North Wales football reports July 14 – wins for Sports, Isa, Rhuddlan and Llanberis

Ifan Mansoor scored twice for Llanberis at Menai Bridge. Picture: WYNNE EVANS

Wednesday night North Wales football match reports – July 14, 2021

North Wales Coast East League Premier Division

Prestatyn Sports 1 (Jones pen)
Llandyrnog United 0

Mike Jones’ second half penalty was enough to ensure Prestatyn Sports’ first-ever league game at their new ground The Meadows was a winning one.

The game started well for Sports, who were seemingly comfortable in possession for large periods of the opening half.

Some good football was played out from the back with the hosts pressing for an opening but falling short in clear cut chances.

Both teams looked to turn up the tempo at the start of the second half and Llandyrnog emerged as more of an attacking threat.

A half chance for the away side woke Sports up and they went on to dominate.

A few chances were spurned, set pieces and corners putting pressure on the Dyrny back line, before eventually a header seemed destined to clearly go over the line but was fished out by a hand.

Penalty to Sports and Jones converted.

With Llandyrnog rallying, the game became more physical and Sports went down to 10 men when Jason Blackmore picked up a red for an unfortunate tackle.

Sports held out for the three points in a close game.

North East Wales League Premier Division

Halkyn and Flint Mountain 1 (Mark Foster 39)
Mynydd Isa Spartans 4 (Michael Fleetwood 36, Joe Mitchell 43, Kallum Pierce 67, Sam Reilly 82)

Unbeaten Spartans made it seven points from a possible nine as they continued their impressive start to the season with an emphatic win at Halkyn & Flint Mountain.

The first half was fast paced, the hosts earning several corners which the Spartans dealt with well, Joey Jones making a clearance off the line to keep the score level. Spartans started to get some momentum with Joe Mitchell going close.

The visitors got themselves a corner from which Jones forced the keeper to save. Another flag kick and this time it was Mikey Fleetwood with a diving header to make it 1-0 in the 36th minute.

Mountain replied quickly with a Mark Foster header, but their celebrations were cut short when before half time Joe Mitchell made it 2-1 after linking up well with Sam Reilly.

The second half was to be another constant battle. Mountain looked the busier side in front of goal for 10 minutes until something of a mad moment.

Luke Woolley found Kal Pierce who tussled with the defender and rifled a shot into the upper corner of the goal.

With the ball nestling in the net everybody awaited to see what the referee would call and after some consideration he pointed for a goal to make it 3-1.

The match now full of controversy went into the last third and was full of endless battles, the referee refusing to use a card adding fuel to the fire.

Both sides found themselves throwing everything at it, but it was another Woolley ball that helped the Spartans attack on their way, Reilly nodding the ball over the defender and finishing superbly into the bottom corner for 4-1.

To top off the occasion for Spartans, their keeper Karl Billingsley made a top drawer save late on.

North Wales Coast East Premier Division

Bro Cernyw 3 (Harry Kirkham 36 & 45, Osian Roberts 61)
Rhuddlan Town 4 (Ryan Potts 32 & 47, Jordan Taylor 47, Matty Rees 83)

Ryan Potts scored twice for Rhuddlan

With several players missing due to work commitments, being away or self-isolating Rhuddlan still produced a great away win at Cernyw.

Putting some lovely passes together. Town took the lead with a well-taken Ryan Potts goal.

The visitors started to take control but an error at the back gifted Bro a goal scored by Harry Kirkham to make it 1-1.

Bro built on that goal by adding another one through Kirkham to put them ahead at half time.

In the second half, Rhuddlan’s latest addition to the management team, Jay Whitehouse, changed the formation. New signing Jordan Taylor came on for Marcus Scott and Jordan Bellham moved to centre back.

A fantastic change it proved to be with Bellham having a great half, playing a part in the build up to a couple of goals.

Bellham’s good clearance led to some nice play with Taylor dropping the ball to Potts, who smashed it home.

It was all Rhuddlan and they notched a third, Taylor getting his first goal for the club with some more great play.

The visitors switched off again when a long ball into their box was not dealt with and Osian Roberts made it 3-3.

Rhuddlan, still playing some good football but with heavy legs nonetheless managed to get the winner with Matty Rees finding the top corner with 10 minutes to go.

A massive team performance from Town, with former manager Wayne Hughes also making a rare appearance.

North Wales Coast West Premier Division

Menai Bridge Tigers 0
Llanberis 2 (Ifan Mansoor 30, 45)

Action photo from the match by WYNNE EVANS

Perhaps still suffering a hangover from Saturday’s 8-2 Welsh Cup defeat to Bangor 1876, Menai Bridge were not at the races at home to an impressive Llanberis side at Treborth.

Both away goals came from Ifan Mansoor in the first half.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: