North Wales Coast East League cup reports: Rhuddlan, Rhyl 1879, Glan Conwy and Meliden all triumph

Neil and Cheryl Haggas of the Virginia Inn are sponsoring Llanfairfechan Town’s new kit for the 2021/22 season



Llanfairfechan Town 3 (Hales 18, Dodd 27 & 57 pens)
Rhuddlan Town 5 (Scott 30, Davenport 52, 67 & 79, Jones OG 72)

An eight-goal thriller at The Rec saw visitors Rhuddlan progress to the next stage of the Cookson Cup.

Ian Davenport returned from a two-match suspension in style by scoring a hat-trick for the winning side.

Llanfairfechan made the better start and went ahead in the 18th minute through Cameron Hales.

In the 27th minute the hosts were awarded a penalty which Ryan Dodd put away for 2-0.

An injury to Jordan Taylor brought about the introduction of Matty Roberts and some switching around saw the visitors improve massively and finish the first half strongly.

A fine ball from Roberts found Marcus Scott, making a dynamic run from centre back, and he finished brilliantly to make it 2-1 at the break.

Seven minutes into the second half it was 2-2 when Davenport timed his run well and applied a neat finish under the keeper.

Not long after Llanfairfechan made it 3-2 with another Dodd penalty.

Rhuddlan now brought Ryan Potts on for Josh Parry and the substitute made a huge impact, causing the Llanfairfechan defenders problems.

Davenport scored his second goal on 67 minutes, finishing in a one-on-one with keeper Kyle Jones for 3-3.

In the 72nd minute, Matty Beach’s inswinging corner was dropped into his own net by Jones, making it 4-3.

With 10 minutes to go, Davenport completed his hat-trick to seal an away win.

CPD Llansannan 0
Meliden 3 (Stewart 27, Lloyd OG 44, Haddon 78)

Meliden made it three wins in a row with a deserved Cookson Cup triumph at Llansannan.

Home keeper Dafydd Evans produced a good early double save, palming out a Sion Brisbane shot before blocking Joe Newell’s effort from the rebound.

Meliden were forced into an early change when James Cairns had to leave the field with an ankle injury to be replaced by Tom Fletcher, who slotted in at right-back, pushing Joe Roberts up top.

While the visitors were getting used to the changes, Llansannan hit them on the attack and forced a string of amazing saves from Chris Wright.

The breakthrough came at the other end on 25 minutes when Scott Stewart out on the wing spotted Evans off his line and amazed everyone in the ground as his ambitious shot dropped over the head of the keeper to make it 1-0.

Both keepers made excellent saves before Llansannan defender Euros Lloyd intercepted the ball, but unfortunately rolled it past his own keeper to gift Meliden a 2-0 lead close to half time.

In a niggly second half, the home side tried to find a way back into the game, but could not get past an in-form Meliden defence and captain Wright.

The Miners made it 3-0 on 78 minutes with a cool low finish from Sam Haddon just outside the box.

In the next round, Meliden will visit CPD Y Rhyl 1879 at Belle Vue.

Llansannan: Dafydd Evans, Isaac Rasell-Edwards, Adam Gage, Gwion Bibby, Euros Lloyd, Tomos Hughes (C), Rhidian Edwards, Lewys Jones, Leon Gierke, Gwion Evans, Dafydd Aled Jones. Subs: Arwyn Lloyd, Ifan Batty, Gari Evans, Dafydd Ifan Jones, Dafydd Owen

Meliden: Chris Wright, Joe Roberts, Lewis Thompson, Aled Evans, Rhys Dowinton, Sion Brisbane, Gyorgy Szabo, Joe Newell, Sam Haddon, James Cairns, Scott Stewart. Subs: Tom Fletcher, Reece Chamberlain, Ewan Brisbane, Paul Welburn.

CPD Y Rhyl 2 (Faulkner 28, Fairhurst 77)
Kinmel Bay 1 (Taylor 49)

Defenders Casey Faulkner and captain Reece Fairhurst found the net to guide 1879 into the next round.

Rhyl midfielder Dan Sim went close to scoring in the early stages when he struck the base of the post with a low shot from the edge of the area.

On 28 minutes, the hosts took the lead when left-back Faulkner headed home a chipped cross from centre forward Macauley Taylor.

Four minutes later, Taylor rattled the post with a fierce shot.

Faulkner’s close-range diving header went just wide, meaning the sides went in at half-time with the hosts 1-0 up.

A minute into the second half the home side hit the post for a third time, on this occasion via a shot on the turn from centre back John Terry.

Three minutes later and a blistering counter-attack yielded an equaliser for the visitors as midfielder Euan Taylor stroked the ball home after Rhyl were caught sleeping at the back.

Rhyl searched for a goal to restore their lead as Taylor was again denied, this time by a great save from Kinmel Bay keeper Luke Wilmot.

The winner came via a free kick from the left on 77 minutes, as captain Fairhurst met Elliot Evans’ cross with a sweet low volley that arrowed into the bottom corner at the keeper’s near post.

Glan Conwy 5 CPD Bro Cernyw 4

Jordan Phillips’ hat-trick strike decided this nine-goal encounter at Cae Ffwt.

Phillips (3, 1 pen), Charlie Jones and Anthony Gustafson sealed a narrow home win, Rob Hughes, Harry Kirkham, Carwyn McFadden and Trystan Roberts running the visitors close.


CPD Caer Clwyd 2 (David Wilkins pen 78, Connor Lavery 87) Rhyl Dragons 4 (Barry Roche 15, Adam Cassidy 35, 50 & 85)

Llanelwy Athletic 7 (Joel Rowlands 18, 63, 79 & 88, Gary Fazackerley 21, Dan Price 72, Steve Kirk 90+5) Llandudno Amateurs 4 (Mike Chapman 1, Chris Smyth 4, Sol Pita 33, Chris Snow OG 90)

Penrhyn Bay Dragons 1 (Jack Kearney 24) Llysfaen 2 (Alec Jones 19, Jake Reynolds 45+3)

Rhos United 5 (Lee Sealey 2 & 63, Adam Noble 44 & 56, Phemmy Allison 75) Y Glannau 1 (Chris Rogers 90)

Rhyl All Stars 3 (Harrison Bellis pen 37, Joe Smith 56 & 68) CPD Henllan 0

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: