JD Cymru North – 39 goals across eight games on a thrilling weekend for Tier 2 league

Jake Cooke (No 2) heads home for Holywell. Another magnificent action shot from LEE PAUL DOUGLAS


Holywell Town 5 (Z Edwards, Buckley, Cooke 2, Forbes)
Penrhyncoch 0

Report: Steve Roberts

One of the in-form teams of the Cymru North is undoubtedly Holywell.

Johnny Haseldin’s men made it four league wins on the bounce at the weekend by going nap against visitors Penrhyncoch.

The match was only a couple of minutes old when Town should have taken the lead. Ollie Buckley was put through on goal but his shot went wide of keeper Leigh Jenkins’ right-hand post.

Jake Cooke was then denied by Jenkins, who also did well to deal with pressure from the resulting corner before foiling Ilan ap Gareth with another good stop.

The hosts took a deserved lead on 13 minutes. A corner saw the ball lofted into the box and Zebb Edwards fired home.

One for the mantlepiece Zebb Edwards can share with the family for years to come. Picture: LEE PAUL DOUGLAS

Town went two-up on 20 minutes. A good shot by Danny Andrews was parried by Jenkins and Buckley tapped in the rebound.

The Wellmen were on fire. Another corner from the right found Cooke, whose header flew into the net.
Penrhyn had a good spell after the third goal.

Vastly experienced Geoff Kellaway’s shot was blocked and looped over the bar.

Cledan Davies and Steffan Gittins linked well, but James Graham was on hand to block the latter’s effort.

Then a minute later, Cooke stopped Kellaway’s goalbound attempt on the line before the ball was cleared.

Half-time: 3-0.

Three became four soon after the break when Cooke got his second of the game. Another great corner in by Ilan ap Gareth was nodded in by the busy Cooke.

The Wellmen grabbed a fifth midway through the half. Dave Forbes burst through midfield, his shot hit a Penrhyncoch’s Shon James and ended up in the net.

Keighan Jones ensured a clean sheet with a magnificent save from Josh Shaw.

The visitors were reduced to 10 men with 15 minutes to go when Gittins was sent off.

A few minutes later, the sides were even after Myles Hart was shown a harsh red card for what was deemed a bad challenge.

Airbus UK Broughton 2
Guilsfield 2

Report: Matthew Baldwin

Airbus can move five points clear at the summit if they win at Llangefni Town on Friday.

The Wingmakers looked to be on their way to another victory last Saturday before unbeaten Guilsfield struck late to earn a draw.

In a fiery top of the table clash at the Hollingsworth Group Stadium, George Peers and Oli Lanceley’s goals were not enough as a Greg Draper brace made sure Steve O’Shaughnessy’s men recorded a first draw of the campaign.

The Guils were down to 10 following an early red in the second half shown to Andrew Ford.

With starting keeper Michael Jones also forced off mid-way through the first period, the Powys powerhouses still managed to protect a now 13-match undefeated streak.

After visiting keeper Jones produced a couple of great saves, the hosts went ahead on 28 minutes.

A fantastic cross from Simon Spender confused everyone in the box bar Peers, who broke the deadlock at the back post.

Following the goal, keeper Jones received treatment but was unable to continue. He was replaced between the sticks by Spencer Parrish, whilst Iwan Matthews came off the bench for Nathan Leonard’s men.

Lewis Dutton then brilliantly denied Draper in a one-on-one before keeping out a Jamie Hyne effort from distance.

Half-time: 1-0

Airbus started the second period strongly, Beau Cornish forcing a tremendous stop from Parrish.

In the 52nd minute, however, it was 2-0. Adam Davies found Lanceley free and the striker slotted home.

A straight red card was then shown to Guils man Ford, whose dangerous tackle on Davies left referee James Walker with no choice.

The chances kept coming for the Wingmakers, but the visitors stood firm, even being down to 10.

And Guils managed to get a goal back with 20 minutes to play. A long throw from Chris Cathrall bounced through the Wingmakers defence and found Draper free at the back post to slot home.
The Wingmakers nearly had the perfect response, Davies’ effort pinging off the crossbar.

Sub Jake Eyre’s shot was cleared off the line before Cornish was thwarted by Parrish.

Airbus should have had the game won, but in the 87th minute Draper broke unmarked and got his second for the visitors, ending Airbus’ 10-match winning streak in the league.

Bangor City 0
Colwyn Bay 3
Report: Colwyn Bay FC – with thanks

Bay made it three wins in a row with a 3-0 away victory against a Bangor City side which finished the game with nine men.

Bangor had five players booked in the first half alone, with Colwyn taking the lead with a 33rd minute Robbie Parry penalty after James Kirby had been bundled over in the area.

Kirby also had a shot well saved by home keeper Scott Reed and was narrowly wide with another effort.

In the second half the Bay quickly doubled their lead as Kristian Platt headed his first goal for the club from a corner, before Bangor had Eridion Dida sent off for a second yellow card following an awful tackle on Gwion Owen.

Owen had to go off, but after Kirby had had a shot well saved by the keeper, Bay’s top scorer made it seven goals in three games on 82 minutes as he latched onto a poor defensive pass to score his side’s third.

Bangor then had a second red card as Taylor Thain was sent off five minutes from the end.

Buckley Town 4
Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant 2

Jake Roberts (2), Connor Littler and Aled Bellis shared the goals in Buckley’s victory over Llanrhaeadr.

The visitors replied through Matty Williams, who gave his side a 23rd minute lead, and Chris Aitken.

Gresford Athletic 2
Llanidloes Town 2

All square at Clappers Lane, Joe Chaplin and Matthew Worrall on target for Gresford, Adam Worton and Dafydd Carruthers responding for the Daffs.

Llangefni Town 1
Llandudno 3

Captain Danny Hughes set Llandudno on their way to victory with a 22nd minute strike at Cae Bob Parry.

The 33-year-old midfielder struck in the 22nd minute for Sean Eardley’s men.

Jack Smith levelled for Llangefni just before the break to tee up a fascinating second half.

The visitors had the better staying power, Guto Williams striking in the 71st minute before Shaun Cavanagh added a third in injury time.

Prestatyn Town 5
Holyhead Hotspur 1

Hotspur manager Darren Garmey apologised to the club’s loyal supporters for a performance at Bastion Gardens he deemed unacceptable.

“This was tough to watch today and a performance that I feel deserves to be apologised for,” said Garmey after the game.

“We were second to every ball and looked way off the pace.

“There was no football played in the game; it was just men against boys and the scoreline reflects just that. We need to bounce back next week with 3 points and nothing else will do.”

Liam Morris handed Holyhead a ninth-minute lead, but Kyle Parle equalised on 20 and further home goals from Kai Wallis and Tom Rowlands made it 3-1 at half time.

Jamie Reed and a Rowlands penalty completed the second-half scoring.

Ruthin Town 6
Conwy Borough 1

A magnificent shot of Ruthin’s pitch kindly provided by the club

Six of the best were dished out by a very impressive Ruthin side at the Memorial Fields.

And in keeping with the amount of goals scored, Town lie a more than creditable sixth in the table.

Josh Jones and Matty Hill notched two apiece for the hosts, Jamie Cumming and Joe Sullivan also on the mark.

Cory Williams netted for Conwy on what was a real off-night for the Tangerines.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: