North East Wales League – Greenfield end Chirk Town’s unbeaten record

Greenfield FC’s Bernie Williams Memorial Ground. Picture: CLINT JONES, THE 94TH MINUTE


Premier Division

Greenfield ended the long unbeaten run of Premier Division leaders Chirk Town with an excellent 4-2 victory at the Bernie Williams Memorial Ground.

The Taverners, who ended up with nine men, lost for the first time in 15 starts and saw their lead at the summit cut to four points by the Holywell-area side, who also have a game in hand.

Chirk suffered an early blow when they had Jamie Roberts red-carded on 13 minutes.

Dean Hyland put the hosts one-up a minute later, but a Tristan Lloyd penalty just before the break made it all-square at the interval.

Aaron Davies edged 10-man Town in front four minutes into the second half, but Ryan Jones levelled just past the hour.

Davies was then shown a second yellow for the visitors, reducing them to nine.

Scott Beck’s second-placed Greenfield took command, Daniel Calvert and Connor Hughes netting on 73 and 85 minutes respectively to seal maximum points.

Hawarden Rangers swept aside Llangollen Town 5-1, Thomas Bridges (2), Joshua Edwards, Aaron North and Joshua Rimmer all netting in the first half for the hosts.

Jack Maybury’s late reply for Llangollen was no more than scant consolation.

Castell Alun Colts achieved a notable win when they defeated visitors FC Queen’s Park 1-0, Harry Brown with the all-important 52nd minute winner.

Postponed: Halkyn & Flint Mountain v New Brighton Villa – waterlogged.

Championship Division

In the battle of the bottom two, FC United of Wrexham came out on top 6-4 against Bellevue.

Daniel Roberts (3), Jordan Howell, Matthew Wareham and Liam Jones shared the winners’ total, Dylan Hughes, Brandon Griffiths, Adam Morgan and Jordan Wright netted for Bellevue – all in the second half.

Connah’s Quay Town lost for the first time in a 3-2 reverse at Ruabon Rovers.

Andrew Swarbrick, Shaun Valentine and Lee Price were on the mark for the hosts, Jake Leonard and John Coady responding.

Keneth Davies and Adam Artell notched the goals which earned Johnstown YFC a 2-1 verdict at Brymbo Lodge, Kieron Jones having brought the home side level midway through the second half. Artell nabbed an 86th minute clincher.

Railway Rovers and CPD Sychdyn shared a 3-3 split.

Liam Davies (2, 1 pen) and Samuel Giles put the Railway on track, but Morgan Hughes and Shane Wellings (2) made sure the visitors took a point.

Reserve Division

Hawarden Rangers Reserves are six points clear at the peak after a 2-1 verdict at Llangollen Town Reserves.

The visitors needed Luis Rowland’s 88th minute net-finder to bank the honours.

Thomas Coombes handed Hawarden a 40th minute lead before Joshua Pilgrim equalised on 64.

Llay Welfare Colts saw off Castell Alun Colts 3-0, Lewis Edwards (2) and Joshua Venables with the vital strikes.

Postponed: Coedpoeth United Reserves v FC Queen’s Park Reserves, CPD Caerwys Reserves v Cefn Mawr Rangers Reserves.

Mike Beech Memorial Trophy Group B

Ben Hughes was a hat-trick star in Penyffordd Lions’ 6-3 triumph at Overton Recreational.

Mark Roberts (2) and Owen Davies chalked up the rest for the away side, Jay Smith, Mark Matthews and Oliver Nelson replying.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: