Ardal North West League – Saltney hit seven, Llanrwst stay firm for draw, Denbigh pile on the goals

Joyous Denbigh players celebrate a goal against Brymbo. Picture: ROY GUNTHER


Rhostyllen 4 Saltney Town 7

Ryan McCleary (right – No 10) scored three times for Saltney

Ryan McCleary hit a hat-trick as Saltney bounced back to winning ways after successive league defeats.

McCleary boosted his season’s total to 17 across all competitions in an 11-goal thriller at The Rec.

Rhostyllen started the better, Scott Swords breaking the deadlock on 18 minutes before an Adam Williams header deflected in off Sam Chesters to make it 2-0 after 28.

The Bordermen then turned things around dramatically to lead 3-2 at half time.

McCleary halved the deficit when he received a quick free kick, twisted and fired into the bottom corner.

Sean Kilgannon headed in a Shaun Tinsley flag-kick before a Ryan Dacey own goal put the visitors ahead.

Rhostyllen controlled the early part of the second half and on 57 minutes Tom Douglas made it 3-3.

The hosts were reduced to 10 men when Swords was red-carded for a bad tackle, resulting in a free kick which Ben Evans headed home.

McCleary added a fifth and completed his treble on 72 minutes after the home keeper fumbled a free-kick.

Tommy Booth then got on the scoresheet for Andy Dutton’s side before Cameron Thomas grabbed a consolation for the hosts.

In an end-to-end counter, Saltney produced the better finishing and ruthlessly punished Rhostyllen’s mistakes.

Mold Alexandra 1 Llanrwst United 1

Mold’s nine-match winning run was ended by a determined Llanrwst outfit which produced an heroic defensive performance to take a point at Alyn Park.

Alex dominated the first half, but came up against a solid Roosters rearguard.

Joe Ormrod was denied by a superb save from Gwydion Owen.

Early in the second half, the visitors took the lead against the run of play with their first shot on target.

Benn Lundstram’s effort was tame, but Sam Thomas was unable to prevent it finding the net.

Mold rallied and on 65 minutes the prolific Danny Warren equalised from the penalty spot.

The hosts pushed for a winner, but continued to be frustrated by stoic away defending, one attempt being cleared off the line.

Mold also appealed vigorously for a late penalty, but play was waved on.

Denbigh Town 8 Brymbo 1
Report: Gareth Jones

Denbigh Town’s Sam Tate (7) shoots for goal. Picture: ROY GUNTHER

Denbigh bounced back in style from last weekend’s drubbing at Llay Welfare with a composed and clinical display at Central Park against a young Brymbo side.

Manager Dewi Llion Jones made a number of changes to the team that lost its unbeaten league record six days earlier.

Defender Stuart Jones was out through suspension following his sending off at Llay, while Mo Barnett and Sam Jones dropped to the bench with Will Ashley filling the void at the back, Billy Holmes returning from suspension and Paul Fleming selected in the heart of midfield to partner Keiron Roberts.

The flying start the hosts aimed for almost happened inside three minutes.

Jacob Barratt unleashed a wicked curling effort that cannoned off the crossbar to safety.

Chances came and went in quick succession before on 20 minutes, the home side were finally in front, Mark Roberts calmly lobbing the keeper from 15 yards.

In the 24th minute Jake Walker stooped lowly at the near post to head a Sam Tate corner into the roof of the net from a tight angle.

More goals looked a cert, and on 34 minutes Mike Sharples played a superb through ball from the back to find Jacob Barratt, who with one touch rounded the keeper before calmly slotting home.

Two minutes later, Tate delightfully released Walker, who beat advancing keeper Matt Busby for 4-0.

Just before the break, it was five. Barratt chested the ball down after beating the offside trap before clinically dispatching his second of the night.

Brymbo caught the hosts napping when Nicky Chesters made it 5-1 before the interval.

In the second half, frustration got to the Brymbo players. On 53 minutes Josh Phillips was given his marching orders for an off the ball incident.

It took Denbigh until the 71st minute to open their second half account, Sam Jones turning his man just inside the Brymbo half, driving towards the edge of the penalty box before unselfishly finding Barratt, who needed no second invitation to grab his hat-trick.

Brymbo’s evening went from bad to worse when they were reduced to nine men after 73 minutes when Jordan Tipping was sent for an early bath for apparent dissent.

Two late goals from Sam Tate put the icing on the cake for the hosts. On 87 minutes, Tate’s shot flew in off the far post and the same player struck again with a low drive before the final whistle.

Denbigh Town
Joe Griffith, Sion Jones, Will Ashley (Moses Barnett 56), Mike Sharples, Billy Holmes, Keiron Roberts (Kristian Pierce 67), Paul Fleming (Lee Davey 67), Sam Tate, Mark Roberts, Jake Walker, Jacob Barratt.

Matthew Busby, Jordan Tipping, Nicky Chesters, Josh Sumner, John Rogers, Josh Phillips, Finley Dyer, Thomas Perrin, Alex Sheriff, Aled Powell, Mamadie Sheriff. Sub: Lee Phelan.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: