Flashback – 10 years ago: Port win seven-goal stormer at Rhos Aelwyd

Ryan Davies (left – red and black) opens the scoring for Port. All pictures: Dorothy Williams

Rhos Aelwyd 2 (Jon Rush 18 & 46)
CPD Porthmadog 5 (Ryan Davies 10, Paul Roberts 41, 87 & 90, Mike Foster 89 pen)
Cymru Alliance League – April 23, 2011

Seven goals, three penalties – two saved – two red cards and a hat-trick for Paul Roberts – what an amazing game involving Rhos Aelwyd and Porthmadog played on this date 10 years ago!

Three very late goals for Port ensured the final scoreline reflected their dominance as they completed a double over the Aelwyd.

The Wrexham area club had to play for the last 25 minutes with only nine players as Andy Torrance followed Dan Gibbon off the field having received a straight red card.

Port, however, were totally dominant and could easily have been four goals up within the first quarter-hour.

Only stout home defence allied to umpteen squandered chances prevented the travellers from being way out of sight quite early in the proceedings.

In the very first minute Roberts could have put the visitors ahead when he fired wide when well-placed on the edge of the box.

Twice soon after Roberts was denied by Aelwyd keeper Simon Williams, the second stop an excellent save.

With 10 minutes gone Port gained a well deserved lead when Rhys Roberts headed a Marcus Orlik corner back across goal for Ryan Davies to squeeze his header inside the post.

Having been penned back in their own half Rhos did finally break out and Josh Russell’s angled shot was well saved by Richard Harvey.

Port could have been four goals up inside the first 15 minutes but with 18 gone the home side drew level against the run of play.

Russell broke down the right and slipped the ball inside for Kevin Fitzsimmons, whose excellent cross was headed past Harvey from five yards by Jon Rush.

Following this setback Port continued to dominate and a good Jack Jones cross provided Orlik with a shooting opportunity but the attempt drifted narrowly wide.

Jamie McDaid, who was having a tremendous game threatening down the right before switching to the left, burst from midfield to provide Paul Roberts with a superb through ball, only for more disappointment as the striker’s shot struck the foot of the post before bouncing to safety.

Hat-trick hero Paul Roberts (No 9 – red) threatens for the visitors

With four minutes left to the interval controversy struck as Orlik raced into the box with only the keeper to beat and found himself upended with a tackle from behind.

Referee Nick Pratt consulted his linesman before showing the tackler Gibbon a straight red card as the last defender, and awarded a penalty.

Diving to his right, Williams pushed out Roberts’ spot-kick only for the same player to follow up and score from the rebound to make the score 2-1 at the interval.

Half-time: Rhos Aelwyd 1 Porthmadog 2

Rhos were out of the blocks at pace at the start of the second half and Harvey had to race off his line to go down at the feet of Mike Burke, but the ball squirted kindly to Rush, who netted his second lifting the ball into the empty goal.

The 10 men now had something to hold on to and defended in numbers, relying on Burke and Rush to strike on the break.

The home side defended well and the Port chances were now far fewer than in the opening period.

Orlik tested Williams with a powerful shot which the keeper needed a second bite to complete his save and Ben Jones for Rhos drew a good stop from Harvey.

But with 65 minutes gone Port did manage to open up the Rhos defence and with Williams finding himself stranded off his line, Roberts fired goalwards from eight yards only to be denied a goal by the hand of Torrance, who received his marching orders from Mr Pratt for a deliberate handball.

Marcus Orlik (10) had this penalty saved by Simon Williams

This time Orlik stepped up for the spot kick and again Williams saved but this time there was no fortunate rebound so nine-man Rhos still had something to defend.

Marshalled by Waynne Phillips they stuck to their task and indeed it looked very likely that they would escape with a point. Richie Owen almost made it 3-2 with a 35 yard cracker which rattled the post.

Then with three minutes of normal time left Gareth Owen lifted a superb deep cross from the right touchline, dipping perfectly on to Roberts’ head and the striker made no mistake.

Two minutes later and the ever lively McDaid was tripped in the box. Forward came Port’s third penalty taker of the afternoon and this time Mike Foster drilled home for 4-2.

With normal time up there was still enough on the clock left for another goal.

McDaid capitalised on a well-worked Port move to break into the box and looked certain to score a goal which his play on the afternoon richly deserved, but his shot struck the underside of the bar and bounced back, only for Roberts to gratefully accept his second rebound of the afternoon to complete a hat-trick!

What a game!

Rhos Aelwyd: Simon Williams, Dave McIntyre, Craig Hughes (Jamie Jones 70), Kevin Fitzsimmons, Andy Torrance, Dan Gibbon,  Ben Jones, Waynne Phillips, Mike Burke, Jon Rush (Matthew Holmes), Josh Russell. Subs not used: Darren Hignett, Mike Parry, Mike Pugh. Red Cards: Dan Gibbon 41, Andy Torrance 65.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Jack Jones (Carl Owen 54), Mike Foster, Richie Owen, Ryan Davies (Darren Jones 69), Gareth Owen, Jamie McDaid, Rhys Roberts, Paul Roberts, Marcus Orlik, Darren Gowans (Cai Jones 74).  

Many thanks to Gareth Williams for the words and Dorothy Williams for the photos from this amazing game

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: