North Wales Coast Reserve Division – Phoenix extend lead, but Nefyn worthy of a point

Penmaenmawr and Nefyn players observed a minute silence before the game in honour of the late Gary Speed, who passed away 10 years last weekend


Penmaenmawr Phoenix Reserves 1 (Joe Williams 71)
Nefyn United Reserves 1 (Guto Roberts 11)

With Penmaenmawr having not played in league or cup in six weeks and Nefyn without a game in seven, both were glad to get back out on the park on Sunday.

When these sides met back in September, it was a very open contest which finished 5-3 to Pen.

However, in the return, with neither having been in action for so long, the teams did not know what to expect from each other.

Phoenix went close early on a couple of occasions with veteran/chairman of the club Peter Williams leading the line and causing havoc for Nefyn’s defence.

Once the Penwaig settled down they began to play better football with their full backs making some great runs and causing Pen problems.

United’s bright start paid off in the 11th minute when they won a free kick on the halfway line. A long ball into the box found the unmarked Guto Roberts, who made no mistake with a bullet header to send the visitors into the lead.

Nefyn continued to press but the home side were growing into the game.

Phoenix regrouped at the break and came back out looking like a different team, dominating possession and playing some eye-catching football.

After a sustained period of pressure, Joe Williams found himself unmarked at the back post and when the ball dropped at his feet he finished neatly in the 71st minute.

Phoenix continued to push looking for a late winner, but Nefyn’s keeper Gruff Roberts produced a couple of fine saves.

Pen manager Aaron Keating said: “It was a game of two halves from two very honest teams, the draw was probably fair in the end. Good luck to Nefyn for the rest of the season.”

Phoenix extended their lead at the top to seven points, but all the other teams have played less games. Nefyn sit handy in third.

Bontnewydd Reserves 2
Llanrug United Reserves 2

All-square in this Caernarfon-area derby after Morgan Williams equalised for Llanrug seven minutes into added time.

Alex Lynes put the visitors in front through a 35th minute penalty, but Nathan Jones levelled just before the break.

Bont thought they had clinched it when Ianto ap Rhun made it 2-1 in the 86th minute.

The home side’s Owen Chidley was sent off for a second yellow in the 90th minute, but Bont looked like they might hold on until Williams’ late, late show.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: