Nathaniel MG Cup: Great wins for Holywell and Nomads, Bala scrape through on penalties

The joy on the Holywell bench and among the supporters says it all. Picture: LEE PAUL DOUGLAS


Prestatyn Town 3 (Reed 26, Barratt 45+1, Baynes 70)
Holywell Town 4 (Buckley 8, Cooke 58, Z Edwards 76, Allshorn 77)

There have been some thrilling battles between Prestatyn and Holywell in recent years and the latest on Tuesday evening saw the Wellmen edge a seven-goal stormer to reach the Nathaniel MG Cup quarter-finals.

Holywell took an eighth-minute lead when ex-Prestatyn man Oliver Buckley controlled a great through ball and fired a low shot past home keeper James Coates.

A few minutes later, Buckley should have made it two, but drilled across the face of goal.

The Seasiders responded, Wellmen keeper Keighan Jones producing a good save to deny Charlie Mann.

The pressure inevitably paid off a few minutes later when Jones thwarted Jacob Wise, but the loose ball was scrambled home by Jamie Reed to level the scores.

Prestatyn now looked the more dangerous, Kai Wallis hitting the post and Wes Baynes forcing a good stop from Jones.

The home side went in front on the stroke of half time as Ben Barratt found the net.

Half-time: Prestatyn 2 Holywell 1

After the break Prestatyn remained on top, Dominic Elsey-McHugh’s free kick bringing the best out of Jones before Reed rattled the crossbar.

Holywell’s first chance of the half fell on 55 minutes, Jake Cooke’s lay-off finding Ilan ap Gareth, but his first time effort was palmed away for a corner.

Holywell on the attack. Picture: LEE PAUL DOUGLAS

Three minutes later, a great ball cross-field by Luke Edwards found Jake Cooke, who controlled neatly and slotted past the advancing Coates for 2-2.

Wallis was foiled by another super Jones save before the Prestatyn man was fortunate to stay on the pitch after a bad challenge on Allshorn.

Ben Heath’s home side regained their lead on 70, Baynes with a shot which took a wicked deflection and wrong-footed the keeper.

In the 76th minute it was 3-3. A good cross into the box by Ilan ap Gareth saw Cooke flick the ball on towards the far post and Zebb Edwards was there with a diving header to score against his former club.

Wellmen supporters in that corner of the ground had barely finished celebrating when a minute later, their team took the lead.

Straight from the kick off, a ball over the defence saw Ben Brierley win the battle for possession and square low across to the unmarked Allshorn who tapped home to edge the visitors in front.

In added time, Jones saved Reed’s header to ensure Johnny Haseldin’s lads prevailed in an epic tie.

Connah’s Quay Nomads 6 (Insall 3, Poole, Horan, Harrison)
Airbus UK Broughton 3 (Peers, Lanceley, Humphries)

After taking a three-goal lead, Nomads were pegged back to 3-3 only to kick on and run out deserved winners in the second half.

It was a welcome result for Andy Morrison’s Cymru Premier champions on the back of 1-0 league losses to Barry Town United and Bala Town.

Airbus lead tier 2 Cymru North and certainly arrived at Deeside Stadium determined to cause an upset.

Nomads got off to a flying start, Jamie Insall bulleting in a header from a Declan Poole cross.

Shortly after, Insall reacted quickest to a Paolo Mendes header across the six-yard box to make it 2-0 inside the first 10 minutes.

The hosts added a third in the 15th minute when Poole fired a powerful strike into the bottom-left after playing a lovely one-two with Jordan Davies.

Airbus rallied, with a cool finish from George Peers giving them hope.

Oliver Lanceley lashed in off the crossbar to reduce the deficit further and in the 32nd minute Callum Humphries headed in from a corner to level the tie.

Half-time: 3-3

Veteran defender George Horan coming on for Mendes after an hour paid dividends in the 69th minute.

Kris Owens delivered an inswinging corner, Horan left his marker and sweetly struck a controlled volley off the crossbar and into the back of the net.

In the 75th minute, a free kick deep in Nomads’ half was sent upfield by keeper Kai Calderbank-Park and the ball was reached first by Insall, who nodded home for his hat-trick 5-3.

The game was sealed in the 79th minute when Byron Harrison calmly lobbed keeper Lewis Dutton.

Bangor City 0
Bala Town 0 (Bala won 8-7 on pens)

Heartbreak for Bangor as Bala keeper Harri Lloyd produced two crucial penalty shoot-out saves to send the Cymru Premier team into the last eight.

The Cymru North hosts had held their higher-ranked opponents to 0-0 and spot-kicks stood 8-7 to Bala in sudden death when Daniel Mullarkey was denied by Lloyd.

Bangor had a chance to win it at 7-7 when Jack Walsh stepped up, but Lloyd kept his kick out.

The first two pens were also missed, Bala’s Chris Venables thwarted by Lewis Brass before City’s Giacomo Mello hit the post.

The match itself was pretty even with Bangor giving as good as they got.

Newtown 5
Caernarfon Town 0

A night to forget for Caernarfon as goals from Jamie Breese, Lifumpa Mwandwe, Nick Rushton, Arran Williams and Craig Williams sent Newtown coasting through.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: