Flashback – 20 years ago today Bangor City’s Owain Tudur Jones sank the Lido

Owain Tudur Jones in action for Wales. Picture: FAW

Bangor City 1 (Owain Tudur Jones 70)
Afan Lido 0
League of Wales – December 29, 2001

Report: Mike Smith, Citizens Choice website

Twenty years ago today future Football League and Wales midfielder Owain Tudur Jones was Bangor City’s match-winner at home to Afan Lido.

Jones, who is now 37 and a well-known face on S4C, was at the end of 2001 a 17-year-old prospect with dreams of becoming a professional star.

On December 29, 2001, City overcame a difficult and wholly negative opposition to secure the points thanks to a headed goal from the teenager.

Mike The Groundsman had worked hard to ensure the match went ahead, but he could not dry out a wet pitch or smooth away all the bumps and lumps.

Nevertheless 600 turned up thanks to his efforts. With a low sun behind the Farrar End, City chose to attack the St Paul’s!

From the kick-off Bangor might have gone in front had Kenny Burgess managed to control the ball on the edge of the box as he ran in on goal, but unfortunately keeper Brian Thomas was able to gather.

Then on five minutes Simon Davies hesitated when set up by a right wing cross from Paul Roberts. A rare Lido attack saw Phil Priestley collect comfortably from a Greg Hurley drive.

On the quarter hour a corner from the right was attacked by Sean Hazelden, whose flick found Burgess unmarked but he headed over from five yards.

Next a series of chances created by a sublime left wing pass by Davies which found Marc Lloyd Williams, who in turn crossed to win a corner. The Llanberis marksman himself then hit the crossbar before big Hazelden had a header slapped clear.

At the other end James Taylor stopped his barrage of spite to head on goal but Priestley saved.

Huw Griffiths then headed on target, but again Thomas saved before a truly horrible miss-kick from Priestley luckily rolled back to him with Taylor lurking.

On the half hour yet another corner from the right was flicked on by Griffiths but Hazelden found the top of the net.

Half-time: 0-0

With the sun having gone down, defending the St Paul’s End was a bit less troublesome, but unhappily for Brian Thomas the City fans had followed him to the Farrar End!

Davies raced into the Lido box but his shot was blocked to a chorus of “handball” from the High Street side.

In a melee which followed a corner half a dozen blue shirts might have converted before the ball was hacked clear.

Finally, on 70 minutes, the breakthrough.

A Davies free kick on the right was met by the unmarked Owain Tudur Jones whose firm header left Thomas helpless.

Davies had now regained his focus and fired a superb left wing pass out to Burgess. His cross was met by Paul Roberts whose effort was blocked before Afan Lido rushed upfield and Taylor screwed his shot wide.

With minutes remaining Clayton Blackmore found Griffiths whose header picked out Lloyd Williams, but his close range shot was deflected over. Roberts shot straight at Thomas from five yards after good work from Davies and Burgess.

In the final minutes Aled Rowlands was replaced by Richard Owen before Priestley was tested by a deflected 25 yard effort.

However, having played for most of the game with only one man upfront Lido could have few complaints and City were deserved winners.

Bangor: Phil Priestley, Owain Tudur Jones, Chris Short, Aled Rowlands, Sean Hazelden, Huw Griffiths, Marc Lloyd Williams, Clayton Blackmore, Paul Roberts, Simon Davies, Kenny Burgess. Subs: Aled Jones, Paul Sellers, Ritchie Owen.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: