Flashback – 10 years ago: the last-ever game at Farrar Road

10 years ago today it was farewell to Farrar Road

Bangor City 5 (Davies 2, Edwards 19, Morley 60 & 71, Garside 63)
Prestatyn Town 3 (Gibson 26, Stephens pen 66, Parker 76)
Welsh Premier League – December 27, 2011

Hard to believe it is a whole 10 years ago today that Bangor City said farewell to Farrar Road.

The Citizens rounded off 91 years of football at the historic stadium in style with a 5-3 win over Prestatyn Town.

The opening goal came inside two minutes. A second Sion Edwards corner bewildered Town keeper Dave Roberts, captain Jamie Brewerton headed on and Les Davies rose above the visiting custodian to head in from close range.

In the 19th minute it was 2-0 after Edwards took advantage of Chris Davies’ slip to fire through the legs of the keeper and into the net.

Town hit back on 26 minutes when Neil Gibson played a neat one-two with Dan Evans before jinking his way through the home defence and applying a composed finish in the box.

Just before the break Steve Rogers so nearly marked his 300th WP appearance with a goal but City keeper Lee Idzi saved bravely at his feet.

Half-time: Bangor City 2 Prestatyn Town 1

Bangor began the second half strongly and on the hour made it 3-1 when Dave Morley beat Roberts all ends up with a magnificent 25-yard rocket.

Three minutes later the all-blues struck again when Chris Jones’ low cross from the right was finished off by Craig Garside from close range.

The Seasiders responded in the 66th minute when Brewerton was adjudged to have handled a cross into the box. The defender was yellow-carded despite vehement protests that the ball struck his chest and Ross Stephens scored from the spot.

The goals continued to flow as in the 71st minute a Chris Jones free kick into the box led to Morley showing some neat footwork before making it 5-2.

Michael Parker notched Prestatyn’s third after 76 to make it five goals in a 16-minute spell.

And that was to be the final competitive goal scored at Farrar Road.

The win put City top of the Welsh Premier but they finished the season as runners-up.

What a sad day for North Wales football this was as Farrar Road staged its last game before the bulldozers rolled in to make way for a supermarket.

Bangor: Lee Idzi, Peter Hoy, Chris Roberts, Dave Morley (Sean Pejic 89), James Brewerton, Michael Johnston, Chris Jones, Craig Garside (Mark Smyth 79), Les Davies, Kyle Wilson, Sion Edwards (Alan Bull 79).

Prestatyn: Dave Roberts, Chris Davies, Martin Beattie, Dave Hayes, Paul O’Neill, Mike Parker, Neil Gibson, Jon Fisher-Cooke (Carl Murray 64), Steve Rogers, Dan Evans (Darren Hughes 77), Ross Stephens.

Attendance: 2,593.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: