JD Cymru North – Holywell win on their travels, Jay Gibbs wonder goal boosts Hotspur

Holywell (red and white stripes) on the attack against Llangefni, Picture: LEE PAUL DOUGLAS


LATEST TABLE – MARCH 26: http://www.allwalessport.co.uk

Llangefni Town 0
Holywell Town 3

Holywell players are applauded off the field. Picture: LEE PAUL DOUGLAS

Back in October, Holywell responded to a heavy defeat at Airbus by thrashing Llangefni Town 5-1 at Halkyn Road.

It kick-started a tremendous run of form which now stands at 11 wins in 14 league games for Johnny Haseldin’s men after Saturday’s 3-0 victory in the away return at Cefni.

Beaten only by Holyhead Hotspur in the past five months, the Wellmen have scooped 35 points out of the last possible 42 and now sit fourth in the Cymru North with a genuine chance of attaining a top-three finish.

Saturday’s contest, played on a summery afternoon in Anglesey, started at a fast pace.

Llangefni threatened first in the fifth minute, but top-scorer Jack Smith’s curling effort flew just above the bar.

The Wellmen started to tick, Danny Andrews volleying just wide before Dylan Allshorn’s fine cross found Dave Forbes, but the ball fell just behind him and he couldn’t generate a good enough connection to send it goalbound.

However, in the 27th minute, the ball was played beautifully over the Cefni defence into the path of Forbes, who dinked beyond the keeper and into the net.

Steve Sinclair saved well from Andrews, then Llangefni responded with a succession of corners, the most dangerous being cleared well by Zebb Edwards.

Moments later, Edwards was a central figure at the other end. Unmarked at the back post, Zebb tapped the ball into the bottom corner.

Zebb Edwards celebrates scoring for Holywell. Picture: LEE PAUL DOUGLAS

Half-time: 0-2

The second half was a generally scrappy affair.

Holywell clinched the points on 70 minutes when Allshorn was slipped through on the left-hand side and slotted calmly into the bottom right corner.

Holyhead Hotspur 2
Llanidloes Town 1

Jay Gibbs brought the house down at the New Stadium

Hotspur’s midfield maestro Jay Gibbs deals in special goals – and he added another to his collection in Saturday’s win over Llanidloes at the New Stadium.

Gibbs’ super 77th minute strike made sure Holyhead bagged the victory which moved them up to seventh in the Cymru North.

The first half was very scrappy with the surface not allowing for much football to be played.

This suited the third-from-bottom visitors, who were battling all over the pitch and posing a constant threat to the home back-line with their direct balls up to the strong Luke Boundford, a former Welsh Premier striker with Newtown.

The only real action was a curling effort from Dylan Summers-Jones which came back off the crossbar with the goalkeeper beaten.

The second half saw the home side pick up the pace and there were openings for Summers-Jones and Leon Doran, who fired over following a sweeping move down the left.

Then on 62 minutes, Summers-Jones’ strike on goal took a deflection and looped in over stranded keeper Luke Evans.

Hotspur, now in complete control, found a second.

A pinpoint pass from Liam Morris was met on the volley at the edge of the box by Gibbs, who didn’t have to break stride and his strike arrowed straight into the top corner. A truly remarkable goal which left the crowd amazed.

The away side did find a consolation through Boundford from the last kick of the game, but it was too little, too late.

Hotspur manager Darren Garmey said: “We knew today was going to be a tough game and after last week’s performance (a 1-1 draw with title contenders Llandudno) there was always a chance of us dipping, but the lads showed again just how strong they are mentally.

“The pitch made it hard for us to get into any kind of rhythm with our passing but in the second half the spaces opened up and we created a lot of good chances. Jay’s goal today was from the gods, I really cannot put into words how good it was but I know it will be spoken about for years to come.

“There was a feeling of disappointment at full time after conceding so late on but I think that just shows how far we have come this season.”

Prestatyn Town 0
Airbus UK Broughton 2

Second half goals from Oli Lanceley and Adam Davies secured the win which put Airbus five points clear at the summit with a game in hand on second-place Llandudno.

Steve O’Shaughnessy’s side were made to fight hard by a determined Prestatyn outfit.

The Wingmakers’ closest call of the opening 20 minutes saw George Peers’ shot from the edge of the box saved well by Richard Cowderoy.

Ryan Edwards was in on goal in the 24th minute, but Cowderoy made a tremendous stop.

Half-time arrived goalless, but into the second period Airbus continued to dominate.

Their perseverance paid off in the 50th minute when a fine cross from Beau Cornish was headed in by an unmarked Lanceley.

Seb Kidd nearly levelled from a flying header that just missed the left post.

In the 77th minute the points were sealed when Peers broke down the left and found Adam Davies, who slotted home unmarked for his 30th of the season.

Buckley Town 1
Llandudno 2

Buckley (red and white) threaten late on. Picture: TREVOR JONES – BTFC

Marc Williams volleyed home an 88th minute winner for Llandudno in a difficult contest at The Globe.

Buckley took the lead through an Asa Hamilton penalty, given for a foul on Connor Littler.

Marc Williams equalised before half time when he chested the ball down and finished well following good play from Toby Jones.

In the second period, Tudno pressed hard for a second, but for a long time the heroics of home keeper Cameron Darling threatened to foil them.

Two magnificent Darling saves to deny Marc Williams were among the highlights, but that late strike from the ex-Wrexham front man proved decisive, Harrison Webb key in the build-up.

Buckley will feel hard done to, especially as they struck the crossbar late on themselves.

Colwyn Bay 3
Guilsfield 1

Bay ended a four-match losing run with a home victory over Guilsfield to move back to within three points of the top three.

James Kirby put them in front after 20 minutes with his 20th goal of the campaign, but Steve Blenkinsop equalised for the visitors on 42.

The Seagulls secured victory in the last 15 minutes with Kieran Evans putting them back in front on 75 and Sam Jones added an excellent third after 88.

Gresford Athletic 1
Ruthin Town 0

Gresford ended a run of five league games without a win with three welcome points against Ruthin at Clappers Lane.

Playing the first match at their long-time home since December, Athletic clinched the win with Rhys Lloyd’s 82nd minute strike.

In what was a brilliant all-round display, another positive for the club was that three Gresford Athletic Reserves players were involved in the first team.

Lloyd scored the winner from a set-piece with eight minutes to go.

Ruthin went close to equalising soon after the goal, smashing the crossbar from close-range.

Robbie Williams also made an unbelievable save late on in his return to the starting XI to ensure the win for Gresford.

Midfielder Cavan Daley was named man of the match for the Colliers on his first team debut.

Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant 0
Penrhyncoch 3

Former Welsh Premier star Geoff Kellaway proved he is pretty useful at Cymru North level too with a hat-trick in this clash in Powys.

The 35-year-old winger struck on three, 43 and 48 minutes, the latter goal a penalty.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: