodedern, Amlwch and Holyhead Town

Glantraeth (red) on the attack against Mynydd Llandegai. Picture: WYNNE EVANS


Premier Division


Bodedern Athletic 5 CPD Nefyn United 0

Despite not being quite at their best Bodedern still managed to record a stunning 5-0 win over fourth-place Nefyn.
The leaders stretched their unbeaten run in the league to 21 matches – 20 of those wins.
Leading hitmen Marc Evans and Asa Thomas scored two apiece, lifting them to 53 and 45 goals this season respectively, while defender Declan Jones also found the net.
Winning manager Ricky Williams said: “We started like a house on fire as Carl (Jones) played a ball down the channel to Asa, who played a lovely ball across to Logs (Marc Evans) and he finished superbly.
“I thought Nefyn grew into the game and played some nice football but we doubled our lead as Asa whipped in a great free-kick and Declan Jones finished well.
“It was Asa again who was the provider for the third, as he whipped in a lovely ball and Logs headed home.
“We kept going in the second half and number four soon came as Tom Wood played Logs in down the channel and he squared for strike partner Thomas to bury it home. The fifth did not take long in arriving as Asa buried it from 20 yards. We weren’t at our best today and I thought Nefyn played really well but we we’re ruthless at times.”

CPD Aberffraw 2 CPD Penrhyndeudraeth 2

Cai Henshaw’s goal gave Penrhyn a half-time lead, but Nathan Moore levelled on 64 minutes only for Liam Watson to edge the visitors ahead again after 74.
Iolo Jones made it 2-2 on 85, then Henshaw missed a late penalty for the away side.

Glantraeth 2 Mynydd Llandegai 1

Intense action at Cae Glantraeth. Picture: WYNNE EVANS

Llandegai led through an Osian Jones goal, but Gethin Davies made it one apiece before the interval.
Arwel Williams provided Glantraeth’s winner early in the second half – an absolute screamer.

Gwalchmai 0 Amlwch Town 4

After 11 defeats on the bounce Amlwch turned the form book upside down in dramatic fashion.
Out to avenge a 4-2 home loss against Gwalchmai last October – also the month where they had last won a match – Amlwch did just that.
Town’s new management team of Shaun Pritchard, Pat Thomas and Sion Parry could not have made a better start.
Haydn Jones and Dan Jones struck in the first half, and after the turnaround Haydn Jones and Ryan Rowlands added further goals.
Gwalchmai had Konner Druce sent off near the end for two yellow cards.

CPD Llanberis 0 Bangor 1876 1

Jamie Petrie’s 79th minute goal was enough to earn 1876 a narrow victory at Ffordd Padarn.
It is never easy to win at Llanberis – something the visitors certainly discovered to be true.
The away side had plenty of close calls before scoring, Corrig McGonigle havng an effort clear off the line, while Petrie rattled the bar.
McGonigle found the net before half time, but was adjudged offside.
With 11 minutes left, McGonigle broke through the middle but was denied by home goalkeeper Dylan Roberts and it looked like the ball was set to drift out of play. However, Petrie reacted quickly to roll the ball home from a tight angle with his left foot.

Llanrug United 5 Menai Bridge Tigers 2

Kevin Lloyd (2), Osian Williams (2) and Alan Mark Owen guided Llanrug to a fine win over the Tigers, Craig Roberts and Kelvin Frazer replying.

Division One


Waunfawr 0 Holyhead Town 4

Two-goal hero Chris Hughes

Town celebrated one of their best wins of the season as they came away from Cae Top with a four-goal victory.
After the previous week’s frustrating loss to Mountain Rangers, Harbourmen stand-in manager Craig Brodie had goalkeeper Mike Bentley, Ryan Heywood and Chris Hughes available for selection.
Following a promising performance at Rangers which gave optimism for the remaining games of the season, the management opted to keep faith with the side, making only 2 changes with Hughes replacing Dan Lewis and Bentley returning in goal.
After a fairly even start, in the 23rd minute Kaine Bentley found space on the left to deliver for strike partner Chris Hughes to tap in at the near post and celebrate his first senior goal.
Waunfawr rallied and created some good chances, forcing some fine stops from Bentley along with Dylan Hughes’ curling effort hitting the post.
Holyhead took confidence from riding out the storm and pushed for the second goal which came on the 37th minute. Another counter attack down the left resulted in a corner, which was swung in by Kaine Bentley and headed home by Mike Williams at the back post.
Just before half time Waunfawr managed to put the ball In the net but it was ruled offside by the referee.
Half-time: Waunfawr 0 Holyhead Town 2
Holyhead started the second half well with Kaine Bentley and Chris Hughes looking a threat up front, the Waunfawr defence struggling to contain their pace.
In the 54th minute Aidan Batsford’s angled shot bound for the top corner was well saved by Leon Owen.
At the other end there were more outstanding saves from Mike Bentley.
With Waunfawr pushing for a goal, Paul Williams was able to exploit the high line with a through ball for Kaine Bentley, who was able round the keeper and get himself on the scoresheet in the 64th minute.
In the 70th minute, man of the match Chris Hughes’ pace was too much for the Waunfawr defence and he rounded the keeper to get his second of the game.

Caergybi A Cemaes Bay A

Match abandoned by referee in the second half.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: