Flashback – 20 years ago: Steven Pugh pair bags Porthmadog points at Brymbo

Steven Pugh (front row – furthest right) in a Porthmadog line up from 1998. Pugh scored both Port goals in a 2-1 win at Brymbo Broughton on April 21, 2001

Brymbo Broughton 1 (Plant)
Porthmadog 2 (Pugh 2)
Huws-Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League – April 21, 2001

Two second half goals from Steve Pugh sealed Porthmadog a well-deserved win at Brymbo on this date 20 years ago.

Port started poorly, giving the hosts too much respect and tending to sit back, leaving Emyr Jones to play the lone striker role.

Charlie Broadhurst had a chance to put the home team in front in the second minute, but his shot, when free in the box, went just wide.

Andy Wynne also went close for Brymbo Broughton, then after 22 minutes it seemed Port would face an uphill struggle when Kevin Roberts was given his marching orders for the use of bad language.

This setback, if anything, spurred Port to push forward with Lewis Coady not far off with a long range attempt.

But things shortly looked pretty black for the visitors when Martin Plant edged BB ahead following a through ball from Wynne, leaving him with only keeper Tony Roberts to beat.

Half-time: Brymbo Broughton 1 Porthmadog 0

Port went at their opponents with greater urgency in the second half, and after only two minutes had levelled proceedings.

Usual provider Pugh became scorer, heading home well from a great left-footed cross by Dafydd Evans.

The same combination gave Port the lead six minutes later, Evans this time with a through ball to former Wrexham forward Pugh, who held off the defender too coolly net his second.

The opening eight of the second-half were to prove decisive and the game was decided during this period.

Emyr Jones almost added a third away goal after Coady had set him up.

Roberts made fine saves from Plant and Wynne, then Port had a narrow escape on 70 minutes after Warren Gibbs’ attempted header to his keeper only found BB’s Kevin Breeze, but Broadhurst’s subsequent shot went across the face of the goal.

Dafydd Evans nearly made it a hat-trick of assists to cap another good performance, but Emyr Jones could not quite control the ball.

Port’s good run of form continued, with their record since the turn of 2001 speaking for itself.

Out of the 42 points on offer, they had managed to snap up 35.

Brymbo Broughton: K. Anders, P. Jones, S. Wynne, K. Wynne, T. Manuel, S. Edwards, M. Plant, P.Jones, C. Broadhurst, K. Breeze, A. Wynne. Subs: D. Jones, K. Smith, P. Hollinshead.

Porthmadog: Tony Roberts, Warren Gibbs, Mike Foster, Neil Roberts, Martin Jones, Lewis Coady (Gareth Caughter), Danny Hughes, Dafydd Evans, Steven Pugh, Kevin Roberts, Emyr Jones (Osian Roberts). Sub not used: Owain Jones.

Many thanks to Iwan Gareth of the CPD Porthmadog website for match report and Colin Hawkins for photo


In 1996, Brymbo FC merged with neighbouring village team New Broughton FC to create Brymbo Broughton.

At that time Brymbo played in the Cymru Alliance League while New Broughton were in the Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) Premier Division.

In 2005, Brymbo Broughton merged with Summerhill United to form Summerhill Brymbo. This lasted for one season before the name was reverted to Brymbo for the 2006–07 campaign.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: