North Wales Coast East – Rhyl All Stars end on high, Division One title race hots up, drama as Prestatyn Sports salvage late draw

Joe Smith’s double helped Rhyl All Stars end their season on a high




Rhyl All Stars 4 Henllan 1

Without a league win in seven months since beating Y Glannau 5-1 last August, All Stars ended their campaign on a welcome high note.

Robert Cunnah’s side had lost their last 10 games in all competitions and not managed a victory in 15 outings since whipping Holyhead Town 11-1 in the NWCFA Junior Challenge Cup.

They had failed to win in the league in 15 matches, but it all came good on Saturday.

A delighted Cunnah said: “After a long spell without a win this was just what the greens needed to finish the season on a high.”

Around the 20-minute mark the greens nearly scored after a goal-line scramble which saw the ball cleared off the line twice.

In the 34th minute there was another goalmouth melee, but this time the result was top goalscorer Joe Smith finding the net through the assist of Michael Bellis.

Liam Curzon made a brilliant save to keep the All Stars ahead at the break.

There were no further goals until the 73rd minute when Henllan had a nasty shock in store for the hosts, Robert Lawson sending a brilliant strike into the top corner from 18 yards.

Was Rhyl All Stars’ day going to be spoiled? The answer was an emphatic no.

In the 77th minute, home player Jack Heath was taken down just outside the penalty area.

Will Smith stood over the ball and rifled it into the back of the net, sending the greens back into the lead.

Then in the 81st minute Joe Smith played a ball down the left which put Heath in behind again. This time Heath was able to calmly slot the ball into the bottom right corner.

It was all over when Joe Smith slotted home his second and 15th goal of the season. Victory at last for the third-from-bottom Rhyl side!

Manager Cunnah added: “We’d had a tough run of not picking up points for a while, the lads knew we needed to end the season on a high and have done just that. Can’t give enough credit to the lads, they have come so close in some games this season but come up just short and today they played a fantastic game.

“We know what we are capable of on our day and today was definitely our day. All credit to Henllan, they have played excellent recently and taken some tough sides all the way.”

Abergele 6 CPD Caer Clwyd 3

Abergele (stripes) and Caer Clwyd do battle

Abergele hit top spot in Division One with Saturday’s win – the question now is can they stay there?

Unbeaten in 22 league outings, Gele saw off Caer Clwyd thanks to goals from Dominic Holland (2), Jack Hoult (2), Ryan Roberts and Greg Hilditch, Craig Lavery (pen), David Clayton and Keiran Kendrick replying.

It was another massive three points for the Dinorben Field outfit, who have just two more games left.

They are now top of the table for the first time since the season began.

Saturday was a windy day which made things difficult for both teams in either half, but Gele managed to capitalise early on and get 4-0 up at half time with the elements advantage.

The away side managed to grab three goals in the second half, never giving up to their credit, but Gele found the net twice themselves to seal the vital three points.

With each team playing 26 matches, Abergele are on 59 points from 24, Llandudno Amateurs, who have completed their programme, have 58, Cerrigydrudion lie third with 56 from 24 and Llayelwy Athletic have 54 from 23. Cerrig are due to host Llanelwy this Saturday.

Gele’s final two league games are Henllan (home) and Llanelwy (away) on dates to be confirmed in April.

Llysfaen 12 Betws-y-Coed 3

Goal machines Llysfaen hit a dozen against Betws a week after banging in 10 at Penrhyn Bay.

Connor Morris (4), Brandon Luffman (4) Nathan Russell (2), Jake Twist and Callum Ellis shared the goals for the fifth-place side, Luke Snape (2, 1 pen) and Shaun Davies replying.

NFA 0 Llanelwy Athletic 5

Goalscorers Matthew Lewis (2), Steve Kirk, Mike Chapman and Matthew Pleavin combined to keep Llanelwy in the title picture.



Rhuddlan Town 3 (Rees 5 & 20 pens; Potts 18)
Prestatyn Sports 3 (Herd 8, Wickerson 61, Brady 90+6)

An equaliser deep into stoppage time by Paul Brady saved leaders Sports from a damaging defeat at Rhuddlan.

John Hargreaves and Sion Williams’ side remain four points clear the summit, but second-placed Rhyl 1879 have four games in hand on the table-toppers.

Rhuddlan, down in 10th spot, went into Saturday’s game at Pengwern with 16 players unavailable and had just the bare 11 and two substitutes on call.

Town started well and a handball in the area enabled Matty Rees to make it 1-0 from the resultant penalty.

Sports soon levelled through Sam Herd, but in the 18th minute a well-taken goal from Ryan Potts made it 2-1 to Rhuddlan.

Another Rees spot-kick put the hosts further ahead and come the interval it was 3-1.

Some great saves from new keeper Gavin Lewis and top-class defending by Josh Parry kept Sports at bay until the hour mark.

However, in the 61st minute Tom Wickerson made it 3-2 from a corner.

Rhuddlan thought they had gone 4-2 up, only for offside to be called.

Prestatyn also felt hard done by with an effort that looked to have crossed the line, but no goal was given,

Into added time and Rhuddlan keeper Lewis had to come off injured to be replaced by Wayne Hughes.

Sports were kept out until Brady grabbed that late, late equaliser.

Mochdre Sports 1 CPD Y Rhyl 1879 2

Two goals from the striker with the Midas touch, Kieran Evans, turned a 1-0 deficit into a 2-1 win for Rhyl 1879 at difficult opponents Mochdre Sports.

Gareth Thomas’ side made it 16 unbeaten in the league and are just four points behind leaders Prestatyn Sports with four games in hand.

A first half of few opportunities at Mochdre ended 0-0.

The game really came to life in the second half when in the 50th minute Sports keeper Nic Bould’s clearance from his own penalty area caught the wind and looped in over the head of opposite number Ryan Roberts.

Rhyl levelled on 60 minutes when Macauley Taylor delivered a pinpoint cross for Ellis to score with a bullet header.

Five minutes from time, Ellis found the net again, bundling the ball over the line from close range to clinch the three points.

Meliden 2 Penmaenmawr Phoenix 4

Shaheen Ahmed (stripes) of Penmaenmawr takes on Meliden’s James Cairns. Picture: RAY HIBBS

Ben Hughes struck twice as Phoenix took maximum reward from The Mine.

Hughes netted on 18 and 70 minutes, while Tom Prince and Alfie Caldecott also made the scoresheet for Martyn Jones’ side, James Cairns and Matthew Griffiths replying.

Glan Conwy 5 CPD Llansannan 1

Charlie Jones handed Glan an 11th minute lead but Gwion Bibby equalised just before the break.

It was all the home side in the second half, Jamie Jones, Keating Hoe-Pike, Conor Davies and an Issac Rasell-Edwards own goal wrapping up a convincing win.

Kinmel Bay 0 Llandyrnog United 1

Jimmy McNally’s Llandyrnog celebrated a hard-fought win against a very hard-working and spirited Kinmel side.

In a game that could have gone either way, it was a David Lawson Cooke free-kick on 67 minutes that separated the teams at Y Morfa.

Llandudno Junction 0 Llanfairfechan Town 0

Goalless at the Flyover Ground where bottom side Llanfairfechan collected a welcome point.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: