Flashback – 10 years ago: Cai Jones hits the winner for Port at Ruthin

Cai Jones (light blue – facing) scored Port’s winner. Picture: Dorothy Williams

Ruthin Town 1 (Joe Price 37)
CPD Porthmadog 2 (Paul Roberts 31, Cai Jones 59)
Cymru Alliance – April 25, 2011

It took two excellent goals for Port to achieve this victory and the fact they struck the post three times emphasises this was a well-deserved three points.

This Cymru Alliance clash played 10 years ago this week saw the visitors start well playing into a stiff breeze and Jamie McDaid was busy early on.

In only the second minute he broke down the right, finding Paul Roberts in the box, but the striker’s shot was well blocked.

Twice in the following minutes, McDaid forced Town keeper Gareth Barker to save at the expense of a corner.

Despite playing on one of the best away surfaces for several months, the swirling wind and bone-hard ground made life difficult for both sides.

Ruthin attacks were few but Port were well aware of the danger Kevin Garland posed and were glad to see his header from Joe Garner’s cross drift wide.

On 31 minutes the deadlock was broken when Paul Roberts picked up a pass 25 yards out, turned well and made room for himself before unleashing a cracker which gave Barker no chance at all.

Dan Pyrs’ well-hit shot flew narrowly wide before totally against the run of play Ruthin equalised after 37 with an opportunist goal.

They were awarded a free kick just inside the Port half and Shaun Williams slipped the ball to Joe Price only a few yards away.

The full back teed it up before unleashing a thunderous 40 yard shot which caught Richard Harvey slightly off his line and in the swirling wind the ball sailed high into the top of the Port net.

The away team almost replied immediately when Darren Gowans cut into the box from the left and fired through a crowded box. Barker did well to save as he only saw it at the last moment.

A minute later Mike Foster slipped a glorious ball into the box for Paul Roberts who was very unlucky to see his shot thump the bar and bounce to safety.

Half-time: 1-1

Port started the second half on fire, Foster floating a shot which smacked the upright and Barker pulled off a good save from Paul Roberts following up.

Pressure continued and Barker was soon in action again saving low at his near post from Gowans.

Just before the hour mark came the second Port goal and again it was well-worked with an excellent finish.

Pyrs burst from midfield before lifting a quality ball over the defence for Cai Jones to race on to. The young forward controlled well and finished confidently with a low shot from 10 yards.

Three minutes later Pyrs’ attempt spanked the foot of the post. This was followed by another Pyrs effort from way out which Barker saved well.

Ruthin were finding it difficult to make an impact on the game now. They caused some problems from corners but the Port back four were largely in control and Rhys Roberts kept a tight rein on Garland.

With time running out Paul Roberts went close and in added time Rhys Roberts had a shot cleared off the line following a Marcus Orlik corner.

Ruthin: Gareth Barker, Jamie Price, Will Roberts, Jack Jones, Shaun Williams, Mark Entwistle, Arron Aby, Matthew Davies, Kevin Garland, Adam Jenkins, Joe Garner. Subs: Chris Hogg, Tryfan Prosser, Miles Todd, Ben Jones.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Jack Jones, Mike Foster, Richie Owen (Darren Jones 89), Gareth Owen, Rhys Roberts, Jamie McDaid, Dan Pyrs, Paul Roberts, Cai Jones, Darren Gowans (Marcus Orlik 73). Subs not used: Carl Owen, Mervyn Williams (GK).

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: