Flashback – 10 years ago: Three huge points for Porthmadog on a windy day at Llandudno

Porthmadog’s goalkeeper Richard Harvey makes a save. Picture: GWYN ELLIS

Llandudno 1 (Fields 48)
Porthmadog 2 (R Roberts 32, Jones Evans 40)
Huws Gray Alliance – Monday, January 2, 2012

Ten years ago today Porthmadog took maximum points at Maesdu Park to maintain the pressure on Cymru Alliance leaders Connah’s Quay.

Having dominated the opening half and scoring twice, Port were then made to fight all the way in the second period.

Llandudno cut the deficit straight after the interval and used their considerable experience of the tricky wind to good effect.

The hosts launched a spirited second half fightback which had travelling supporters on tenterhooks until the final whistle.

The last half hour was a 10 versus 10 contest as Llandudno’s Joe Morgan, in the first stanza, and Ryan Davies of Port in the second, both received their marching orders.

Port, with the wind in their favour, controlled the first 45 minutes.

Early chances included Rhys Roberts’ flick sending Marcus Orlik racing down the right, but he fired into the side-netting.

Rhys Roberts, a constant threat to the Llandudno defence, met Clive Williams’ free kick, but directed his header narrowly wide.

Tudno were penned back into their own half for long spells but did manage a few threatening breaks.

From one of these, Morgan fired wide after good work down the left.

Richard Harvey made his only save of the half when he raced out to deny Dean Seager.

Port’s first goal came just after the half hour when Chris Williams broke from midfield and struck a powerful shot from 25 yards which keeper Andy Rooney saved at full length but could not prevent Rhys Roberts scoring via the rebound from close range.

An off-the-ball incident between Morgan and Ryan Davies was then noted by linesman Kevin Lewis. As a result referee Martin Roberts showed Morgan a straight red card and Davies a yellow.

Gareth Jones Evans (right – light blue) scored Porthmadog’s second at Maesdu Park. Picture: GWYN ELLIS

Llandudno were further punished two minutes later when Gareth Jones Evans’ firmly driven 18-yard effort was deflected past Rooney high into the net.

Half-time: Llandudno 0 Porthmadog 2

Port went from being two goals ahead and looking comfortable to having their advantage cut only three minutes into the second half.

Kevin Fields met Lee Jones’ right wing corner, heading in at the back post.

The Seasiders made full use of the strong wind to cause panic in the Port defence and Harvey was glad to touch a well-struck long distance effort by Lee Jones over his bar.

The mounting panic was further reflected by Harvey’s rush out of his area to bring down the advancing Lee Thomas and receive a yellow card for his trouble.

Then on the hour Ryan Davies was shown a second yellow card and given his marching orders.

This was a signal for another melee which resulted in yellows for Seager (Llandudno) and Williams (Port). Seager did find the net at this stage but was ruled offside.

The best Port move resulted in a shooting opportunity for Orlik, but he was foiled by a good Rooney save.

Visiting sub Jamie McDaid also blasted a powerful shot narrowly over the bar.

With time running out, Harvey was again in action, saving a low shot from Seager and a Tim Brandreth header.


Llandudno: Andy Rooney, Lee Jones, Sean Eardley, Tim Brandreth, Paul Roberts (J Williamson 90), Kevin Fields, Tom Dix, Darren Gowans (Bryan Roberts 79) Dean Seager, Joe Morgan, Lee Thomas.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Clive Williams, Chris Williams, Ryan Davies, Grahame Austin, Gareth Jones Evans, Craig Roberts, Aran Richmond (Iwan Williams 83), Rhys Roberts, Marcus Orlik (Mark Jones 89), Darren Thomas (Jamie McDaid 75).

Attendance: 167

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: