North Wales match of the day – Mold Alex beat Denbigh Town in Ardal North West crunch clash

Good start: Denbigh’s Jake Walker (red) heads his team in front, but Mold recovered to win 4-1. Pictures: ROY GUNTHER/STEPHEN WHITFIELD



Mold Alexandra 4 (Watkins 34, Warren 57 pen & 62, Ormrod 69)

Denbigh Town 1 (Walker 30)

Report: Iwan Jones

The clash of the season so far in tier 3 Ardal North West saw Mold hit top spot with a 4-1 thrashing of rivals Denbigh at Alyn Park.

Both teams had lost just the once this term before start of play, the pair having drawn 1-1 in the reverse fixture at Central Park back in September.

After an even first half today when the teams went in 1-1 at the break, the Alex took command of the second period, scoring three goals within 15 minutes to dampen Denbigh’s league title hopes at the halfway stage of the season.

Town started the game with the starting 11 which had beaten Llanuwchllyn 1-0 a week ago. Skipper Mark Roberts continues to recover from a broken bone in his foot with midfield ace Keiron Roberts not yet ready from his leg injury.

The visitors tarted the brighter, Jacob Barratt in the thick of the action early on forcing a comfortable save from Elliot Quinlan after a great lay-off by Paul Fleming.

Barratt was then set up by Sam Jones, laying off a ball for the youngster whose shot went just wide.

The busy Barratt was then fouled just outside Mold’s penalty area and Jake Walker stepped up to shoot low just wide of the target.

Sion Jones received the ball after some fine work from Kristian Pierce and sent in a great cross only for Sam Jones’ volley to fly just over Quinlan’s bar.

Minutes later Mike Sharples was at the far post to be on the end of a Barratt free kick, but his header was smothered by Quinlan.

It was from a Barratt corner on 31 minutes that Denbigh took the lead with Walker getting his head to the cross from six yards and heading home.

However, this goal spurred Mold into action, and they won a corner from which a header hit Denbigh’s crossbar and Pierce cleared for another flag-kick.

From the second corner Danny Warren delivered into Denbigh’s six-yard box and Steve Watkins headed in from close range despite protests from Town that keeper Joe Griffith had been fouled.

Alex had a chance to take the lead just on half time when a crossfield ball from Dominic Doherty to Joe Ormrod near the Town penalty area was intercepted with great timing from Sion Jones to deter his opponent having a one-on-one chance against keeper Griffith.

Half-time: 1-1

Mold (blue) defend as Town’s Jacob Barratt hits a shot. Pictures: STEPHEN WHITFIELD/ROY GUNTHER

Despite an encouraging start Denbigh had allowed Mold to come into the game and they were to rue the chances they had missed.

On 56 minutes came a controversial moment. With Mold’s Ormrod breaking down the left to the Denbigh byline, the attacker sent a low cross which hit Town’s Sharples from close range.

Referee Karl Berry deemed the ball had struck Sharples’ arm and pointed to the spot despite lengthy protests from Denbigh’s players. Warren sent Griffith the wrong way and Mold had a 2-1 lead.

In the 62nd minute, Warren’s inswinging corner sailed over everyone’s head and into the net direct to bring the kicker a 29th goal of the season and provide Mold with a 3-1 lead.

Denbigh continued to battle but with 70 minutes played Mold grabbed their fourth, the best of the afternoon with Doherty playing in Ormrod to fire in a shot giving Griffith no chance.

Mold Alex
Elliot Quinlan, Matthew Lewis, Steve Watkins, Ryan Coney, Dominic Doherty, Daniel Warren, Joe Ormrod, Alexander Smith, Ellis Hickey, Dafydd Griffith, Rhys Nash. Subs: Guto Hughes, Thomas Edwards, Paul Lindfield, Henry Carver, Conner Kendrick

Denbigh Town

Joe Griffith, Sion Jones, Will Ashley, Mike Sharples, Billy Holmes, Paul Fleming, Matty Morris, Kristian Pierce, Sam Jones, Jake Walker, Jacob Barratt: Subs: Moses Barnett, Liam Roberts, Lee Davey, Sam Tate, Owain Roberts.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: