Flashback – 5 years ago: Holywell reach the NEWFA Challenge Cup final

Phil Lloyd (red) was on the mark for Holywell

Holywell Town 4 (Davidson 4, Lloyd 10, P D Williams 40 pen, Griffith 76)
Chirk AAA 2 (L Jones pen 30, A Williams 90)
NEWFA Challenge Cup semi-final – May 17, 2016

Holywell advanced to the North East Wales FA Challenge Cup final at the expense of Chirk five years ago this week.

Buckley’s Globe Way was the venue for this last four clash between the Cymru Alliance Wellmen and the Colliers from a level below Welsh National League Premier Division.

Town had a dream start as they took the lead after four minutes, Ryan Davidson side-footing home after a great cross by Tom Rowlands from the left.

Six minutes later, Johnny Haseldin’s men doubled their lead.

Phil Lloyd picked up a loose ball in the box and slotted past advancing keeper Zac Bebbington for 2-0.

The Wellmen were playing great football, a fine through ball by Tony Roebuck putting Lloyd in on goal, but Bebbington got down well to save with his legs.

Town then won a free kick on the edge of the area. Rowlands’ effort forced a flying save out of Bebbington, who dived to his right to parry the ball out for a corner.

A few minutes later, Connor Littler had the ball in the net but referee Tom Owen disallowed the goal for handball.

Chirk managed their first real effort on goal on 26 minutes, Gareth Roberts getting in a good shot which Mike Platt had to block with his hands. The loose ball fell to Lewis Jones, whose shot crept inches wide of the right-hand post.

Chirk pulled a goal back shortly afterwards. Platt collided with Chirk forward Nathan Lavender and the referee pointed to the spot. Lewis Jones stepped and fired into the back of the net.

Littler worked Bebbington again before Holywell were awarded a penalty themselves after Lloyd was brought down just inside the area.

Paul D Williams converted to make it 3-1 to the Wellmen at the halfway stage.

Half-time: Holywell Town 3 Chirk AAA 1

Early in the second half, Lloyd burst clear and from a tight angle got in his shot which the keeper could only parry into the path of Davidson, but his effort flew over the bar.

Chirk then won a free kick in a dangerous position and Ashton Williams’ header was only inches over Platt’s crossbar.

The Wellmen made the game safe on 76 minutes as Dafydd Griffith rose well to head the ball home from Steve Thomas’ inswinging corner from the left.

As the game entered stoppage time, Chirk grabbed a consolation goal as Williams broke clear and slotted the ball past the advancing Platt.

Holywell would meet Cefn Druids in the final.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: