Welsh Cup: Saltney fly flag for underdogs on a big day for top two tiers

Bodedern and Ruthin Town (red) do battle. Picture: WYNNE EVANS


Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant 3 Saltney Town 5

Amidst all the misery of a disastrous day for the Welsh Cup underdogs from North Wales beamed a shining light called Saltney Town.

The tier 3 Ardal North West high flyers came away 5-3 winners from Cymru North favourites Llanrhaeadr.

In a first half which saw near misses aplenty at both ends, Llan took a 40th minute lead through Tom Gale.

Saltney levelled 11 minutes into the second half through Tommy Booth, then Ryan McCleary netted from the penalty spot on 70.

Jordan O’Brien then made it 3-1 from a wide free kick after 78.

The drama was only about to start. Two own goals in as many minutes from Steve Chiocchi and Jack Roberts made it three-apiece.

Lesser sides may have fallen apart – but not Saltney.

Instead, added time net-finders from McCleary and Chiocchi won them an enthralling tie

Bodedern Athletic 4 Ruthin Town 5

Bodedern almost pulled off the mother of all Welsh Cup comebacks as they fought back from 5-0 down after 68 minutes to score four goals and almost force extra time against opponents two leagues above them.

Going into Saturday’s tie with 11 straight wins in all competitions on their record, tier 4 North Wales Coast West Premier Division side Boded were firm underdogs taking on visitors from the Cymru North.

And proceedings looked to be going very much to the script after a Josh Jones double and Jamie Cumming single handed Town a 3-0 half time lead.

Ruthin (red) on the ball. Picture: WYNNE EVANS

Jones completed his hat-trick three minutes after the break and when Matty Hill made it five on 56 minutes the home supporters must have been fearing a cricket score.

However, Ricky Williams’ side knuckled down and gave their opponents a real scare in the closing 25 minutes.

Top-scorer Asa Thomas struck twice, one a penalty, to reach 20 goals for the season, with Eric Leach and Jordan Taylor also finding the net to cut the deficit to one.

Ruthin were mightily received to hear the final whistle.

Cefn Druids 0 Holyhead Hotspur 0
(Druids won 4-2 on penalties)

Cymru North visitors Hotspur could easily have finished victorious against the Cymru Premier Druids.

In the end, the match finished 0-0 and the Ancients needed penalties to progress.

Hotspur manager Darren Garmey said: “We were desperately unlucky to not have won in 90 minutes today. Losing on penalties is never nice but to lose after such a good performance is hard to take.

“We were the only side looking to play football all game and the way the game finished with penalties looked like the only way we could lose the game.

“But once the dust has settled and the feeling of losing the shootout has gone we will look back at the game, take all the positives and carry the momentum into next week.”

In a cagey first half, Liam Morris forced home keeper Ryan Neild into two very good saves.

After the break the game opened up with big chances for Adam Pritchard, Jay Gibbs and Morris.

Alex Lynch then came to the rescue as he saved a one on one from Joe Faux in one of Druids rare attacks.

Connah’s Quay Nomads 5 CPD Y Rhyl 1879 0

Three goals in the last eight minutes from Nomads meant the final scoreline did little justice to the efforts of a visiting team operating three leagues below the Cymru Premier champions.

It was not until first half injury time that the hosts managed a breakthrough, Byron Harrison on target.

George Horan’s goal on 62 minutes gave Andy Morrison’s men some breathing space.

In the closing minutes Callum Morris (pen), Horan and Kris Owen put the Deesiders out of sight.

Denbigh Town 0 Caernarfon Town 4

Noah Edwards (yellow shirt) attacks at the byline for Caernarfon. Picture: ROY GUNTHER

Two goals and a pair of assists from Caernarfon’s Rob Hughes put paid to Denbigh’s hopes of a shock result.

On a plush new surface at Central Park, the tier 3 Ardal North West hosts were very much second favourites against their Cymru Premier visitors.

And the first half often showed the gulf in class, Hughes’ superb pass setting up Cai Jones for an easy finish on nine minutes.

Iwan Cartwright headed home unchallenged from a Hughes corner in the 36th minute.

And the contest was all but over two minutes before the break when fleet-footed trickery from Hughes in the box led to a clinical finish.

Denbigh were much more competitive in the second half, a downward header from Jacob Walker forcing a good save from Jakub Ojrzyński.

Joe Griffith produced some super stops in the home goal, but he was powerless to prevent Hughes making it 4-0 from an angle seven minutes from time.

Flint Town United 5 CPD Penrhyndeudraeth 0

While tier 4 Penrhyn had already caused a couple of notable cup upsets this season, the might of Cymru Premier hosts Flint was a bridge too far.

Top league legend Mike Wilde struck twice in the first half and Jack Kenny made it 3-0 at the break.

Visiting keeper Morgan Jones saved a Kenny penalty in the second half.

However, late goals from Mark Cadwallader and Kenny ensured the Silkmen went nap.

Prestatyn Town 6 Rhostyllen 0

Although they have struggled to win in the league at home of late, Prestatyn had no such problems against tier 3 visitors Rhostyllen in the Welsh Cup.

Jamie Reed, Ashley Ruane, Ryan Wade, Tom Rowlands, Mason Blackwell-Jones and Sam Spridgeon all netted for the Seasiders.

Llandudno Albion 3 Guilsfield 5

Trailing 4-0 early in the second half, Albion of tier 3 battled back to give the final scoreline much more respectability against the unbeaten Cymru North leaders.

First half goals from Adam Jenkins, Jake Cook and Jamie Hyne, before Iwan Matthews bagged a brace after the break, put Guils 5-1 up before a late rally from the home side.

David Maddock netted twice and Luke Smith also struck for Albion.

Llanidloes Town 1 Bangor City 4

Substitute Elliot Jones gave the Daffs a half time lead before City took control after the turnaround.

Giacomo Mello equalised on 49 minutes before Dante Isla added a hat-trick.

The New Saints 6 Llanrwst United 0

Louis Robles (2), Jake Canavan (2), Dean Ebbe and Jeanny Leblanc-Akpo shared the goals as Saints did what was expected of them.

Bala Town 17 Brymbo 1

Chris Venables (5, 2 pens) Bradley Bauress (3), Kieran Smith (2), Will Evans, Ollie Shannon, Paul Rutherford, Danny Walker-Rice (2), Dave Edwards and Steve Leslie combined to produce a home goal fest, Mike Thompson actually having pulled tier 3 Brymbo level after 13 minutes.

Conwy Borough 3 Cefn Albion 2

Corrig McGonigle snatched the winner for Boro in a pulsating tie at Y Morfa.

Meilir Williams and Morgan Murray put the Cymru North hosts two-up before Mike Latham and Nic Jones brought the tier 3 visitors level.

Buckley Town 3 Porthmadog 1

Asa Hamilton struck twice as Buckley advanced to the third round.

Ruben Teixiera was also on the mark for the hosts, Julian Williams replying from the penalty spot.

Gresford Athletic 1 Colwyn Bay 2

Mitch Bryant gave the Bay the lead just before half time, Joe Chaplin equalised with a penalty near the hour, but Sam Jones grabbed a 71st minute decider for the Seagulls.

Llandudno 1 Airbus UK Broughton 2

Beau Cornish and Jake Eyre put the Wingmakers two goals in front before a Lee Thomas reply on 61 minutes gave Tudno hope, but Steve O’Shaughnessy’s men advanced to the next stage.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: