Flashback – 10 years ago: Porthmadog survive late setbacks to take three points

Porthmadog’s Steve Kehoe passes to Iwan Williams. Picture: DOROTHY WILLIAMS


Caersws 2 (Neil Mitchell 55 & 84)
CPD Porthmadog 3 (Darren Thomas 23 & 51, Iwan Williams 59)

Report: http://www.porthmadogfc.com

Ten years ago today Porthmadog survived a late goalkeeper injury, a sending off and eight minutes of added time to take maximum points in Powys.

Caersws were first to threaten after three minutes when visiting defender Ryan Davies had to clear a shot from the edge of the box off his line.

Port responded with Graham Boylan heading a good Darren Thomas cross narrowly off target.

Despite the attacking play of both sides the first goal did not come until the 22nd minute when Port edged in front.

Thomas fastened on to Iwan Williams’ angled ball from midfield, then cut inside from the left and unleashed a powerful shot from 16 yards to beat home keeper David Jones.

Caersws responded with some dangerous attacks down the right. A right wing corner by Jack Hughes bounced to safety off the crossbar.

As half time drew near it took an excellent Jones save to deny Phil Williams as he met Thomas’ corner with a glancing header at the near post.

Half time was reached with Port ahead by a single goal.

With only six second half minutes gone the visitors were two up.

Following a good break down the right. Steve Kehoe played an accurate ball towards the back post where Thomas raced in, took one touch and finished off with a header, beating Jones from close range.

Iwan Williams on the ball for Port. PHOTO: DOROTHY WILLIAMS

The two-goal advantage proved short lived as four minutes later Mark Griffiths raced down the right to the byline and drove a low cross to the near post where Neil Mitchell burst in to get a final touch and make the score 2-1.

The goal rush was not over as just before the hour, the ball was played wide to Boylan, whose cross was converted by Iwan Williams.

Just as Port appeared to have things under control, on 78 minutes goalkeeper Richard Harvey was forced to leave the pitch with a dislocated finger.

With no sub keeper on the bench, striker Boylan went into goal and six minutes later he was beaten at his near post when Mitchell nodded home Jack Hughes’ accurate cross.

A nerve-racking finale followed for Port as things got even more difficult when Iwan Williams received his marching orders for a second yellow card.

Caersws, sensing a share of the points, pushed forward as the Port defence protected their sub keeper.
In the event he only had a couple of saves to make but it was a nail-biting finish as referee Martin Williams found eight minutes of added time, but Port held out for a deserved three points.


Richard Harvey (Mark Jones 78), Gruff J Williams, Chris Williams, Steve Kehoe, Ryan Davies, Grahame Austin, Craig Roberts, Phil Williams, Graham Boylan, Iwan Williams, Darren Thomas. Subs not used: Ryan Connolly, Arran Richmond, Mike Foster.


David Jones, Geraint Lewis, Ian Edmonds, Gareth Sudlow (Tyrone McFadden 81), Scott Williams (Colin Reynolds 58), Graham Jones, Jack Hughes, Neil Mitchell, Graham
Evans, Mark Griffiths, Robert Evans. Sub not used: Drew Reynolds.

Attendance: 169.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: