NEWFA Challenge Cup quarter-finals – wins for Buckley Town and Queen’s Park

Ruben Lima struck twice for Buckley at Cefn Mawr Rangers (red). Picture: TREVOR JONES BTFC

North East Wales FA Challenge Cup quarter-finals reports – Saturday, January 8

Cefn Mawr Rangers 0
Buckley Town 6 (Littler 2, J Roberts 2, Lima 2)

Record nine-times cup winners Buckley Town stayed on course to make it 10 with a 6-0 away blitzing of Cefn Mawr Rangers to reach the semi-finals.

Cymru North visitors Bucks delivered as expected against their tier four North East Wales League opponents, an early goal settling any potential nerves.

Last winners of the NEWFA Cup in 2012-13, Town took a fourth-minute lead courtesy of Connor Littler.

The advantage was doubled on 15 minutes when Jake Roberts’ low left-footed shot found the bottom corner.

Rangers had the ball in the net soon after but the goal was ruled out for a foul on Dylan Roberts.

Buckley made it three on the 39th minute when Littler’s cross from the right was finished off by Ruben Lima.

Connor Littler delivered a double for Buckley. Picture: TREVOR JONES BTFC

Littler was in fine form, and nine minutes into the second half he collected his second goal via a brilliant curling effort into the top corner.

Jake Roberts added a fifth with a header from a corner by substitute Joe Trueman.

Before the end, Lima completed a double with a clinical finish.


Cefn Mawr Rangers: Luke Gomm, Harry Jones, Matthew Onissiphorou, Harvey Williams, Harry Killick, Matthew Tombs, Perry Shoemark (Chris Roberts 67), Jacque Coates, Hari Gould, Leighton Jones (Matthew Jones 61), Harri Lucas-Jones (Aaron Roberts 56).

Buckley Town: Cameron Darling, Luke Douglas, Dylan Roberts, Josh Jones (Sam Wainwright 67), Josh Allen (Joe Trueman 55), Chris Roberts (Luke Blizard 72), Jake Roberts, Scott McHarrie, Ruben Lima, Connor Littler, Aled Bellis.

FC Queen’s Park 2 (Torrence 2)
Saltney Town 1 (Booth)

Barry Torrence bagged both for Queen’s Park

A giant-killing of sorts at The Dunks saw tier 4 side the Park knock third tier Ardal North West outfit Saltney out of the NEWFA Cup.

Town made major headlines when becoming the only T3 team to make the Welsh Cup last 16 this season, but on this occasion they were turned over by the underdogs.

Tommy Booth missed a golden early opportunity for the Bordermen before in just the seventh minute Barry Torrence edged the hosts in front, despite calls for offside from the visitors.

The tie was level on 26 minutes, Ryan McCleary’s perfect pass picking out Booth, who made no mistake second time around.

Callum Williams and Torrence went close for the Park before Saltney’s Tom Rowlands was denied by a great stop from Joey Jones, and Jordan O’Brien’s attempt from the rebound was cleared off the line.

It was nip-and-tuck in the second half before Torrence provided the winner eight minutes from time.

Jack Roberts fluffed a gilt-edged late opportunity to equalise.


Queen’s Park: Joey Jones, Callum Roberts, Adam Roberts, Curtis Neary, Charlie Rowley (Dan McGinnis), Nathan Brookfield, Callum Williams, Tony Jones, Barry Torrence, Leroy Ngema-Stamp, Jake Harper (R Griffiths 76).

Saltney Town: Jake Cooke, Lee Butterworth, Shaun Tinsley, Jordan O’Brien, Jack Roberts, Ben Jones (Ryan Cunliffe 79), Tommy Booth (Jake Gibbons 79), Ben Evans, Sam Spridgeon (Scott Beach), Ryan McCleary, Tom Rowlands.


Chirk AAA v Chirk Town

Mold Alexandra v Ruthin Town

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: