Match report: Cefn Druids 0 Caernarfon Town 7 (30/4/2016)

Jamie Breese was a hat-trick hero at The Rock on this date 5 years ago. Picture: Paul Evans, CTFC chairman

Cefn Druids 0
Caernarfon Town 7 (C Williams 2, Breese 3, Craig 2, 1 pen)
Huws Gray Alliance League – April 30, 2016

Match report by Paul Evans

Five years ago today Caernarfon Town clinched the Huws Gray Alliance League title with an electrifying performance against their closest title challengers Cefn Druids.

Both sides had been among the tier 2 league front-runners throughout the campaign but it was the Canaries who proved by far the stronger as they overpowered the hosts with a display full of sharp passing and movement, and deadly finishing in front of goal.

Town knew that victory would see them crowned champions with two matches still to go whilst a Druids success would see them keep alive their outside hopes of the title.

Action from The Rock. Photo: Mike Smith

With more than 150 travelling Cofi supporters in attendance at The Rock, Iwan Williams’ team started brightly and were given an early lead through Clive Williams, who picked up a Jay Gibbs pass before setting on a run past three Druids players on his way into the box.

The defender made no mistake when faced by the onrushing Cefn keeper Louis Mackin, the ball thundering past him and into the hosts’ net.

Druids looked to get back into the game instantly but were denied space by the hard-working Town midfield and defence.

They had to wait until the 10th minute before their first opportunity, Dave Forbes dragging his effort wide of the upright.

Town doubled their lead in the 12th minute when Danny Brookwell took possession in the centre circle and found Jamie Breese with a smart pass that the striker took in his stride before thumping the ball through the legs of Mackin.

Caernarfon took another giant step towards the title in the 19th minute, Gibbs this time providing the killer ball from midfield for Breese, who stepped around Mackin before sliding the ball into an empty net.

Caernarfon (light blue) players in the thick of it. Picture: Mike Smith

The hosts were finding it difficult to cope with Caernarfon’s pace up front and, with Brookwell in full flow as he sped towards goal in the 38th minute, Mackin brought him down inside the box. Nathan Craig sent the keeper the wrong way with his spot-kick.

Away keeper Paul Pritchard was called into action twice in as many minutes soon after, thwarting goalbound efforts from Whitfield and Kershaw.

In the 41st minute the Cofi glovesman was forced into his best save of the afternoon, when he dived full length to keep out a Jack Graham free-kick.

Half-time: Druids 0 Caernarfon 4

There was no let up for Druids in the second half as Caernarfon looked to further extend their lead and Darren Thomas and Gibbs both went close to doing just this before the fifth goal arrived in the 58th minute.

Thomas played a deft pass into the danger area for Breese, whose shot was deflected for a corner by a home defender.

The Druids defence failed to clear their lines from the resulting flag kick and Craig struck from 20 yards – 0-5 !.

Got a bit lively at the end

Breese completed his hat-trick midway through the half with another fine finish and Kevin Lloyd did well to set Clive Williams up with an easy put away in the 82nd minute to put the final touch on a glorious afternoon for the Cofis.

he hosts frustrating afternoon got worse as full time approached when Graham was given his marching orders for violent conduct.

Caernarfon team: Paul Pritchard, Joe Williams, Clive Williams, Chris Williams, Grahame Austin, Gareth Edwards, Nathan Craig, Jay Gibbs, Jamie Breese, Darren Thomas, Danny Brookwell. Subs (used): Kevin Lloyd, Kevin Roberts, Toby Jones.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: